Manitoba Moose 2017-18 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Mitch Peacock stated on the radio broadcast this evening that Harkins has mono and is out indefinitely.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
@HoldenCaulfield interesting topic on MTS centre. Chipman is 57 and Thompson is 60 so I would be interested to know what their long term vision would be for the building. Money keeps getting poured into the BellMTS centre and my guess is that they have 15-20 years left there and they would want to stay downtown even if they eventually moved.

I love the location of the MTS centre and love how it has helped our downtown. Doesn’t mean they couldn’t have another amazing idea for the next building 20-25 years from now as a legacy project.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
They should tear down Portage Place and build a new building there.

It would still be close to True North Square.

I've mentioned Portage Place (and a few surrounding buildings) as being an excellent site for an expanded arena footprint. Problem is, it's such a dung hole I have trouble believing it won't be replaced with something else long before the Jets feel they need a new arena.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Not sure why folks assume there'll be another arena in 15 -25 years. Constant upgrades will keep it modern. MSG has been in place since '68. I get that land in Manhattan is more expensive than Winnipeg but reno will always trump replacement while True North owns the team.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
^^I agree. It seems unlikely that TNSE will build another arena that soon. There was much public opposition when attempting to get Bell MTS Place built back in 2004.

:jets

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Comparing Bettman to Eagleson is disingenuous. Eagleson preyed on a venerable band of mostly uneducated players. Bettman represents 30 mostly very well informed, mostly very educated owners. Bettman is a sly man who knows how to operate in an unpredicatable/chaotic mess to take the heat while still helping the overall goal. Eagleson was a conman who was able to con a few players into agreeing to terms to lead the rest of the players, mostly uneducated players who were conditioned to do as they were told.

Say what you want about Bettman, but the guy is a very good at succeeding at his bosses goals (ie increasing franchise values). But I think you give far too much credit in the decision making process. We all know Calgary is not going anywhere. He is just supporting an owner (his bosses) with the talk right now. He is the figurehead, but everyone knows that the owners pull the strings on him.

Calgary is a mess. Bettman right now is running the Flames party line of that you will lose the team if you don't acquiesce. Whether that's true or not is hard to see as of now.

As for Winnipeg, I think we still have some time. I fully admit I thought when we built MTS centre at 15K we were done with the NHL. We've gone a bit above that with renovations and apparently 15Kish has been ok so I will support that. The rink is still only 17 years old with massive renovations over past 5 years. For a new rink who knows what could happen? While I do think Chipman and co should be thinking about it, its still at least 10-15 years in the future. Our very VERY high average ticket price will support us for a while yet.

I don't like the Headingly to Kanata/Glendale/Sunrise comparisons. For an accurate representation of that we'd have to build a rink 30 mins north of Selkirk for it to make sense. I don't know how much people know about where those rinks are, but for example of Glendale it's like a 45min+ drive from downtown Phoenix, nevermind the 1hour+ drive it is from Scotsdale/Mesa/Tempe/Gilbert who the people are. Even in Winnipeg no one is driving to say almost Portage La Prairie for a Tuesday night tilt against the Coyotes or Panthers.

I think you may have missed my point. By a very long way. Eagleson was able to do what he did because he made himself powerful in his position.

As you say, Bettman has been very good at succeeding at his bosses goals. That has made him very powerful in his position.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Damn 4 goals against on only 22 shots , hope Mason plays another game for the Moose and does better . After 2 concussions so close together like he had , i hope he isn't a little puck shy .

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Damn 4 goals against on only 22 shots , hope Mason plays another game for the Moose and does better . After 2 concussions so close together like he had , i hope he isn't a little puck shy .
He looked a bit lost on a couple of those goals, he seems to do that quite regularly...no?

I seem to recall teams scoring a few like that in the NHL this year against him.

Perhaps another game w Moose not a bad thing to get his timing back.

Reactions: Jets 31

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He looked a bit lost on a couple of those goals, he seems to do that quite regularly...no?

I seem to recall teams scoring a few like that in the NHL this year against him.

Perhaps another game w Moose not a bad thing to get his timing back.
I sure wouldn't want him over Hutch right now. He needs to find his game.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It would be nice for Mase to get another game or two until he feels it.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
I don't think any of us in our mid 50's or early 60's will see a replacement built in our lifetime, just be happy with the one we have.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
It would be nice for Mase to get another game or two until he feels it.

I would play him again this afternoon and maybe even a couple more games before bringing him up. Get his feel for the game back. Right now, I don't see an effective backup for the Jets. Unfortunately, I think the decision has already been made, regardless of how he does in these two games. More and more, this is looking like a signing that has not worked out to people's expectations/hopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad