Manuel Wiederer / Maximilian Glassl

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Just wondering if anyone has info on these guys. Both were chosen by the Moncton Wildcats of the QMJHL . What type of players ? Will they have Major Junior impact ? Will they report to Moncton ?

I am no scout and I have actually never played hockey myself, at any level, so take everything I state with a grain of salt, since it is based mostly on stat watching, hearsay, and a few games I have seen them play at junior tournaments (World Juniors, World Hockey Challenge, etc.)

Glässl is a big kid and quite mobile for his size, but last time I watched him he had trouble keeping up with the play when it got real fast. If he manages to adjust to the tempo of the game he has all the tools. I have seen him make nice and smart outlet passes, he is capable of using his body, as well as his stick to break up plays and is shot while not his biggest strength is not that bad either.

Here is an article that has a little bit about Glässl:
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...man-prospect-others-norway-denmark-austria/2/

Wiederer has played against men since the 2012-13 season. For two years he split his time between junior hockey and the 3rd tier men's league. Last season he played very few games in juniors and split most of his time between the 2nd tier and elite men's league. Him I have seen very rarely because the few games I caught of him in the German elite league he was not getting all that much ice time.
When I saw him he played with a lot of energy all over the ice. He is not small but rather slight in built, which doesn't stop him from going to the net trying to score.
However, at the men's level and at the World Juniors he was not overly successful so far, but it's not like it is easy to score when you are playing for Germany at the World Juniors.

Maybe someone more qualified can give you better insight, but maybe it helps a little.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
wiederer will definitely report to moncton as it was already announced that he will leave for CHL if he gets drafted.

nothing known about glassl's plans. but since salzburg is no longer in the MHL, i'd guess the CHL is a good option now.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Manuel Weiderer and Maximilian Glassel have both been nice additions.

Weiderer is playing on the top line and seems to have found chemistry with Reining CHL scoring leader Conor Garland. Manuel has been able to maintain PPG pace during his first nine North American games. He's a great skater with amazing vision. He's definitely a set up guy that makes some brilliant players. He also has a sneaky release and is always at the right place at the right time which shows he's smart as well. Glassl hasn't had as much as an impact. He's a physical stay at home type that's anchoring the bottom pair on the blueline. He has good size and uses it to clear the front of the net well and in the corners and along the boards. He does need to adjust to the speed of major junior. His skating is subpar. He really needs to improve his foot speed and over skating style. He also needs to adjust as he gets caught playing to high in the neutral zone and find the play behind him wittout being able to catch up. He's a project but a project you shouldn't count out , with more adjustment time , I think we'll see him game come together during the second half of the season.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Manuel Weiderer and Maximilian Glassel have both been nice additions.

Weiderer is playing on the top line and seems to have found chemistry with Reining CHL scoring leader Conor Garland. Manuel has been able to maintain PPG pace during his first nine North American games. He's a great skater with amazing vision. He's definitely a set up guy that makes some brilliant players. He also has a sneaky release and is always at the right place at the right time which shows he's smart as well. Glassl hasn't had as much as an impact. He's a physical stay at home type that's anchoring the bottom pair on the blueline. He has good size and uses it to clear the front of the net well and in the corners and along the boards. He does need to adjust to the speed of major junior. His skating is subpar. He really needs to improve his foot speed and over skating style. He also needs to adjust as he gets caught playing to high in the neutral zone and find the play behind him wittout being able to catch up. He's a project but a project you shouldn't count out , with more adjustment time , I think we'll see him game come together during the second half of the season.

Thank you very much for your insight, especially regarding the type of game they play. Good to hear that Wiederer is not only doing well on the score sheet, but also displays some decent skill.
I am also reading a Wildcat thread in another forum where I find some reports on their play, mostly about Wiederer, Glassl is rarely mentioned, but nothing there came close to your post, so thank you again.

I hope Glassl develops well, because Germany could really use a good defenseman in the future. Our good ones aren't getting any younger.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I think you'll see Weiderer get an invite at the end of the year and he'll even probably get signed. He has some definite potential. His skating is at the NHL right now and he's been a great find. I could see a team like the Rangers taking a look.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I think you'll see Weiderer get an invite at the end of the year and he'll even probably get signed. He has some definite potential. His skating is at the NHL right now and he's been a great find. I could see a team like the Rangers taking a look.

Thanks for the update.

It would be great if you're right. I am a little worried his stats may be inflated due to him playing with Garland a lot, but I hope since you confirm what his stats are saying, that he really is legit.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Thanks for the update.

It would be great if you're right. I am a little worried his stats may be inflated due to him playing with Garland a lot, but I hope since you confirm what his stats are saying, that he really is legit.

Realize though that Garland missed a half dozen games and Wiederer maintained his PPG average without him. I'm sure playing with Garland helps but he has skill.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
In the last two playoff games Wiederer hat 8 points (6 goals) and helped the Wildcats to beat Gatineau and make it to the semin finals.

Nedved Petr

David Tomasek
Oct 27, 2012
Ontario
Wiederer went 150th overall in round 5 by San Jose.

How high does his ceiling look? Any chance he's skilled enough to play a top 9 role in the NHL?

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
Hey guys I would like to say some of my thoughts on Wiederer. BTW I'm not a professional scout, I track the few german players out there. These are just my thoughts/opinions when I watch him. I have been tracking him all season, watched some games online, highlights etc. Last season 14-15 he played in the DEL the german top pro league, he didn't get much playing time but he played a responsible role. Not a lot interest from scouts because he couldn't show much of what he had.

In the Q he worked along side Coyotes prospect Connor Garland. He recorded a point a game pace for the season along side him. Wiederer has great positioning, and vision, and is excellent defensively. He also has a very sneaky fast shot release. I believe Redline report called him one of the best 2-way forwards in the Q. His skating is good imo, and he tries to be physical even though not being the most built. I would like to see how he does next year without Garland, and see if he could a bit bigger. If he develops I can see him as a 3rd line center, someone like Marcus Kruger.

Here is a link to some of his highlights from CKM sports.

He could become a 2nd line 2-way center as well, just wait and see what happens.

Last edited:

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

How high does his ceiling look? Any chance he's skilled enough to play a top 9 role in the NHL?

I can't see him in a top 6 role in the NHL. Top 9 or more precisely 3rd line would be my guess for his ceiling. Maybe he could temporarily fill in on the 2nd line on a bad team, but I doubt he could play in that role long term.
And all that is if he even makes it to the NHL at all. Even a clearly more talented Tobias Rieder might not become a top6 player in the NHL full time and end up as a reall good 3rd liner, so for Wiederer to get even close to that would be quite the achievement.

PS: Damn you, just because of your user name and avatar I am now starting to read all those books again. :rant::laugh:

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.

I don't expect him to be a top-six player either. Third line sounds like a reasonable ceiling.

The thing with him is that he isn't a gritty, physical player who would succeed on the fourth line, and he isn't good enough offensively to play on the second. His skill and sound two-way game would be perfect for a modern-NHL third line, though. If he makes the NHL, that is.

Munchkin10

Feb 11, 2013
Chicago,Il
I don't expect him to be a top-six player either. Third line sounds like a reasonable ceiling.

The thing with him is that he isn't a gritty, physical player who would succeed on the fourth line, and he isn't good enough offensively to play on the second. His skill and sound two-way game would be perfect for a modern-NHL third line, though. If he makes the NHL, that is.

Third line is what I'm thinking as well, I think he could become a second line center but that is a stretch.

Nedved Petr

David Tomasek
Oct 27, 2012
Ontario
I can't see him in a top 6 role in the NHL. Top 9 or more precisely 3rd line would be my guess for his ceiling. Maybe he could temporarily fill in on the 2nd line on a bad team, but I doubt he could play in that role long term.
And all that is if he even makes it to the NHL at all. Even a clearly more talented Tobias Rieder might not become a top6 player in the NHL full time and end up as a reall good 3rd liner, so for Wiederer to get even close to that would be quite the achievement.

PS: Damn you, just because of your user name and avatar I am now starting to read all those books again. :rant::laugh:

Thanks for the input.
Hahahaha! Great, those books are solid and fun to read. Glad you remembered Morik, never was a major character but he stuck with me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->