Malta's Azure Window collapses

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-malta-rock-idUSKBN16F1CY

A rock structure in the form of an arch which had featured in countless Malta tourism brochures collapsed into the sea on Wednesday in what Prime Minister Joseph Muscat described as a "heartbreaking event".

Geologists had long warned that the structure, on the north-western coast of the small island of Gozo, was eroding fast and the authorities had banned visitors from walking on top of it.

The structure, known as the Azure Window because it arched over blue seas popular with divers, collapsed as Malta was hit by rough seas and stormy weather.

game-of-thrones-locations-malta-and-gozo-18.jpg

Last edited:

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Sooner than later it will also happen to the 3rd (and only remaining) arch of Québec's "Rocher percé"

bon-steve-deschenes-03.jpg

That thing is eroding fast. There used to be 3 arches but the 2 others collapsed already, the 2nd one in 1845. The current estimations are that the remaining one will collapse in about 400 years but I wouldn't be surprised if it did way before.

Last edited:

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
I mean will it really? It obviously sucks but who goes to Malta primarily to see this? They'll spend their money elsewhere on the islands.

It was the main attraction on its island (Gozo), so that island will probably be hit hard as more visitors stick to Malta island

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Was in Germany a few days ago and I think they had some ads up for tourism in Malta and they promoted the arch.

There goes all that cash.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
This has got me worrying about the Old Man of Hoy on Orkney.

oldmanofhoy1_2114950972.jpg

The seas are insane around the Pentland Firth for most of the year (7 seas collide at this point creating huge waves) and I've just now read that a crack is forming along the centre of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad