Malkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Malkin blew my mind last night with how good he looked vs other prospects his age, I think he made everyone totally forget that the top prospect in this years draft Kessel was even on the ice.

Some of the drag moves he was making, the speed he was showing, and the bullett of a shot hes got have me really excited as a pens fan.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Yep but I think that its his sense that sets him apart. Look at the plays he made when coming down the ice on odd man breaks, he made the right play every time. His assist on the elevated pass last night was a dandy. Plus his control of the offensive zone end boards is downright awesome and I love that he's being used in all situations both at the WJC and with Mg. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do against Canada as they're sure to step up the physical play against him.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
I tell you guys Malkin will be better than Crosby & Ovechkin !

He dont need to deke people out , he goes through. Its just hes skating, size and hockey sence ! He is the future ! :bow:

Prof_it

Sep 2, 2004
I agree about Malkin's hockey sense. He distributes the puck well and gives his linemates great setups.

As a whole I thought the entire Russian team was unselfish. They look very committed to the team and system.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
#66 said:
Yep but I think that its his sense that sets him apart. Look at the plays he made when coming down the ice on odd man breaks, he made the right play every time. His assist on the elevated pass last night was a dandy. Plus his control of the offensive zone end boards is downright awesome and I love that he's being used in all situations both at the WJC and with Mg. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do against Canada as they're sure to step up the physical play against him.

I agree the passes he was making last night were sick, absolutely sick, the states didnt have an answer for him at all....I do think that Canada will be more physical with him, especially Parent.
I dont know if he can be stopped though, he has a laser beam for a shot and didnt get much chance to show it last night....i dont know how his accuracy is but if its decent he is lights out.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
He's like Spezza on 'roids.
He sees the ice like him but seems to be more aggressive and stronger on the puck.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
The best thing about Malkin is how he does all his tricks.
- He is not fast, but he always in right place to backcheck, assist or shot.
- He has no special moves, He just skates through D-men.
- He is not physical, but he always wins battles along the boards.
- His hands aren't quick as Datsyuk's or Ovechkin but it's almost impossible for opponents to get puck from him.

I don't know reason. He has really nothing special in his arsenal, he just wins battles, assists, shots, dekes, skates through D-men and etc ... I call it phenomenal TALENT ;)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Kaizer said:
The best thing about Malkin is how he does all his tricks.
- He is not fast, but he always in right place to backcheck, assist or shot.
- He has no special moves, He just skates through D-men.
- He is not physical, but he always wins battles along the boards.
- His hands aren't quick as Datsyuk's or Ovechkin but it's almost impossible for opponents to get puck from him.

I don't know reason. He has really nothing special in his arsenal, he just wins battles, assists, shots, dekes, skates through D-men and etc ... I call it phenomenal TALENT ;)

I am NOT comparing him to Mario in what follows - in fact I have not seen enough actual footage of him to compare him to anyone yet, though I like what I hear.

But your post brought to mind one facet of Mario while I was reading it. Often times during when he was in his prime he did not seem fast . . . maybe 90% of the time he was on the ice. Hell, he barely seemed moving at all and almost on a sunday stroll out there, and yet when you looked he was blowing by people. Just because someone makes it look like they are barely breaking a sweat or that it is just an easy skate out does not mean that they have 'nothing special in his arsenal.' The results tell a different story and in fact how easy they make it seem may be because they have very special things in their arsenal.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
He reminds me alot of Thornton, but farther in his development at that age than Thornton was. I was very impressed.

I can't believe the Pens have Crosby and Malkin. There going to have two lines that dominate games for at least 10 years. It's like Wayne and Mario playing on the same team. Imagine the PP... :shakehead

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I was very impressed by Malkin. He's not super fast, but does everything at high tempo and with his size is hard to stop. I held my breath everytime he took a shot in the offensive zone. I'll be interested to see how he does in the Olympics.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Langer said:
He reminds me alot of Thornton, but farther in his development at that age than Thornton was. I was very impressed.

I can't believe the Pens have Crosby and Malkin. There going to have two lines that dominate games for at least 10 years. It's like Wayne and Mario playing on the same team. Imagine the PP... :shakehead

The Pens better start playing well. I will be physically sick if they get another high draft pick.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
octopi said:
The Pens better start playing well. I will be physically sick if they get another high draft pick.

The Pens ARE playing well. 3-0-2 in their last five games, 8 points of the potential 10. On the road. Including Montreal and Toronto, hardly easy places to play. Therrien is an amazing coach who will finally get out of this team what its potential was - a team a bit over .500 the rest of the way. This remains a team not better than that despite the improvements though. So prepared to get sick, a top ten pick is virtually guarenteed at that level because the Pens were so very bad (only passed 30 points last night despite that great last five games). And in this draft there is not that much of a space in that top ten tier from top to bottom.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
octopi said:
I will be physically sick if they get another high draft pick.
I don't understand this mentality. If you have a horrible season, you get a high pick. People get way too caught up in draft picks and lose sight of the big picture, which is quality, entertaining NHL play and playoff runs. Most Pens fans would much rather see the team be competitive and finish in the 16-25 range than the 25-30 range.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I have never seen a kid with so much talent or potential. He near blew my mind how fast he looks on the ice considering his size. Usually big players with big strides look like they are moving slow, Malkin looked extremely fast and agile, he cuts turns so quickly it is scary.

In terms of play, Malkin has the potential to be a Lemieux clone, not a cheap version like Lecavalier or the Lemieux if now. Malkin looks alot like Lemieux of the late 80's.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
WVpens said:
I don't understand this mentality. If you have a horrible season, you get a high pick. People get way too caught up in draft picks and lose sight of the big picture, which is quality, entertaining NHL play and playoff runs. Most Pens fans would much rather see the team be competitive and finish in the 16-25 range than the 25-30 range.

Take it from a long suffering fan, you get tired of 16-25 in a hurry. Mediocre seasons and mediocre picks are tough to get excited about.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jason MacIsaac said:
I have never seen a kid with so much talent or potential. He near blew my mind how fast he looks on the ice considering his size. Usually big players with big strides look like they are moving slow, Malkin looked extremely fast and agile, he cuts turns so quickly it is scary.

In terms of play, Malkin has the potential to be a Lemieux clone, not a cheap version like Lecavalier or the Lemieux if now. Malkin looks alot like Lemieux of the late 80's.

He looks like a more polished version of Eric Lindros, although I guess you could say that is Lemieux.....

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Mario? Lindros? You all are really setting the kid up for 'failure' here at HF. I will be happy if he is merely the Malkin I keep hearing about, a player who deserves to be talked about in the same breath as the big two this year (neither of whom I would come close to using the name Mario with, or even yet Lindros absent all the injuries).

shawn_kemp*

The comparison of Malkin to Mario is very accurate in my opinion. Just like Mario, he makes the game look so simple! He doesn't have any special moves, he's not as explosive as an Ovechkin, doesn't seem to be as quick and flashy as Crosby, but he's always at the right time at the right place and makes the right decision at any moment.

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
I think Malkin has it all physical size, great shot and play making ability. Like Ovechkin I want to see more of him because he's such a presence on the ice and with Crosby on his line ...that will be sick. Another guy that stood out for me was Ilya Zubov he has some great speed and agility a great pick by the Sens.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
shawn_kemp said:
The comparison of Malkin to Mario is very accurate in my opinion. Just like Mario, he makes the game look so simple! He doesn't have any special moves, he's not as explosive as an Ovechkin, doesn't seem to be as quick and flashy as Crosby, but he's always at the right time at the right place and makes the right decision at any moment.

I always thought like that about Mario. He "made" the game look so simple and maybe Malkin will own the nhl with that kind of play.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Brock said:
He looked like a man among boys out there.

Well that's probably because he is. ;)

He's playing at in a league few others are at during this point of their careers, and is very successful I might add as well.

Almost unfair for him to be in this tournament really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad