Malkin vs Kopitar

chuckie

Feb 24, 2003
Visit site
This thread is about kopitar and malkin, I just wasted10 min of my life reading about european hockey leagues. Why don't you guys play a game of RISK or create your own european domination thread somewhere else.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
Without trying to sound like a complete homer, its tough to compare talents when malkin has play makers, and goal scores on his line.

While kopitar plays on the first line, but his linemates are 2nd string at best.

Wish we had demitra still....:banghead:

Greaves

Jul 27, 2005
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I love all the threads last year saying (insert player here) is better then Crosby.

So many stupid posts, such as this from *don't want to insult original poster* :dunce: :

"To settle all the trade debates it goes like this. caps fans wouldn't trade ovechkin for crosby, rangers fans wouldn't trade lundqvist or prucha for crosby, flames fans wouldn't trade phaneuf for crosby and avs fans wouldn't trade svatos for crosby."

I can see Caps fans not wanting to trade Crosby for Ovechkin (I find them equal). But any fan that wouldn't trade Lundqvist, Phaneuf, or Svatos for Crosby need to get their head examined.

Bouchard

Jul 10, 2004
Cole Harbour, NS
I like Kopitar...this guy is a beast, not taking anything away from Malkin, but from what I've seen so far Kopitar has been better. It may change once Malkin is fully settled and healed, but right now the edge has to go to Kopitar, he's been outstanding. Infact he has 2 more assists tonight against Anaheim.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
the argument about the year younger thing shouldnt fly here, because it is considered not even a factor among the argument with crosby and ovechkin, and ovechkin is two years older than crosby. people on these boards say its ridiculous to use that factor when comparing those two and say its a non issue.

Really, why not. At what point does age difference between prospects become relevant?

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Really, why not. At what point does age difference between prospects become relevant?

i dont know, i was reffering to everyone else refusing to take that into consideration with the crosby/ovechkin situation.....i completely think age has a big part to do with developing skills.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax

OK, I see where you're coming from. Well, I think the people who thought the two-year age difference between Crosby and Ovechkin was irrelevent were out to lunch. It should not have have had anything to do with deciding who won the Calder, Ovie won it fair and square, but as far as projecting who will score more points in their career, it's an important factor. My money's on Sid.

As for Kopitar and Malkin, well Malkin is 20 and in his fourth year of professional hockey. That is pretty darn impressive. But if you are going to compare the two players, I wouldn't compare what Malkin does this year to what Kopitar does this year. Kopitar is 19 and in his second year of professional hockey. Compare what Kopitar does next year to what Malkin does this year and you've got a reasonable comparison.

I've got to say though, from what I've seen of the two so far, they are going to pile up the points. Malkin's got a brand name so it's understandable that people will automatically think he's better. I don't have any evidence to support an argument that Kopitar is better than Malkin, but there is a lot of evidence to support that Kopitar is a lot better than many people gave -- or give -- him credit for.

Thrasher King 18*

I think it should be SEMIN vs KOPITAR cause Malkin is better than both

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
May I remind people of the threads last year?

Parise >>>> Crosby
Prucha >>>> Crosby
Vanek >>>>> Crosby

Would not trade (fill in the blank) for Crosby straight up I recall being in some. Hell, anytime someone had a good week or period even threads like this popped up. Kopitar looks like a fine player and the real deal. Then again there is nothing wrong with any of those players above either. But who in their right mind would trade any for Crosby? It still is very early in his career. This is one of those threads that could pop up to haunt you in a year or so.

seriously....what does any of that have to do with Malkin and Kopitar?

The OP even said he thought Malkin was better....and asked "how wide or narrow is the gap?"

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
I have heard it before:

Me: Prucha better than Crosby
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=206746&highlight=Prucha+Crosby

Stan Fischler: Prucha better than Crosby ‎
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=204420&highlight=Prucha+Crosby

the five or so Parise >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Crosby threads that i think the original posters deleted in shame recently.

The Vanek >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Crosby threads.

..........and on and on. Believe me, unless this one is deleted as well, I will gladly pull this one up in a year to have a good laugh over too.

You are totally obsessed with this SC thing...you really really are. Tell me....what exactly will you be "pulling up" and getting a "good laugh" at in a year? That someone asked how wide/narrow the gap is? I might have missed it but I didnt notice anyone saying Kopitar was better....at most some said Kopitar will surprise people and the gap isnt as wide as some think....which might be true, time will tell....but here you go linking year old Crosby threads that are not even close to the same as what the OP is saying.....whats your point? whats your deal? You used to be a much better poster than this but I fear a year on the AO/SC thread has ruined you

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Mothra:

a) I was talking about Malkin not Crosby in this thread
b) The analogy is people overrating a player far too soon and then having reality coming crashing in on them. In this case the thread came up a ridiculous two games into Kopitar's entire career. Perhaps it will not come back and bite them, but I have seen it happen often in the past and the chances are good. Hell, he has what? Seven games now? He may buck the trend. Still is ridiculous to get all that excited yet, and was even more so two games in. Again, Paaaaaaaaaaaaarise >>>>>> Crosby!! one game in echos in my mind when I hear that. No knock on any of those players but sounds ridiculous this early in.
c) You would much rather take shots at me than try to follow an analogy. That is becoming a pattern, but it is your problem, not mine.

hockey2

Sep 10, 2006
No doubt about it... Malkin is the better player:dunno:
Kopitar is good, and gonna be even better, but Malkin is at a different level. Compare him with players like Ovechkin and Crosby insted:teach: :biglaugh:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Mothra:

b) The analogy is people overrating a player far too soon and then having reality coming crashing in on them. In this case the thread came up a ridiculous two games into Kopitar's entire career. Perhaps it will not come back and bite them, but I have seen it happen often in the past and the chances are good. Hell, he has what? Seven games now? He may buck the trend. Still is ridiculous to get all that excited yet, and was even more so two games in. Again, Paaaaaaaaaaaaarise >>>>>> Crosby!! one game in echos in my mind when I hear that. No knock on any of those players but sounds ridiculous this early in.
c) You would much rather take shots at me than try to follow an analogy. That is becoming a pattern, but it is your problem, not mine.
There's a difference between this thread, and the Parise, Vanek and Prucha > Crosby threads. Parise, Vanek and Prucha are all not nearly as good as Crosby, or on the same planet, so the comparisons are null and void, while Kopitar has shown that he and Malkin are at least somewhat comparable.

It's a fair comparison, they are the two best rookies this season, while the three lesser players fall much lower on the scale for last season.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
There's a difference between this thread, and the Parise, Vanek and Prucha > Crosby threads. Parise, Vanek and Prucha are all not nearly as good as Crosby, or on the same planet, so the comparisons are null and void, while Kopitar has shown that he and Malkin are at least somewhat comparable.

It's a fair comparison, they are the two best rookies this season, while the three lesser players fall much lower on the scale for last season.

You may be right in the long run. Hell, Malkin may bust, there are no guarentees. But, I was not the one that threw up a thread regarding Malkin two games in. My point was that these pop up far too soon far too often. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred they end up looking silly in hindsight.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

This comment comes from the perspective of a Pens fan who lives in LA and thus follows the Kings pretty closely. Kopitar is a really nice player. He is going to get better. Put simply, everything points to the fact that Kopitar is going to be really, really good.

That said, comparing him to Malkin is off base, especially right now. Malkin had no preseason games (aside from one period) to work on his timing. He had no time to adjust to the differences in the NHL game. That point notwithstanding, he was the best Pens forward on the ice in his first game and probably the second best in his other two games (and, it would have been a lot closer with Crosby if Recchi bothered to finish every now and then).

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Mothra:

you are...100% incorrect....if, lets say, the poster made a Kopitar >>> Malkin you woud be making sense......of course he did not.....he even said that Malkin was better....so tell me how does the "Paaaaaaaaaaaaarise >>>>>> Crosby" thread compare? For you to always bring up Crosby is just puzzling....but you do it all the time

I also find it funny how you blast people for "overrating a player far too soon" when you championed that cause for Malkin (at a time where you probably wouldnt recognize him if he was in the same room with you wearing a shirt that said "I'm Malkin")....another funny thing is this...."In this case the thread came up a ridiculous two games into Kopitar's entire career"...i could be wrong but wasnt that 2 more games than Malkin at that time?

still wondering what will "come back to bite him"...please tell me exactly what you mean.....without using Crosby analogies, because they simply dont apply here for reasons myself and others have pointed out

what was said that was so wrong in this thread.....not threads about 2 different players from over a year ago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->