Malkin is the real deal folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
Personally I'd go Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin in terms of potential, but the 3 are so darn good I won't argue with anyone who would rate them differently.

Malkin is silky smooth, but to me just lacks the explosiveness the Ovechkin and Crosby both have. At the NHL level that extra bit of acceleration can make all the difference.

Only time can tell who is the best, and I wouldn't be surprised if people are still arguing about this 20 years from now.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
Zine said:
I agree, he's nowhere near the level of Ovechkin and especially Crosby.

They've been equal so far, but Ovy's been saving his best for the elimination round.

And for Sid....I mean could you imagine if Crosby were playing? He'd be leading the tourney in points with 20. And, dare I say, Canada would be unbeaten. He'd whip that team into shape fast.

Go Sid and Ovy :yo:

ARe you being sarcastic??

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
I'm tired of all those Ovy > Crosby Malkin > Gretzky kind of crap. These guys still didn't played one full nhl season.

By the way, my father bought me tickets to see Ovechkin against the habs on march 30 I think, and for my b-day I had a Moscow Dynamo Ovechkin jersey, that tells you HOW MUCH I like Ovy. He's so spectacular and he's my all-time favorite player. But still, Crosby is TWO full years younger and he's an incredible player. Crosby has a better vision than Ovechkin and he will be a better playmaker, thus a better catalyst in a decent team. However, Ovechkin will never need great linemates to produce, because he does everything on his own, and that's so spectacular. Does that makes him better than Crosby??? No way. They're just playing a different game. Malkin is a grace on ice, and he reminds everyone of Mario Lemieux. Crosby has an incredible blend of puck skill, playmaking ability and passion. Ovechkin is the most spectacular player in the world right now and he's quite possibly one of the top3 player in the NHL right now. So, what's the deal? We, as fans, are blessed to see those players (throw in Phaneuf while we're at it) for the coming years. Who's better? YOU DON'T KNOW.

The only downside to this story (and no I'm not a cry-baby, if you think I am you're a spoiled brat) is that Ovechkin is in Washington, and both Malkin and Crosby are in Pittsburg. Lemieux and Jagr were in Pittsburg too... Heck, why are they always there? 4 of the 6 best players I've seen in my life played or will play in Pitts, that blows.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Malkin scared me half to death when he looked like he was keeling over on the bench after being hit with a puck(I thought it was in the upper chest). I thought it was another Chris Pronger/Jiri Fischer incident for a few seconds there.

Rebecca

Nov 1, 2005
Ptbo
I can't wait until next year when we get to add a Malkin-Crosby-Ovechkin sticky thread to the collection.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Ironchef Chris Wok said:
Still rather have Kovalchuk
Agreed. He is getting pretty old now though, and the others are still young and improving. /sarcasm.

Kovalchuk is still the most dynamic player in the NHL.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
so im assuming malkin wins the calder next season, unless some spectacular goaltending performance occurs

Malurous

Dec 14, 2005
ducky said:
No concerns how easily he was shut down by the Canadians at the World Juniors?

As others have pointed out, he didn't have much of a supporting cast, at least compared to Canada. Also, I think Ovechkin, after being shut down even more totally (Phaneuf etc could be the reason), has done just fine in the NHL ;)

As for Malkin in the Olympics, whoa. I've seen three Russian games I believe, and he's playing a polished all-around game spiced with absolutely dazzling moments. Like that pass to Ovechkin against US. And, he's able to play that all-around game at this level while doing the job of two people when Kharitonov can't keep up. Malkin and Olli Jokinen for Finland (seemingly doing the job of three people all the time, but hasn't been able to produce that much offensively) have in my view been the best players at lifting their respective lines in the tournament, and that "makes others play better" kind of thing is just an awesome capability for any player.

When it comes to this argument which seems all too familiar and is totally pointless for many reasons including different playing styles, I'll just sum it up: Malkin>Ovechkin>Crosby and leave it like that :biglaugh: The big issue anyway is that all three, coupled with other great youngsters, are going to have one heck of an entertainment value, let's just be happy for that.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
artilector said:
I agree, but I'm too tired to repeat my arguments. Bottom line:
Malkin > Crosby, Malkin > Ovechkin, IMO.

Ovechkin is my favorite player, but there are holes in his game (defense,patience,..). Same for Crosby (size,defense,..). Malkin just has no weaknesses.
this was what is was trying to think of. it seems that ovechkin tries to often and recklessly to make the dazzling individual plays like he does in washington. lack of patience. that's right.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I heard a expert call Malkin and Ovechkin the first players of the 3rd generation of Russian players. His point was that the 1st generation just wanted to get out of Soviet, the 2nd played for the money but these guys, the 3rd generation, wants to be the best in the game - ever.

I feel Kovalchuk for example is more of a 2nd generation, its obvious how he and Kovalev for example not always works great together ect. Both wants the attention.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
After yesterday's Russia-US game, I think its obvious who the real deal is....Kasparaitis! :)

Hmm, imagine though if Washington picked Malkin first, and Penguins took Ovechkin... The Kid would be centering Ovy right now... not nearly the same Calder race hoopla, but goals, lots and lots of goals...

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Ola said:
I heard a expert call Malkin and Ovechkin the first players of the 3rd generation of Russian players. His point was that the 1st generation just wanted to get out of Soviet, the 2nd played for the money but these guys, the 3rd generation, wants to be the best in the game - ever.

I feel Kovalchuk for example is more of a 2nd generation, its obvious how he and Kovalev for example not always works great together ect. Both wants the attention.

Yeah, I'd say it's as accurate as a generalization can be. From a Russian fan's perspective, the 1st generation was more or less washed up by the time they were able to break loose; the 2nd generation took the brunt of the transition period, and like their countrymen, learned that you have to look out for yourself; the 3rd generation is just normal, isn't as disciplined/polished as players in the 1st, but now picking up more elements from the NHL game, and a lot closer to their country than the 2nd generation.

Kovalchuk is part of the 3rd generation; he gets lazy though, and then it can seem like he does not want to win. No, he really does, he just does not think that winning should involve him digging pucks out of corners!

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
Malkin looks better and better for each game but i think its worth mentioning he is playing on familiar BIG ice, its still not NHL. Many "best player outside of NHL" has never made it in NHL. I do think Malkin will make it but im just saying he hasnt played there yet lol

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
franchise player said:
By the way, my father bought me tickets to see Ovechkin against the habs on march 30 I think, and for my b-day I had a Moscow Dynamo Ovechkin jersey, that tells you HOW MUCH I like Ovy. He's so spectacular and he's my all-time favorite player. But still, Crosby is TWO full years younger and he's an incredible player. Crosby has a better vision than Ovechkin and he will be a better playmaker, thus a better catalyst in a decent team. However, Ovechkin will never need great linemates to produce, because he does everything on his own, and that's so spectacular. Does that makes him better than Crosby??? No way. They're just playing a different game. Malkin is a grace on ice, and he reminds everyone of Mario Lemieux. Crosby has an incredible blend of puck skill, playmaking ability and passion. Ovechkin is the most spectacular player in the world right now and he's quite possibly one of the top3 player in the NHL right now. So, what's the deal? We, as fans, are blessed to see those players (throw in Phaneuf while we're at it) for the coming years. Who's better? YOU DON'T KNOW.

The only downside to this story (and no I'm not a cry-baby, if you think I am you're a spoiled brat) is that Ovechkin is in Washington, and both Malkin and Crosby are in Pittsburg. Lemieux and Jagr were in Pittsburg too... Heck, why are they always there? 4 of the 6 best players I've seen in my life played or will play in Pitts, that blows.
good post.

Anyway, what surprises me is seeing people going ecstatic about Malkin only now. 8 or 9 months ago I watched him at the WCH in Vienna and he looked absolutely awesome to me. PURE gold, like the signature of the avatar I’ve been wearing here for a couple of months some time ago .
As I wrote after those WChamps, he was the youngster that most impressed me in an international competition since Jagr in ’91(I think) WCH …. (and Pavel Bure in 1990 WCH)
But here on these boards very few posters considered him in the same breath with Crosby and Ovechkin back then, even after those WCH! :pout:

KariyaIsGod*

Why don't we just all come righ tout and say he's the greatest player of all-time. It's quite clear.

His ability to make a saucer pass is absolutely UNMATCHED...

Wayne Gretzky, Mario lemieux... Bow down to Malkin. Bobby Orr, shut up, you can't touch Malkin's skill.

Hey, maybe the hockey messiah Dave King will come out and say it true, then we'll know for certain it's the truth... Dave King, knows EVERYTHING about hockey after-all...

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
DrMoses said:
Why don't we just all come righ tout and say he's the greatest player of all-time. It's quite clear.

His ability to make a saucer pass is absolutely UNMATCHED...

Wayne Gretzky, Mario lemieux... Bow down to Malkin. Bobby Orr, shut up, you can't touch Malkin's skill.

Hey, maybe the hockey messiah Dave King will come out and say it true, then we'll know for certain it's the truth... Dave King, knows EVERYTHING about hockey after-all...

Uh yeah, okay Moses. We were comparing Malkin to Crosby and Ovechkin not to the greatest players of all time. Grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->