Malkin (Over)Hype?

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
hockeyman28 said:
malkin will be a great, great player. He reminds me of a mario lemieux that can play defense. I see him wedged between crosby and ovechkin. If i had to rank the three for the next 10 years id say:
Crosby
Malkin
Ovechkin

Agreed, but I have a feeling a lot of people will disagree.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
EroCaps said:
Malkin is Spezza with a great defensive game and w/out the shooting arsenal.

A future top 5-10 player in the NHL, but he has a lot to prove before being compared to Ovechkin or Crosby.

Malkin defenitly have better wheels the Spezza too.

Malkin should be compared with Eric Staal, or a Russian version of him. Malkin is a bit more skilled then Staal, but it remains to be seen how well he will work out in the NHL, how effective he can be over 82 games ect. But there is no chance in the world that Malkin won't become a great player, a franchise center. The question is just how good of a franchise center he will become.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I think we are comparing apples to oranges to bananas when discecting AO,Sid and Malkin .

I think the hype is deserving for Malkin -but to say he will be a better player than Sid or AO , or to say he will score over 100 points next season is just a plain ol waste of time .

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Count on Malkin to be leading the +/- every year, with a solid 80-90 pts and a lot of games played. Maybe more, depending on powerplay usage. Thats the main difference with Ovech and Crosby who are offensive powerhouse with some defensive flaws. (They will get good +/- ratios since they are dominating but less than Malkin)

Btw somebody know whos the best in +/- in history? That's problably the challenge for Malkin.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
SOLR said:
Count on Malkin to be leading the +/- every year, with a solid 80-90 pts and a lot of games played. Maybe more, depending on powerplay usage. Thats the main difference with Ovech and Crosby who are offensive powerhouse with some defensive flaws. (They will get good +/- ratios since they are dominating but less than Malkin)

Btw somebody know whos the best in +/- in history? That's problably the challenge for Malkin.

I think Bobby Orr with +124 in 1970-71. Wayne Gretzky may have been over +100 in 1982. Malkin will never threaten that record.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Ola said:
Malkin defenitly have better wheels the Spezza too.

Malkin should be compared with Eric Staal, or a Russian version of him. Malkin is a bit more skilled then Staal, but it remains to be seen how well he will work out in the NHL, how effective he can be over 82 games ect. But there is no chance in the world that Malkin won't become a great player, a franchise center. The question is just how good of a franchise center he will become.
I actually think that there is alot of both of those players in Malkin. Staal's skating, goal scoring and grit combined with Spezza's playmaking, size and danglement. IMO his shot is very good but if he can develope his release, he'll be that much more of an offensive force.

Bryzga lol*

I remember when people were saying Crosby would average 50 to 70 points in his first season.

Malkin is definetly that good. If Malkin tops 90 points, while being a complete player, and playing on the PK, it'll be an amazing feat and he's fully capable of doing it.

The only guy I can see competing with him for the calder is Radulov if he decides to play next year, but Malkin is still the favorite by far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad