Malkin vs Kopitar

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I think Malkin is better, but the gap isn't as big as many people thought going into the season. As impressive as Kopitar's start is, though, I think Malkin's would have been moreso.

Last year in the RSL, Malkin had 21g, 26a for 47 pts in 46 games.

Last year in the SEL, Kopitar had 8g, 12a for 20 pts in 47 games.

Malkin is one year, three weeks older than Kopitar. Both were playing in a pro league. I leave it to the Swedes and Russians to argue which is a tougher league, but I would give the edge to the SEL. Regardless, scoring is low in both leagues as assists are tougher to come by.

I've seen highlights of Malkin and his skating is very impressive for a big man. Kopitar moves well, too, but he doesn't have the breakaway speed that Malkin does. Some of the highlights I've seen, he looks like a runaway freight train. That's my two cents. Next?

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
Being a kings fan myself you cant really judge since Malkin hasnt played a game in the NHL yet.

Although i am eager to see kopitar play tonight against Dallas, since his game against the isles didnt impress me much.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I think Malkin is better, but the gap isn't as big as many people thought going into the season. As impressive as Kopitar's start is, though, I think Malkin's would have been moreso.

Malkin is one year, three weeks older than Kopitar. Both were playing in a pro league. I leave it to the Swedes and Russians to argue which is a tougher league, but I would give the edge to the SEL. Regardless, scoring is low in both leagues as assists are tougher to come by.

I've seen highlights of Malkin and his skating is very impressive for a big man. Kopitar moves well, too, but he doesn't have the breakaway speed that Malkin does. Some of the highlights I've seen, he looks like a runaway freight train. That's my two cents. Next?

have you actually seen a whole sel game?? the RSL is better.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I haven't really seen Malkin that much, so I can't comment on him or how he and Kopitar compare.

But what I like about Kopitar is his vision, heads up play, and skill with the puck. He plays hockey like it's a game of chess, looking around, seeing who's open, and thinks ahead. He already has an idea of what he's going to do with the puck before he even gets it. This makes him look like a veteran out there, very rarely just chipping the puck away, over carrying it, or misplacing it.

His passes are accurate, and we already know how accurate he is with that sharp angle shot in his first game. He also blasted one that blew past Legace but hit the crossbar.

Either way, I'm very happy with having Kopitar on this team.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
So is this entire board now about pitting Kopitar vs. X or Toews vs. X?

I think we should just have a thread stickied that's about Kopitar vs. Toews and just be done with it.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

So is this entire board now about pitting Kopitar vs. X or Toews vs. X?

I think we should just have a thread stickied that's about Kopitar vs. Toews and just be done with it.

It's pretty easy to complain when you don't even try to post something yourself:sarcasm:

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Kopitar has had a great start to the season but I'm still going to say he's got a ways to go to be at Malkin's level.

Complaining Customer

Aug 23, 2005
What a joke.

Malkin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kopitar

Did you just wet your pants?

Ok, Malkin has obviously a higher ceiling, but nobody can deny Kopitar is having a great start, ahead of expectations... in fact, he's having the start we were all waiting for from Malkin.

backofthenet

Jul 31, 2006
cant judge give me 5 years

Then why in the hell are you on a prospect board? Go start a new board that features five year vets so we can all just put down "told you sop." or "see, I was right, Lubo is a good dman."

Why don't you go to every single thread on this prospect board and say you want to wait five years to voice your opinion?

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Well, it's about time!! I predicted a thread like this about malkin and kopitar would come up here on hfboards. Soooooooo predictable...

Now back to the topic, i picked kopitar to be a darkhorse for the calder. He's the only one i could see going toe-to-toe with malkin for ROY honors.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Then why in the hell are you on a prospect board? Go start a new board that features five year vets so we can all just put down "told you sop." or "see, I was right, Lubo is a good dman."

Why don't you go to every single thread on this prospect board and say you want to wait five years to voice your opinion?

:biglaugh: got up on the wrong foot today:sarcasm:, but well said. i agree with you, but you didnt have to say it with such anger:madfire: ;)

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
TSN has a scouting report on Kopitar

Assets - Owns the size all 30 NHL teams crave from the center position. Has terrific hands, improving skating ability and the potential for offensive greatness.

Flaws - Must continue to work on his play without the puck. Needs to learn how to better utilize his linemates.

Career potential - First line center.

Bryzga lol*

After a year in the NHL, I think we'll see Kopitar's ceilling go up if he keeps playing like he is.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
have you actually seen a whole sel game?? the RSL is better.
No, redwingsfan, I have not seen a SEL or RSL game. I live in Nova Scotia have not been across the pond. Have only seen a few video clips, but this is not enough to form an opinion. If you have seen games in both leagues and can shed some light on this subject, it would be much appreciated. That's why I said I'd leave it to the Russian and Swedish fans to debate.

I was basing my tentative judgement on the fact that more Russian players have left for the NHL, while I think more Swedish players tend to stay home, thus keeping the calibre of play higher relative to the RSL.

Any personal insights would be more than welcome, though.

Cheers.

Viking Penguin*

Malkin will be the next Mario Lemieux, and Kopitar will play more like a weaker Jaromir Jagr. There you go!!! :yo:

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
No, redwingsfan, I have not seen a SEL or RSL game. I live in Nova Scotia have not been across the pond. Have only seen a few video clips, but this is not enough to form an opinion. If you have seen games in both leagues and can shed some light on this subject, it would be much appreciated. That's why I said I'd leave it to the Russian and Swedish fans to debate.

I was basing my tentative judgement on the fact that more Russian players have left for the NHL, while I think more Swedish players tend to stay home, thus keeping the calibre of play higher relative to the RSL.

Any personal insights would be more than welcome, though.

Cheers.

there is actually a lot of swedes who have left to play in the nhl this season. and a lot of the stars have left. i have seen like a million sel games and a feaw rsl games and imo the russian league is better. its a lot faster. and in the european cup or whatever its called. the russain teams are allways better then the swedish teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->