Post-Game Talk: Mantha is on pace for 246 points

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Quick is still a top goalie. Last year he was injured for a long while and his team in general has declined a lot. I don't know if you actually watch the Kings play or you're just looking at stats.

Both. Quick is average. The team declining has nothing to do with his play and actually hurts your point. Great goalies play great on bad teams. And it’s not just last year he’s never been really great in the regular season and the past 2 or so years he hasn’t been great in the playoffs

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Both. Quick is average. The team declining has nothing to do with his play and actually hurts your point. Great goalies play great on bad teams. And it’s not just last year he’s never been really great in the regular season and the past 2 or so years he hasn’t been great in the playoffs
Quick is definitely above average. He's also a big game goaltender.

His save percentage stats swing wildly through the season because he faces like 20 shots a game. Let one in on a high quality score chance and your save % drops to .90%

He's getting really underrated on this board, I think by stats watchers. When he's healthy he's among the best in the league and a large part of the Kings success, not a product of it.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA

His save percentage stats swing wildly through the season because he faces like 20 shots a game. Let one in on a high quality score chance and your save % drops to .90%

He's getting really underrated on this board, I think by stats watchers. When he's healthy he's among the best in the league and a large part of the Kings success, not a product of it.

Yup. He's also one of the most athletic goalies, which is very evident when you watch him.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Just because virtually every team does it doesn't mean it's a good idea. It ties up too much money into a volatile position that rarely pays off. Has Howard 'earned' his contract? Has Rinne? Rask? Lundqvist? I don't think any of the 7m+ goalies have done anything close to earning it. I think a lot of skaters who make that much have earned it though.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

All of the above have earned their contracts. Howard is the closest to have not, but even he has. I don't think you need to have won a Cup to justify the type of contracts that these guys have gotten. Rinne has been a big part of what Nashville's doing and any success they've had. Rask has put Boston in position when they've got their other positions sorted out to make a run at the Cup. Hank Lundqvist has routinely had the Rangers in the latter rounds of the playoffs. Just because they haven't gotten over the hump shouldn't be a "this guy isn't worth his deal" type of thing.

Playoffs are best on best and weird things happen. The best you can hope for is that your guy gives you a chance against the very best that are out there. Each of the goalies you have mentioned here did that.

Goalies are a weird position. It's volatile and having the best one does little more for you than having an okay to good one... however, if you have a crap goalie, you're not winning a damn thing. If you try to make it through the season with Chris Osgood + Ty Conklin like the Wings did in 2009... you better have a team that is loaded for bear literally everywhere else. Goalie is certainly the position that you could spin the wheel at going with a cheaper guy to get the same production, but it's also a position that could tank an otherwise promising run if you're wrong.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

That's not why his save percentage is bad. His save percentage is bad because he's not that great of a goalie anymore. If anything, he puts up better numbers when his team suppresses the shot attempts on him, and as the Kings get worse, the more he gets exposed. It's not "stat watching," that's a ridiculous attempt to marginalize data. He's just not the goalie he was five years ago.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
That's not why his save percentage is bad. His save percentage is bad because he's not that great of a goalie anymore. If anything, he puts up better numbers when his team suppresses the shot attempts on him, and as the Kings get worse, the more he gets exposed. It's not "stat watching," that's a ridiculous attempt to marginalize data. He's just not the goalie he was five years ago.

It's not marginalizing the data, it's contextualizing it by someone who has watched a lot of Quick's play over the years.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Mantha needs to step up this year and become our 30-40 goal scorer everyone slated him to be. Otherwise this team is sunk.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I would enjoy a season where the wings get last place, but Mantha and Larkin each put up 60+ points or 30 goals. Good start for both of them so far

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad