Line Combos: Mantha is now on the 4th line

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I would not let Trashill coach a Bantam house team!!! His whole thing was how good he was with the kids. Well the kids came out last off season and said they do not like him. Every single player has regressed under his time as coach. And we can full well see it this year this team will not play for him at all. Anyone that still is defending him being here needs their head checked out. The guy is not a NHL coach.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
If we're going to make this a veteran vs kids issue, why is Larkin used as an example of an untouchable veteran? :huh: Also, Nielsen was demoted and he's a veteran. Plenty of the people who get blasted have spent time on the 3rd and 4th lines.

Nielsen played less than 12 minutes once this year. Not once last year.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I would not let Trashill coach a Bantam house team!!! His whole thing was how good he was with the kids. Well the kids came out last off season and said they do not like him. Every single player has regressed under his time as coach. And we can full well see it this year this team will not play for him at all. Anyone that still is defending him being here needs their head checked out. The guy is not a NHL coach.

Wouldn't surprise me if that's the reason he still has his job.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Justin Abdelkader is also on pace to hit nearly 50 points this season. I hate him as a top 6 winger, but he's been one of the most effective this season.

I will send you 50$ if Abdelkader hits 50 points. 5 goals and a bunch of secondary assists does not necessarily make an "effective" forward. Here's a stat for you: Abdelkader is 11th in shots, just above Glendening and Ericsson lol. That says a lot more about his actual effect. I see moronic turnovers, way too many off side plays, giveaways, and lost battles a lot more than anything productive. I literally cannot remember a remarkable shift or chance he's helped create. His hands are garbage, worse than a 4th liner like Martin. It's disgusting to stare at our roster vs. Nashville's and realize Josi makes 4mil the next 2 seasons and Ekblad 3.75 the next 4! It's called managing, something Holland has not a clue about.

This leads to a point about Mantha. On a bottom dweller with the 29th most anemic offense full of ridiculous, overpriced contracts, I have no idea why AM would be singled out and broken away from the top 6. EVER! He's our top goalscorer in his sophomore year- what the hell do people expect? The real problem is this team. Tatar is a phantom 5-5 and Nyquist/Z are just as invisible against other top lines. How much cycling or possession do you ever see the Wings sustain? There's no hope of chemistry with a roster full of followers and imposters.

Mantha was fine vs. Toronto. My only criticism lately is he needs to get the puck away quicker. He's trying to hold possession and deke through guys but his passes and attempts are getting broken up. Gotta be quicker making decisions. Still, there's nothing to be gained by embarrassing Mantha on a line centered by the ghost of David Booth while Puke Glendening plays 17 minutes a night.

I can't wait until Blashill is gone.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Mantha hadn’t been great the last 10 games but he’s been creating chances. Not his fault he keeps setting up players for chances and they miss, and he’s had a bunch of near misses himself. 4th line is a typical Blashill overreaction. How about putting Mantha in a shooting position on the PP? Nah, Frk keeps getting that role despite not hitting the broad side of a barn for ages.

Mantha-Larkin-Tatar has overall been a really good line with poor puck luck offensively. Blash showing poor patience.

Reactions: jkutswings

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I will send you 50$ if Abdelkader hits 50 points. 5 goals and a bunch of secondary assists does not necessarily make an "effective" forward. Here's a stat for you: Abdelkader is 11th in shots, just above Glendening and Ericsson lol. That says a lot more about his actual effect. I see moronic turnovers, way too many off side plays, giveaways, and lost battles a lot more than anything productive. I literally cannot remember a remarkable shift or chance he's helped create. His hands are garbage, worse than a 4th liner like Martin. It's disgusting to stare at our roster vs. Nashville's and realize Josi makes 4mil the next 2 seasons and Ekblad 3.75 the next 4! It's called managing, something Holland has not a clue about.

This leads to a point about Mantha. On a bottom dweller with the 29th most anemic offense full of ridiculous, overpriced contracts, I have no idea why AM would be singled out and broken away from the top 6. EVER! He's our top goalscorer in his sophomore year- what the hell do people expect? The real problem is this team. Tatar is a phantom 5-5 and Nyquist/Z are just as invisible against other top lines. How much cycling or possession do you ever see the Wings sustain? There's no hope of chemistry with a roster full of followers and imposters.

Mantha was fine vs. Toronto. My only criticism lately is he needs to get the puck away quicker. He's trying to hold possession and deke through guys but his passes and attempts are getting broken up. Gotta be quicker making decisions. Still, there's nothing to be gained by embarrassing Mantha on a line centered by the ghost of David Booth while Puke Glendening plays 17 minutes a night.

I can't wait until Blashill is gone.

I also doubt he keeps up the pace, but will happily take your money if he does haha.

And again even if Blash is completely f***ing up with every other forward, not just letting Mantha and AA take shifts/games off is an important part of their development. I don't care if he lets Glendening murder cats on the bench, so long as he is making the most important parts of the future earn their time.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
It seems that only Mantha gets this treatment. That is what I don't like. It should apply to everyone all the time.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Mantha hadn’t been great the last 10 games but he’s been creating chances. Not his fault he keeps setting up players for chances and they miss, and he’s had a bunch of near misses himself. 4th line is a typical Blashill overreaction. How about putting Mantha in a shooting position on the PP? Nah, Frk keeps getting that role despite not hitting the broad side of a barn for ages.

Mantha-Larkin-Tatar has overall been a really good line with poor puck luck offensively. Blash showing poor patience.

I don't see a huge difference in anyone's game from night to night, win or lose. Sure, Mantha's had some turnovers because of errant decision making, but not more than other guys. Also there's more to hockey than racing around at top speed- sometimes players slow up to get in soft areas or hang back waiting to get open. May be it's me but I've had 0 problem with Mantha's effort.

Sorry to go OT again about Abdelkader but feeling a touch guilty for my rant I want to give him credit for one thing he excels at, which is screening opposing netminders. How many of the goals that PP unit scored are because of Abdelkader blocking the net? Several. Also he has played better with Z and been helpful at creating a least a touch of sustained possession.

ellusive

Dec 21, 2009
How are any players gonna have any sort of chemistry with each other when this "coach" keeps changing up the lines. 2years of trusting the process has made this mediocre team worse

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
How are any players gonna have any sort of chemistry with each other when this "coach" keeps changing up the lines. 2years of trusting the process has made this mediocre team worse

Mantha has been on larkin's line for weeks, they haven't produced though they have generated a lot of chances

the lines really haven't been switched up a whole lot recently. Zetterberg-Nyquist, Mantha-Larkin, Nielsen-Helm have been three lines for a long time now. The 3rd guy gets rotated around a lot due to playing 11f/7D

Reactions: Ezekial

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Yeah, but he's a veteran signed to center the second scoring line and is playing on a checking line right now with two grinders.

Not how I would use him.
But at least he's got real linemates.

For the last month the fourth liners don't even have a full line. They bounce around.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Not how I would use him.
But at least he's got real linemates.

For the last month the fourth liners don't even have a full line. They bounce around.
No, they had a line and AA was centering it. They were bouncing someone onto their line and sometimes moving them up for a shift or 2.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
No, they had a line and AA was centering it. They were bouncing someone onto their line and sometimes moving them up for a shift or 2.

No, there was no fourth line.

It was Booth/Athanasiou/Whoever bounces through.
Or Wilson/Athanasiou/Whoever bounces through.

That's a bullshit tactic by the coach

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
No, there was no fourth line.

It was Booth/Athanasiou/Whoever bounces through.
Or Wilson/Athanasiou/Whoever bounces through.

That's a bull**** tactic by the coach

That was the fourth line, bud. It's rotating a wing onto the fourth line to compensate for 11 forwards. FRK-AA-rotator has been our fourth line recently.

This is a dumb semantical argument.

Last edited:

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Is Booth really centering our 4th line? Why isn't Glendening down there if he's gonna put AA up with Larkin?? At least put Mantha there in his spot. This just dumb.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Is Booth really centering our 4th line? Why isn't Glendening down there if he's gonna put AA up with Larkin?? At least put Mantha there in his spot. This just dumb.
I highly doubt it, he hasn't played a shift at center. I assumed he was a placeholder for 11-7

Blashill is going to continue to use Helm-Nielsen-Glendening as the matchup line, and tbh they've done a good job against top lines recently so I'm not surprised they are sticking together.

I think the incessant Nyquist with Z situation is more frustrating in light of all of this.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I get that everyone around here thinks blashill is the devil, but at some point we need to actually start scrutinizing the actual player for their poor play, not just blame the coach every time a player doesn't live up to hfboards expectations

I never said it wasn't partially on Dekeyser, but nice conjecture. He has regressed and it's inarguable, both from the eye test and advanced stats numbers.

The dude had a 30 point season early on; he could have the most sheltered zone starts and minutes on the team and not even sniff that playing the way he is now. Heck, I can't even remember a single good outlook pass he has made this entire season

Blashill's system does not suit him at all, and it seems like he's lost elements of his game. Me saying that truth does not mean I am directly excusing him of personal accountability.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Did Mantha even end up playing on the 4th? I only saw the 3rd period but he got 16 minutes of ice time and was playing with Z and Nyquist for the entirety of the 3rd...

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Did Mantha even end up playing on the 4th? I only saw the 3rd period but he got 16 minutes of ice time and was playing with Z and Nyquist for the entirety of the 3rd...

Nope. :laugh:

Seriously he might have had the first shift with Frk but then was with Larkin and AA (?), eventually Z's line. It turns out it wasn't a whole lot to be worked up about. Blashill's mind games probably get more reaction from the fans than the players.

Reactions: lomekian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad