Managerial Thread - 23/24 Season - Lolverpool

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
This is it. Paul Joyce is basically Liverpool FC best source. Alonso won't be the new LFC manager. The new Era after Klopp is not starting very well for LFC and the pressure for whoever get appointed will be immense. I am conflicted, I want to be behind the new manager but I feel the upcoming summer will be quite eventful now with Edwards/Hughes in charge, benefit of the doubt to them but with a very short leash from the fanbase if they don't bring results next year.

Edit: Rumour is that Xabi Alonso will stay at Leverkusen, kudos to him if that's the case. I hope he can build a dynasty there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Straw

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This is it. Paul Joyce is basically Liverpool FC best source. Alonso won't be the new LFC manager. The new Era after Klopp is not starting very well for LFC and the pressure for whoever get appointed will be immense. I am conflicted, I want to be behind the new manager but I feel the upcoming summer will be quite eventful now with Edwards/Hughes in charge, benefit of the doubt to them but with a very short leash from the fanbase if they don't bring results next year.

Edit: Rumour is that Xabi Alonso will stay at Leverkusen, kudos to him if that's the case. I hope he can build a dynasty there.
He is going to wait a year for Real Madrid, and honestly fair play.

Have to think Ruben Amorim is the front runner now. Also have a bad feeling that….(keeping name to myself)…might wind up here. But yeah LFC can’t compete with Madrid, what can you do

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Makes the most sense. Has a chance to build on what he's already done at B04 and make a CL run with them. Distances himself from dealing with Bayern's turmoil and having to succeed Klopp and becomes the favorite to take over at Real.

Hearing De Zerbi and Zidane's names popping up for Bayern but still have a feeling Nagelsmann goes back after Euro.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I have no problem with it not being Xabi. He isn’t experienced in Europe and much overall. I think he’s a good manager, but I’m fine with it not being him. He would still see the Madrid job as the ultimate goal. I’m not saying others wouldn’t either, but that kinda is a strike against him for me.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
He is going to wait a year for Real Madrid, and honestly fair play.

Have to think Ruben Amorim is the front runner now. Also have a bad feeling that….(keeping name to myself)…might wind up here. But yeah LFC can’t compete with Madrid, what can you do
Moyes In.

I have no problem with it not being Xabi. He isn’t experienced in Europe and much overall. I think he’s a good manager, but I’m fine with it not being him. He would still see the Madrid job as the ultimate goal. I’m not saying others wouldn’t either, but that kinda is a strike against him for me.
“She’s not even that hot, anyway.”

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Moyes In.
Woof

Yeah the thing with all the Xabi hype, is that because of his history he immediately got put so high on a pedestal that everyone else is going to feel like a disappointment. Which is why I’ve went out of my way not too get too invested. Cannot be too mad if he is just waiting for Madrid though; that would be like crying over spilled milk

But yeah Amorim clearly the new front runner.

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I do feel it weird that Alonso will stay at Leverkusen because of the opportunities available. People now assume he will jump ship to Real Madrid, maybe but after refusing both LFC and Bayern I would not be so sure. If you think there is pressure at LFC or even Bayern, Real Madrid is another beast, I know they have better players and funds available but that make it even worse when you under achieve. He seems like he might even stay at Leverkusen longer than people might think, I would not rule out him extending at Leverkusen.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I do feel it weird that Alonso will stay at Leverkusen because of the opportunities available. People now assume he will jump ship to Real Madrid, maybe but after refusing both LFC and Bayern I would not be so sure. If you think there is pressure at LFC or even Bayern, Real Madrid is another beast, I know they have better players and funds available but that make it even worse when you under achieve. He seems like he might even stay at Leverkusen longer than people might think, I would not rule out him extending at Leverkusen.

Eh, we'll see. The smart money is probably still on Alonso & Flo leaving next summer after going on a run with the pill-pushers in the CL.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He’s going to Madrid. And that’s okay,

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Moyes In.

To an extent, yeah. It is a bit of sour grapes, though I’ve been clear with a lot of the discussion that I felt it was still a gamble to hire him. I want someone with a bit more experience, though whomever they get is going to have a tough job.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Makes the most sense. Has a chance to build on what he's already done at B04 and make a CL run with them. Distances himself from dealing with Bayern's turmoil and having to succeed Klopp and becomes the favorite to take over at Real.

Hearing De Zerbi and Zidane's names popping up for Bayern but still have a feeling Nagelsmann goes back after Euro.

Yeah, it does seem like the perfect decision for Xabi Alonso. Good for him and good for Leverkusen fans to keep him for their CL campaign next season.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
To an extent, yeah. It is a bit of sour grapes, though I’ve been clear with a lot of the discussion that I felt it was still a gamble to hire him. I want someone with a bit more experience, though whomever they get is going to have a tough job.
I mean I don’t think this “experienced” candidate is coming. I don’t think Amorim or De Zerbi (which pretty clearly seem like the top two now) fit that category either. I’m not saying you are wrong, I’m saying who that they have been linked with fits “experienced “

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Unless there's a Pep, Klopp etc. type manager who transcends a club and has influence in all things football related, which there is no one available like that, then the manager will be more like a coach who will be responsible for developing and getting the best out of the players without having unlimited funds. That's it.

Reactions: JPBolts

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
From a neutral perspective, will be interesting to see whether he can keep it up on multiple fronts. From a partisan perspective, I'm glad to have him keep coaching a few key Czech players.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I do find it funny though, all those people who could apparently read his mind and figure out where he was going. You didn't hear anything because this guy didn't tell anyone anything.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I do find it funny though, all those people who could apparently read his mind and figure out where he was going. You didn't hear anything because this guy didn't tell anyone anything.
That content isn’t going to click itself!
But yeah

Starting to feel very Amorim

Reactions: JPBolts

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Could be interesting to see Liverpool playing 3-4-3, although they're not exactly rich in CB options.
1. Klopp never played 433 before he came, so I don’t know if it’s a guarantee that they switch. Maybe it’s just me, but Tactics are probably the least important part of the next guy for me. Just need to identify the next guy and hope he figures it out.

2. Gomez-Virgil-Konate is a back three I’d be comfortable with. Quansah I’m comfortable with on the second line. Matip might get a one year deal. Chambers is a good fit for that formation too, so could definitely be worse. Could be tough to sell a guy on being 5/6th choice, but…

3. … if they need to look external, Portuguese League would be a great place to start, and Amorim will know some guys there; including two of his own. I don’t love Inacio in the PL as much as a guy like Diomande, but the thing about a back three is you don’t actually need great defenders to run it.

4. I’d been much more worried about getting another LWB in a 343. I guess you have to play Szoboszlai at LW in a 343 which I guess is okay but I think Sporting 343 plays a bit more wide than like Leverkusen 343 so that could go either way. I think LFC have good personnel to pull it off but would need some tweaking. But hey that’s what the transfer market is for.

If Amorim is confirmed maybe I will go a bit more in depth on some thoughts, but not going to get to worked up on this right now.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You likely can buy a center back. Quansah could work. But it’s not the end of the world
I’d also be interested if LFC go back into midfield in the case of 343. Alexis is obviously locked in, but next to him? Sporting pretty much went from Palhinha to Ugarte to Hjulmand and LFC do not have a profile like that in the squad. Bajcetic is probably closest if they can get him right. Jones is a different profile. Endo, maybe? Thats somewhere I could see them looking externally, but after last year’s CDM market who knows; and they should have other priorities too/not sure how they would feel about another big outlay on a midfielder

Meanwhile Sporting lining up Amorim’s successor

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad