Malkin vs Kopitar

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
there is actually a lot of swedes who have left to play in the nhl this season. and a lot of the stars have left. i have seen like a million sel games and a feaw rsl games and imo the russian league is better. its a lot faster. and in the european cup or whatever its called. the russain teams are allways better then the swedish teams.

Great. Thanks for that. That makes Malkin's stat line all the more impressive. Anyway, back to the original point. Malkin is a better player until Kopitar outplays him at the NHL. However, I don't think the gap is as big as many people thought. I'm not trying to say Malkin was overrated, he seems like a beast, but I think that many people underrated Kopitar. He's very good and I'm glad I have him on my hockey pool team, but I'd rather have a healthy Malkin.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
there is actually a lot of swedes who have left to play in the nhl this season. and a lot of the stars have left. i have seen like a million sel games and a feaw rsl games and imo the russian league is better. its a lot faster. and in the european cup or whatever its called. the russain teams are allways better then the swedish teams.

SO you've seen a million SEL games and only a few RSL games, and those few games were a large enough sample size for you to determine that it's a better league?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
May I remind people of the threads last year?

Parise >>>> Crosby
Prucha >>>> Crosby
Vanek >>>>> Crosby

Would not trade (fill in the blank) for Crosby straight up I recall being in some. Hell, anytime someone had a good week or period even threads like this popped up. Kopitar looks like a fine player and the real deal. Then again there is nothing wrong with any of those players above either. But who in their right mind would trade any for Crosby? It still is very early in his career. This is one of those threads that could pop up to haunt you in a year or so.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
But then, Malkin's team was arguably the best in Europe that season, Kopitar's got relegated from the SEL.
That's a good point, perhaps we should consider their performance at at the worlds in April, too.

Kopitar 6 games, 3 goals, 6 assists, 9 points. minus 2 playing for Slovenia, a team that finished last in the 16-team tournament.

Malkin 7 games, 3 goals, 6 assists, 9 points, plus 7 playing for Russia, a team that finished fifth.

Good grist for the mill.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Nope, didn't see this coming at all. Was totally floored when I saw this posted.
Who really cares. The Kings have there future, well present & future, #1 center, and the Pens have there future #2 center. Both teams are fortunate to have what they have. All I know, it's good for the fans of the NHL with both these guys and Crosby, Ovechkin, Nash, Kovalchuk, Phaneuf, Lehtonen, etc. being the future. Sit back and enjoy them all.

ILuvLA

Jul 16, 2004
Lost in LA
Nope, didn't see this coming at all. Was totally floored when I saw this posted.
Who really cares. The Kings have there future, well present & future, #1 center, and the Pens have there future #2 center. Both teams are fortunate to have what they have. All I know, it's good for the fans of the NHL with both these guys and Crosby, Ovechkin, Nash, Kovalchuk, Phaneuf, Lehtonen, etc. being the future. Sit back and enjoy them all.

:clap: Very good points!!!

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
Who really cares.
You could say that about pretty much every thread on this board which is dedicated in its entirety to precisely this kind of pointless debate.

That said, as a Kings' fan I love Kopitar, but Malkin is supernatural.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
SO you've seen a million SEL games and only a few RSL games, and those few games were a large enough sample size for you to determine that it's a better league?

yes it was. the level os play is much higher in russia. and there is a reason why sweden allmost allways loose against russia in the tournaments during the regualr season with players from the SEL and RSL only. if you said you have seen a million UHL games and a feaw CHL games and said the chl was better i wouldnt have argued with you because i wouldnt know because i havent seen a singel game from any of the leagues wich im pretty sure you havent with RSL and SEL.

AgentNaslund*

the ones who think that Malkin>>>>>>>>>>Kopitar, you guys are in for a surprise. the gap is alot closer then you imagine.

ILuvLA

Jul 16, 2004
Lost in LA
the ones who think that Malkin>>>>>>>>>>Kopitar, you guys are in for a surprise. the gap is alot closer then you imagine.

I agree, but I still think that Malkin has the edge on Kopitar. From a Kings' fan standpoint, I can't wait to watch Kopitar over the next few seasons. He's the real deal and we haven't had that in LA in a LOOOOOOOOONG time.

SChan*

yes it was. the level os play is much higher in russia. and there is a reason why sweden allmost allways loose against russia in the tournaments during the regualr season with players from the SEL and RSL only. if you said you have seen a million UHL games and a feaw CHL games and said the chl was better i wouldnt have argued with you because i wouldnt know because i havent seen a singel game from any of the leagues wich im pretty sure you havent with RSL and SEL.

it's harder to produce in SEL than RSL since SEL is more defensive minded. Just look at the kopitar vs malkin stats ffs. Now look at Kopitars start in NHL.

RSL might be a more skilled league, but SEL is a smarter league with more players playing in a system.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

I have heard it before:

Me: Prucha better than Crosby
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=206746&highlight=Prucha+Crosby

Stan Fischler: Prucha better than Crosby ‎
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=204420&highlight=Prucha+Crosby

the five or so Parise >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Crosby threads that i think the original posters deleted in shame recently.

The Vanek >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Crosby threads.

..........and on and on. Believe me, unless this one is deleted as well, I will gladly pull this one up in a year to have a good laugh over too.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
it's harder to produce in SEL than RSL since SEL is more defensive minded. Just look at the kopitar vs malkin stats ffs. Now look at Kopitars start in NHL.

RSL might be a more skilled league, but SEL is a smarter league with more players playing in a system.

RSL is a better league than the SEL and is notorious for low-scoring games and hard-to-come-by second assists.

And Malkin was the 2nd best player in it as a 19 Y/O.

That said, Kopitar does look damn good.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I have heard it before:

the five or so Parise >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Crosby threads that i think the original posters deleted in shame recently.

..........and on and on. Believe me, unless this one is deleted as well, I will gladly pull this one up in a year to have a good laugh over too.

Um, I checked back and read every post in this thread and nobody said that Kopitar was better than Malkin. To lump it together with those others isn't really fair, or appropriate.

And, if you check back to the original post, the original statement and question were:

"I think Malkin is better then Kopitar but how wide or narrow is the gap?"

Now, unless somebody deleted their threads, I think the majority of posters agreed with the original poster and think that Malkin is better than Kopitar. What some people disagree on is how much better Malkin is than Kopitar, but of course, until we see them both perform in the NHL at the same time, we won't really know.

File the thread away if you like, but I think you'll be trying to disprove a claim that nobody made.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Um, I checked back and read every post in this thread and nobody said that Kopitar was better than Malkin. To lump it together with those others isn't really fair, or appropriate.

And, if you check back to the original post, the original statement and question were:

"I think Malkin is better then Kopitar but how wide or narrow is the gap?"

Now, unless somebody deleted their threads, I think the majority of posters agreed with the original poster and think that Malkin is better than Kopitar. What some people disagree on is how much better Malkin is than Kopitar, but of course, until we see them both perform in the NHL at the same time, we won't really know.

File the thread away if you like, but I think you'll be trying to disprove a claim that nobody made.

I actually specifically quoted and was referring to and in fact quoted one post that said that 'you guys are in for a surprise. the gap is alot closer then you imagine.' Though others have said similar. I stand by my statement. I have heard it all before. Don't get me wrong, Kopitar seems to be a fine player. As were and are the ones in the threads that I pulled up. Malkin however is in another class entirely. He is every bit the prospect that Crosby and Ovechkin were coming into their rookie years.

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
Malkin is the better player but not by a boatload, From what i hear Kopitar is rounding up his defensive game, which is closing the gap even more. NOW, Malkin has Extremely good Defense so thats where i think the margin lies. He will be the Next Sergei Federov.

I see their offensive games to be very close together. Malkin i think has a SLIGHT advantage offensively id put him in the 110-120 point potential.. while Kopitar at 110 flat.

AgentNaslund*

I have heard it before:

we all know there are alot of stupid people on this board. dont worry, they know Crosby is superior to all young prospects, (at the time).

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I watched many RSL games and i would say that SEL and RSL are equal.
Though SEL is more defensive league.
Best RSL teams are stronger than best SEL teams, but in RSL there are also some teams that would play in Alvenskan(Amur, Krilya Sovetov, Traktor, Novokuznetsk).
And in Russia there is lack of good foreigners, all the best players except Marek, Noronen amd maybe Prusek and Rosa are Russians.

SChan*

RSL is a better league than the SEL

based on what? I am sure they don't broadcast RSL games in america. I stand by my claim that RSL is a more skilled league, while in SEL you learn to play in a system and for your teammates. Which one is more important to get ready for NHL? Well, I 'd say they're equal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad