Malone vs Denneny vs Lalonde

GSK*

Who on those three you think did the greatest accomplishment and was the most important player for their own team.

Joe Malone : 146 goals 18 assists - 164 points in 125 games

Cy Denneny : 246 goals - 69 passes - 315 points in 325 games

Newsy Lalonde : 124 buts - 27 passes - 151 points in 99 games

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I would go with Lalonde too. From everything I've read Denneny seems like the Luc of his day. Great stats but a poor skater and very unimpressive away from the opponents net.

Nels Stewart would be another name to throw into the mix but I've read that he was laguhed at for his poor skating and needed the post to help him stand up.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's basically a statistical comparison with some anecdotal evidence thrown in?

It'd be nice if we had a couple 100-year old people around here to actually tell us how they played with their own eyes.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
It's basically a statistical comparison with some anecdotal evidence thrown in?

It'd be nice if we had a couple 100-year old people around here to actually tell us how they played with their own eyes.

I just thought of that. In 50 years it will be the same with the NYI's dynasty. I dont think anybody here registered saw them.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Nels Stewart would be another name to throw into the mix but I've read that he was laguhed at for his poor skating and needed the post to help him stand up.[/QUOTE]

They used to say that he would use one hand to shoot the puck in the net and the other hand to keep his balance by holding on to the cross bar! He was also the first to spit tobacco into the goal tender's eyes which, I believe, is how he got the nickname ol' poison.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Nels Stewart would be another name to throw into the mix but I've read that he was laguhed at for his poor skating and needed the post to help him stand up.

They used to say that he would use one hand to shoot the puck in the net and the other hand to keep his balance by holding on to the cross bar! He was also the first to spit tobacco into the goal tender's eyes which, I believe, is how he got the nickname ol' poison.[/QUOTE]
That tobacco juice story was amazing but I find it incredulous that he was such a bad skater. The guy played for 15 years until 1940 & was the leading career scorer with 324 until the Rocket passed him. I gotta do some research on this.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
They used to say that he would use one hand to shoot the puck in the net and the other hand to keep his balance by holding on to the cross bar! He was also the first to spit tobacco into the goal tender's eyes which, I believe, is how he got the nickname ol' poison.
That tobacco juice story was amazing but I find it incredulous that he was such a bad skater. The guy played for 15 years until 1940 & was the leading career scorer with 324 until the Rocket passed him. I gotta do some research on this.
I'm guessing that he was a big slow skater in a more nimble league. I think that those stories are more poking fun at him than being truths. He kind of sounds like a Tim Kerr type.

Ogopogo*

I would go with Lalonde too. From everything I've read Denneny seems like the Luc of his day. Great stats but a poor skater and very unimpressive away from the opponents net.

Denneny might have had a similar style to Luc but, his career was far greater. Cy finished as a top 3 scorer in the NHL 8 times. Luc never did that even once in his career.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Denneny might have had a similar style to Luc but, his career was far greater. Cy finished as a top 3 scorer in the NHL 8 times. Luc never did that even once in his career.
No question about that. I was talking in terms of style. I've always wondered why Malone and Lalonde find their way into the top 50 and Denneny doesn't. Its pretty clear he was one of the best of his era.

GSK*

I like check out history of hockey, and I made a discussion about those guys, because their a little bit forgotten by everybody and all of three a little bit underrated, Denneny was dominating in Ottawa.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
I'd take Joe Malone, he still holds the NHL record for goals per game average with 44 goals in 20 games back in 1917-18 and 146 G in 125 GP is insane in any era. I think its time the Habs resurected the Malone-Lalonde-(Odie)Cleghorn trio and played some firewagon hockey circa 1920!

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
When discussion began on hockey first great superstar during the production of the 'Hockey - A People's History' series (starting Sept. 17), the talk was mainly about Joe Malone and Cyclone Taylor.

Cy Denneny was the original inventor of the curved stick.

I'd take Joe Malone, he still holds the NHL record for goals per game average with 44 goals in 20 games back in 1917-18 and 146 G in 125 GP is insane in any era. I think its time the Habs resurected the Malone-Lalonde-(Odie)Cleghorn trio and played some firewagon hockey circa 1920!

Beakermania*

lets remember that when we look at those numbers that Lalonde and Malones assist numbers are down because Assists was not a recorded stat for most of their careers.....

I don't think assists were a recorded stat prior to the formation of the NHL or even in the NHL's first season.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
I'll go with Newsy since he has the best nickname, which is as good a criteria as any, since not one of us here actually has seen them play. I think BM67 comes closest in terms of statistical evaluation. Denneny had the best NHL career, Lalonde the best professional career.

Something that gets overlooked: combining regular season and playoffs, Lalonde had an amazing 1918-19 season. 27 games played, 39 goals(!), 12 assists. 11 of those goals came in a five-game playoff series against the Ottawa Senators. Contextually, it's a lot more impressive than Malone's 44 goals in the league's initial season.

I have a Newsy Lalonde shrine in my home, for no other reason than that I wanted a hockey shrine devoted to an old-time player and there are a lot of great, easily obtainable pictures of him. And his nickname was "Newsy," which is cool. When I have capital enough, I'm going to have a Newsy Lalonde replica sweater made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad