Malkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Evgeni Malkin was easily the 2nd best prospect entering the 04 draft. I was wondering does this kid have what it takes to become better than Ovechkin, does he have the skill to be a 90+ pt getter?, or do you think he will just end up being a number 2 centre notching 50-65 pts a year.

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
I think that Evgeni Malkin is a great prospect. Most likely will be the #1 center in Pittsburgh for a long time. Tough to say production wise, but I'd say 80 a year wouldn't be too far off. I don't like the comparison's to AO though. Let Malkin be Malkin and Ovechkin be Ovechkin. Two totally different players. The only reason we compare them is that they came out of the same draft class and that they are both Russian. I think that AO is above where Malkin is even with the age difference. He's at a whole other level. But they will both be great players in the future. ;)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
#2 said:
Evgeni Malkin was easily the 2nd best prospect entering the 04 draft. I was wondering does this kid have what it takes to become better than Ovechkin, does he have the skill to be a 90+ pt getter?, or do you think he will just end up being a number 2 centre notching 50-65 pts a year.

I'd be shocked if Malkin is better then AO down the road, but that's cause I think very highly of AO (although I felt he looked outstanding two years ago in the wjc's, and in the one game I watched him play this year for Dynamo, he didn't do much of anything) Malkin, I've only seen twice, and while I was impressed with his passing skills on the PP, he looked very skinny. AO has more of a frame for the NHL then Malkin, and imo AO also has a better skill set, but I'm going off very limited viewing of the two. To be honest, I couldn't give a crap who's better down the road, but I wouldn't bet against AO.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
montreal said:
I'd be shocked if Malkin is better then AO down the road, but that's cause I think very highly of AO (although I felt he looked outstanding two years ago in the wjc's, and in the one game I watched him play this year for Dynamo, he didn't do much of anything) Malkin, I've only seen twice, and while I was impressed with his passing skills on the PP, he looked very skinny. AO has more of a frame for the NHL then Malkin, and imo AO also has a better skill set, but I'm going off very limited viewing of the two. To be honest, I couldn't give a crap who's better down the road, but I wouldn't bet against AO.
thanks for the feedback. i heard alot of people talking about our Malkin could be better than AO / already was better last year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
#2 said:
thanks for the feedback. i heard alot of people talking about our Malkin could be better than AO / already was better last year.

I've heard it to, I've also heard people say they think Malkin will play a PF game, and I don't see it, but then again, I've only seen him twice and I was lucky to get those games on tape, since it's very hard to get games from the RSL on tape. The Russian's play some great hockey, but their mail system needs improvement. :D

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
Most of those people saying Malkin is better than A.O. are cranky Pens fans. Being a Pens fan I am thrilled with Malkin because I think we need a legit #1 center to replace Lemieux when he retires. Malkin's frame looks a bit too small. Once he adds some muscle, he'll be fine. As to wether or not he will be better than A.O., time will tell. Its wild that pens / caps fans debate these two players to death, yet only a handful have ever seen them play live or even on tape.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
roast said:
Most of those people saying Malkin is better than A.O. are cranky Pens fans. Being a Pens fan I am thrilled with Malkin because I think we need a legit #1 center to replace Lemieux when he retires. Malkin's frame looks a bit too small. Once he adds some muscle, he'll be fine. As to wether or not he will be better than A.O., time will tell. Its wild that pens / caps fans debate these two players to death, yet only a handful have ever seen them play live or even on tape.
i don't think one pens fan has said malkin is currently better than ovechkin. i have heard however, that malkin could end up being better, and i didnt hear that from pens fans. i think it was woodlief, mckenzie, and conte who originally said that.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
roast said:

If any "cranky" Penguins fans were saying that it was being fed to them by some news sources.

Does he have the potential to be better than AO? Yes.
Will he be better than AO? Doubtful.

But I'm not going to complain about him.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Til the End of Time said:
As a Pen's fan, I realistically would be pleased if Malkin is able to consistently deliver 60 pts a year while playing a well rounded, defensively responsible game and being a leader.
that sounds like a good player, but that's not the kind of upside you hope for from a 2nd overall pick.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't mean in the news media, i mean on the prospects board, if you remember when the pens "lost" the lottery.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
roast said:
I don't mean in the news media, i mean on the prospects board, if you remember when the pens "lost" the lottery.
i don't think anyone is dumb enough to say that. there's a reason why ovechkin is on the world cup team and malkin isn't. i think you misread it, because i too have seen a lot of "malkin could be better in the future".

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
Dark Metamorphosis said:
that sounds like a good player, but that's not the kind of upside you hope for from a 2nd overall pick.

Why? Because he isn't scoring 90 points a year? I would rather see Malkin develop into an all around player that helps his team win than have him challenge for the scoring title every year while being one dimensional like other Penguin players of the past.

I also said "realistically."

The Penguins have had enough Art Ross winners; it's time to play defense.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Why? Because he isn't scoring 90 points a year? I would rather see Malkin develop into an all around player that helps his team win than have him challenge for the scoring title every year while being one dimensional like other Penguin players of the past.

I also said "realistically."

The Penguins have had enough Art Ross winners; it's time to play defense.
No i don't mean i want a one dimensional art ross winner. I'm just saying with that high a pick you expect a modano/sakic type guy who scores 80 to 90 points and can play defense.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
Dark Metamorphosis said:
i don't think anyone is dumb enough to say that. there's a reason why ovechkin is on the world cup team and malkin isn't. i think you misread it, because i too have seen a lot of "malkin could be better in the future".

There were plenty, i haven't heard it as of late. I think it was more of frustration about the lottery. Most argued that since Malkin was almost a year younger that he closed the gap on A.O. and was some how magically over night his equal or better. It was a small amount of people doing it.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
roast said:
There were plenty, i haven't heard it as of late. I think it was more of frustration about the lottery. Most argued that since Malkin was almost a year younger that he closed the gap on A.O. and was some how magically over night his equal or better. It was a small amount of people doing it.
kyle woodlief was the one who said malkin had closed the gap. pens fans were going on his info.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
Dark Metamorphosis said:
No i don't mean i want a one dimensional art ross winner. I'm just saying with that high a pick you expect a modano/sakic type guy who scores 80 to 90 points and can play defense.

Players like that come along, once or twice a decade. You can't "realistically" expect to draft a player like that first overall every year, let alone second.

So, again, I "realistically" would be pleased if Malkin can consistently deliver 60 pts a year while playing a well rounded, defensively responsible game and being a leader.

What are your realistic expectations for Malkin? 90 points a year and Selke candidate?

db23

Evgeni Malkin is Peter Forsberg, 4 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier, when he fills out.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Players like that come along, once or twice a decade. You can't "realistically" expect to draft a player like that first overall every year, let alone second.

So, again, I "realistically" would be pleased if Malkin can consistently deliver 60 pts a year while playing a well rounded, defensively responsible game and being a leader.

What are your realistic expectations for Malkin? 90 points a year and Selke candidate?
I believe each draft produces about 4 hall of famers. My expectation for Malkin is for him to be a superstar center.

May 1, 2003
Visit site

Yes i agree, 90 pts a year is unrealistic, its a hope, that most people have for him but i really doubt he will consitently put 90 points on the board, maybe a couple times throughout his career.

I am not a pens fan but i am a malkin fan, i would like to see him put up 70 pts a year and play a solid two game. I dont expect him to be much of leader other then leading by example.

infinitesadd

May 15, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think Malkin will be a good complete first line center. I think 70-80 points a year is a good expectation. He will always have quite a few more assists than goals, according to everything I've heard about him. I don't think he will be the scorer Ovechkin will be, but I think he can end up being overall a better player. I will stick with AO being better though, until I both see them play. I think the fact that AO got selected to the world cup team is a telling sign of how good he is.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
I think for 2005 the Penguins have a good chance at knabbing that 1st overall to draft Crosby, given that Lemieux doesnt play the full season And Aleksey Morozov is commited to play in Russia for the entire year(season or no season). So with that said if Pittsburgh Drafts Crosby and he plays on a line with malkin / pp, do you think Malkin will just Rack up Huge numbers of points

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Just FYI, Ovechkin was the youngest player to ever lead Dynamo in goals, which he did with 13 (goals).

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
Just FYI, Ovechkin was the youngest player to ever lead Dynamo in goals, which he did with 13 (goals).
I never knew that he led the league, wow thats pretty damn Impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad