Manitoba Moose: 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
An AHL team is only allowed to have 5 veterans (can't remember the exact definition of veteran.) Sending down Harrison and Raffl obviously sealed Trotter's fate.

5 veterans and 1 veteran exempt can be dressed per game. Goalies are exempt. Veteran must have 321 or more games played at NHL, AHL, or elite European league. Veteran exempt must have only played between 261-320 professional games in those leagues.

Veterans currently on the roster (3/5) : D Jay Harrison, LW Matt Halischuk, LW Tomas Raffl*
Veterans exempts currently on the roster (1/1): LW Matt Fraser

*=If Austrian league counts, which it likely does.

Means Moose can still add 2 more veterans if they wanted.

Last edited:

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as "development players." Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.

Veterans: Matt Halischuk, Thomas Raffl, Jay Harrison
Matt Fraser has played 268 regular season pro games, he fills the <320 slot.
Cormier has played in exactly 260 regular season pro games... I'd imagine that's no coincidence... so he's no vet.
Albert has <260.

Peluso, if sent down, has 288 games, so he could fill the <320 slot, but only if Fraser doesn't play.
Postma 319, same here.
Pardy and Thorburn would be vets.

So we actually should have vet spots open.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Veterans: Matt Halischuk, Thomas Raffl, Jay Harrison
Matt Fraser has played 268 regular season pro games, he fills the <320 slot.
Cormier has played in exactly 260 regular season pro games... I'd imagine that's no coincidence... so he's no vet.
Albert has <260.

Peluso, if sent down, has 288 games, so he could fill the <320 slot, but only if Fraser doesn't play.
Postma 319, same here.
Pardy and Thorburn would be vets.

So we actually should have vet spots open.

Peluso and Fraser could play, just one of them would be filling a full veteran spot rather than the veteran exempt.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
They could carry 10 vets, just not all of them can play at the same time.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Peluso and Fraser could play, just one of them would be filling a full veteran spot rather than the veteran exempt.

Yes.
By the way, Armia has 258 games - Liiga counts.

Anyway. Looking at a potential top6 of
Raffl-Albert-Fraser
Halischuk-Cormier-Armia
...that can do some damage in the AHL, although I know we'll see some younger players sprinkled in there for a more balanced scoring and development approach. I'm fine with the F and G, it's the D that I'm very worried about.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It sounds like you guys are writing him off. He is turning 33 and just one
injury or Buf trade from being back with the Jets.

I don't think so. We lose 1 we go with 7. We lose another and Morrissey is called up.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think so. We lose 1 we go with 7. We lose another and Morrissey is called up.

I think at this point Harrison is called up well before Morrissey. IMO Morrissey needs to play for awhile in the A and start getting comfortable playing a pro game. I don't think they will be any rush calling him up.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think at this point Harrison is called up well before Morrissey. IMO Morrissey needs to play for awhile in the A and start getting comfortable playing a pro game. I don't think they will be any rush calling him up.

Might depend on how long it takes to have 2 D out at the same time. Morrissey has played at the AHL level before. I expect him to start standing out again before too long.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I'm guessing the Moose home opener will be a sellout?

Any word on the final season ticket count?

hexrae

Jun 29, 2006
Peg City
I'm guessing the Moose home opener will be a sellout?

Any word on the final season ticket count?

Not sure about the season tickets, but looking at Ticket Master, there's only singles left for the home opener.

Think they'll open up the 300 level?

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Not sure about the season tickets, but looking at Ticket Master, there's only singles left for the home opener.

Think they'll open up the 300 level?

It would be silly not to if they can sell enough tickets. If they are ever going to sell out I think that would be the game to try.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
It would be silly not to if they can sell enough tickets. If they are ever going to sell out I think that would be the game to try.

Looks like a few sections in the 300 level will be open for the New Years eve game.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Just noticed they have Brock Trotter there. Perfect veteran scorer, exactly what they need.

Never mind...just saw they released him. Boo.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Moose are at the iceplex today. Players wandering down from weight room. Pretty sure I just saw the Rafflman come down the stairs

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Raffl wearing #5
Harrison #20

Albert is skating

Kitchton & MacWilliam in non contact.

Goalies in grey

Edit. It's a lot harder to follow who's who than when I watch the Jets practice

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Disclaimer: the moose antler numbers don't exactly pop off the helmets and I don't recognize a lot if the players yet. But these were the lines I believe I saw today.

Halischuk Cormier Kosmachuk
Raffl Deleo Armia
Lipon Albert Fraser
Blomqvist Olsen Brassard
Fronk Kramer Lodge

D pairs were in flux

Last edited:

devils55

Mar 9, 2012
I've been hearing some rumblings that Jimmy Lodge is getting a few games to experience the AHL then is getting sent back to the OHL Mississauga Steelheads... any validity to these comments ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad