Ansar Khan: Mantha's Arrival could be Quick

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ansar while answering questions dropped this which is interesting.

Q: Do you really think Mantha could be in Detroit after just a few weeks of producing in the AHL? - Matthew

A: I think so. I was told a week ago that the Red Wings have discussed bringing up Mantha from the Grand Rapids Griffins in a few weeks if he's playing well. He has two goals and no assists in five games, after an eight-week absence due to a broken tibia.

"He's got too many things going for him not to consider bringing him up," was the way it was explained to me.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/11/ask_ansar_on_when_red_wings_to.html#incart_river

Now he does go on to explain Jurco rebounding and Weiss storming into the lineup, might impact this. Mantha isn't tearing apart the AHL, but he looks very impressive with the Griffins when I have tuned in though the stats might not bare that out right now.

This is interesting though, it seems the Wings are still very interested in seeing Anthony Mantha in Detroit this year.

splot

Jun 12, 2014
If you honestly think that they'd let him play 10 games and lose a year of him as a rfa you're out of your mind.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
No need unless there is significant injuries I would say. I can't see anyone he would play over at the moment bar maybe Helm on the 3rd which essentially moves Jurco back to AHL.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
It's gunna take some time to get back into the swing of things after missing 2 months due to injury. If he plays well, I think they should consider giving him a shot in February or March.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If you honestly think that they'd let him play 10 games and lose a year of him as a rfa you're out of your mind.

At Christmas I am going to have to sit down and read the new CBA. In any event, I didn't think this was the case, he is playing in the pros, his pro clock has started unless I have missed that change. Jurco didn't slide in the AHL when he played as a 19 year old until Christmas?

I am glad they are open to it either way. Right now they don't really need to, but it is interesting that the thought is still there within the organization that Mantha will get a look this year and possibly pretty soon from the way he relayed that. A lot of that is up to Mantha and obviously while it is great to see everyone healthy it is the NHL that will not last maybe not even through tonight so the opportunity seems to exist for him to get some NHL time this year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
At Christmas I am going to have to sit down and read the new CBA. In any event, I didn't think this was the case, he is playing in the pros, his pro clock has started unless I have missed that change. Jurco didn't slide in the AHL when he played as a 19 year old until Christmas?

I know it effects when he loses his waiver eligibility (as has been discussed manyyyy times), not sure how it effects RFA expiration though.

This kid is legit, and if he makes us a better team you play him regardless.

This should help: http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/20...tha-and-his-future-with-the-detroit-red-wings

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

CBA, 9.1 (d)

(i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that
this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December
31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC.

(ii)In the event that a Player signs his first SPC at age 18 and has had his SPC extended pursuant to Subsection (i), and such Player does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the second season under that SPC, then the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be
extended for one (1) additional year.

jurco was 19 when he signed his deal (summer 2012) and his signing age was 20, so it didn't apply to him.

Last edited:

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Choker... was just going to post the same thing.

Basically, if you're 18 or 19, you only gain professional experience by playing 10+ games in the NHL. Players older than that gain a year by playing 10+ games of hockey at any professional level (NHL, AHL, ECHL, European league, etc).

Like others said, Mantha, being 20, isn't really affected here... as far as I can tell.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
CBA, 9.1 (d)

jurco was 19 when he signed his deal (summer 2012) and his signing age was 20, so it didn't apply to him.

Okay that makes sense. Really is a shame on me issue considering how long it has been out now, just have not had the time to read through it, I did actually read the entire old CBA.

I still think Mantha is the kind of guy you don't really care about this rule with, but that is just me.

DetBigWangs

Dec 15, 2009
I'd like to see Mantha play enough games in GR to condition himself after his injury before being called up.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I'd like to see Mantha play enough games in GR to condition himself after his injury before being called up.

As much as everyone wants to see mantha. I am ok with giving him 5-6 games this year.

I think it will be better for MANTHA, to play most the year in the AHL. I want to see him have success there before the NHL.

I know everyone really wants to see this guy succeed. But I think keeping him in the AHL is the best thing to get to that goal.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I'm not going to complain about Mantha getting called up, if that happens, but it seems a bit unfair to call him up over Pulkinnen who has been completely driving the Griffins offense (statistically speaking, of course). I would love to see either of them, both of them, whatever, in the NHL this year. It just seems very odd that Detroit would rush Mantha to the NHL when Pulkinnen looks ready now, and produces like he is ready now.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

Definately, missing training camp through injury then coming back a couple of months later when everyone else is at peak fitness is real hard to do, even for established pros. Give him a month or two to get his conditioning, timing and confidence.

But as for wishing to avoid "burning" a year of RFA eligability,if he comes up and in 9 games proves he belongs in the NHL, quite frankly its irrelevant in this case. We have a young talent here that is potentially a 30 or 40 goal scorer. The only reason to keep him down is if he isn't ready.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
The only reason I'd want to see him called up at this point is if (1) we're losing a ton of games because our offense has gone cold, (2) are hella injured, or (3) Holland has been working the trade table and knows he can get a premiere defenseman if he moves Tatar or Nyquist and wants to see if Mantha can "replace" them.

I really don't think there's any reason whatsoever to bring him up if things keep going the way they are with the Wings. It's not like Mantha is destroying the AHL or can't learn anything down there. I understand that people are excited about him but that's not a good reason to waste any of his 9 games (or more) any time soon.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I would'nt be surprised if Mantha is'nt up by close to Christmas time, Would'nt mind even seeing him up before that. Give him a few more games down in Grand Rapids to get rid of the rust from missing time due to his Injury. And he should be fine. Even if it means sending Jurco down Mantha needs to be with the team.

Satrebil

Aug 3, 2006
Michigan
How is Jonathan Quick relevant here?

In all seriousness, the Wings need to give Mantha a look sooner rather than later.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I'd love to see Mantha but i'd give priority to Pulkkinen if someone in the top 6 is injured. Pulkkinen has been paying his dues and has scored at a great pace.

Tha being said, Mantha should get at least a couple of games in before the end of the year, just to see where he is development-wise.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
This is all fine and dandy, but what about Pulkinnen? This guy NEEDS a look.

Management asked him to take the next step. Well, that's exactly what Teemu has done. The guy is on pace for 40 goals and 85 points this year. Lets see what the kid can do.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

Management asked him to take the next step. Well, that's exactly what Teemu has done. The guy is on pace for 40 goals and 85 points this year. Lets see what the kid can do.

+1, Mantha could use the extra time in GR and Pulu has done more to earn a call a up.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation

+1, Mantha could use the extra time in GR and Pulu has done more to earn a call a up.

Agreed. Think Mantha should spend some time there and get rolling before coming up. No rush

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad