GDT: Maple Leafs at Flames Oct. 30 on TSN

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Actually, I do remember MarkGio sounding off about Backlund prior to the scratch, so 'credit' to him. I disagreed with him then, and I disagree with him now. But thank you for this post.

Yes, this is true. But I wasn't aware of the numbers HighLifeMan has presented to us. When I criticized Backlund, I recall mentioning that he is/was very good defensively.

If offensive production is what Hartley wants out of Backlund then he needs to start putting him in the situations where he has a legitimate chance of reaching those expectations. Mikael Backlund has by far the most defensive zone starts out of any forward on this team, and compared to the other center's it is not even remotely close.

Offensive Zone Starts
Joe Colborne - 65%
Sean Monahan - 58.5%
Matt Stajan - 53.8%
-
-
-
Mikael Backlund - 41%

As you can see here one player is being relied upon to do the heavy lifting in the defensive zone. You could make the argument that Mikael Backlund is the reason that Colborne and Monahan have looked so confident out there, and he is for sure the reason they have been given the easier assignments.

You can't have it both ways..and Hartley needs to realize that. Hopefully with a healthy Stajan in the lineup on a consistent basis it will allow for Backlund to take on more of an offensive role instead of being relied upon so heavily in a pure defensive capacity.

Basically what I am saying is that Hartley is either asking far to much out of Backlund given his current role on this team, or...that role needs to be changed completely.

These are the numbers I speak of. Very telling data and, as always, a well thought analysis from HLM.

Yes.. I have watched the games (thanks for asking..) and I disagree with your and assessment of his play. So be it..

There is a difference between whining/complaining and having a differing opinion on a certain matter/decision/player/coach etc... I am well within my rights as a fan of this team to question and sometimes disagree with the decisions that are being made on a day to day basis.

Just because the team is exceeding the expectations of many does not suggest that they should be free of any and all criticism's. I am far from a pessimist but I don't (and shouldn't) agree with every roster move that is made, and I am not afraid to voice that opinion when such a thing does happen.

Yes, HLM watches the games and IMO watches them with a keen eye and understanding of hockey. His contributions and analysis should not be dismissed or belittled whatsoever, except when they dispute Markgio's posts!

And you're a Hartley fanboy. Seriously, what is gained by posts like this? If you don't want to debate an opposite opinion, then don't reply to those posts.

Highlife man has made some very valid points and I find it extremely conspicuous that everyone with something negative to say about Backlund waited until AFTER he was benched to let their opinions be known. If he was playing so poorly I find it odd no one had anything to say about it prior to then.

Yes, all good points. I had not noticed any overt criticism towards Backlund (other than my own) until his recent scratching. I will also admit that my frustration towards Backlund may have been influenced by a struggling fantasy hockey club that will go unnamed at this time... for privacy reasons....

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yes, all good points. I had not noticed any overt criticism towards Backlund (other than my own) until his recent scratching. I will also admit that my frustration towards Backlund may have been influenced by a struggling fantasy hockey club that will go unnamed at this time... for privacy reasons....

Yeah, I figured this might have something to do with it, too. :laugh:

Part of the reason I wanted to get him off your hands via trade was just to improve your objectivity on the subject. ;)

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Yeah, I figured this might have something to do with it, too. :laugh:

Part of the reason I wanted to get him off your hands via trade was just to improve your objectivity on the subject. ;)

Sure...

I too wouldn't want to admit to getting fleeced in a trade.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Oh I see. Now that it's popular, everybody and their cousins have been criticizing Backlund. :sarcasm:

Hahaha! :laugh: I only said it because a poster said they can't remember anyone criticizing him before this scratch. I was just like ummmm no I've been on his ass for years. :laugh: The last 2-3 years I've been saying if he doesn't break out this year, he's done. Well I think this is the year. I know he's still young but I'm not sure how much longer management will give him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I hope I'm not coming across of being overly critical of Backlund, but rather I'm trying to be more objective. I've said the same things about Backlund ever since he first made his debut as a Flame. He's always shown us flashes of great play, then he disappears for stretches. If he could become consistent with his good play, he would be a real effective NHL'er. Backlund needs to figure out a way to put it all together.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I hope I'm not coming across of being overly critical of Backlund, but rather I'm trying to be more objective. I've said the same things about Backlund ever since he first made his debut as a Flame. He's always shown us flashes of great play, then he disappears for stretches. If he could become consistent with his good play, he would be a real effective NHL'er. Backlund needs to figure out a way to put it all together.

As always even though I may not agree with you on everything, I can understand where you are coming from. Atleast you are consistent in your views and respect the opinions of other's when they disagree with you.

I can absolutely agree with you that Backlund has not been playing his best hockey as of late, but I certainly do not believe his minutes should have diminished so quickly, and most importantly he should not have come out of the lineup at all (especially when we only had three natural center's on the roster). By doing so it essentially limited us to rolling only three lines all night, and forced two younger players in Colborne and Bouma to play either out of position or above their capabilities. It was an unnecessary move that limited our chances of winning against an above average opponent.

At the end of the day however it was only a one game kick in the butt for Backlund so there is no point dragging this discussion even further. As you and others have said hopefully he takes it the right way and gets himself out of the doghouse.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Oh please. Backlund has been invisible offensively. Anyone who thinks otherwise has not been paying attention or they are blind to the facts.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I guess I haven't been paying attention to the games I watch and I'm blind to the facts. :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Your posts have been really hostile lately. Is everything okay at home? Do you need someone to talk to?
just am getting extremely tired of fans finding excuses to ***** about a coaching staff that has a team far exceeding expectations. Is it so hard to just sit back and enjoy the ride?

Besides sitting a player for a single game means pretty much nothing, its when they sit for multiple games you have to start being concerned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad