Malkin is out for the semifinal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Plain and simple, Malkin made a mistake. I have to give a hand clap to the IIHF for punishing the act and not the outcome. IMO thats one of the things that the NHL really needs to take a look at changing.

Yureeka47*

Kaizer said:
I'd use Taratukhin with Su-33 and Kharitonov more since they've already played together at 2 of Eurotour stages (if I remember correctly, but I'm not sure)

So no one will replace the missing roster spot?

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Yureeka47 said:
So no one will replace the missing roster spot?

I don't think you can. Or can you? There will be also Nepryaev coming, he can play center. So probably, Taratukhin will center the Dynamo duo, and thewings for Nepryaev will be rotated

Balej20*

That would be a complete joke if Malkin were to be suspended for this next game. He didn't even deserve the penalty, let alone the 5 minute major, let alone being thrown out of the game.

EDIT: Did I miss something more than what I saw...I just saw him fall down with another player after the play near the crease. What else did he do?

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Balej20 said:
That would be a complete joke if Malkin were to be suspended for this next game. He didn't even deserve the penalty, let alone the 5 minute major, let alone being thrown out of the game.

EDIT: Did I miss something more than what I saw...I just saw him fall down with another player after the play near the crease. What else did he do?
He tried to kick Lecavalier. Even the try is punished.

BCCHL inactive

Quit using the word "would". Malkin is suspended for one game. The IIHF rulebook mandates that suspension because of his Match Penalty.

Do you people not understand?....

-Malkin tried to kick Lecavalier. (It doesn't matter if he succeeded or how severe of an attempt it was.)
-The referee MUST call a MATCH PENALTY.
-Malkin is AUTOMATICALLY SUSPENDED ONE GAME because the IIHF rulebook MANDATES a minimum ONE GAME SUSPENSION for a MATCH PENALTY. Not even Rene Fasel can overturn that.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well, I must say "thin bones" threw Lecavalier in the air and to the ground. Got to love that.

Joretus

After seeing one kick to own team mate in one game and that allmost killing him I'm saying even trying to kick should be always very much punished. I'm not saying Malkin tryed to hurt and not even saying much about this case, but generally saying "kicking is ok as long as you won't hurt" it's just freaking dumb and shows you haven't obviously played nor seen what skate blade can do.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
What a joke ! Damn Semi without Malkin :( Oh boy it will be hard :( Anyway SHAIBUUUUUUUUUUUUU ROSSIJAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!

Malurous

Dec 14, 2005
Force said:
Considering the situation -both fighting and throwing fists and ellbows- and the heat of the battle (dieing seconds of the game), and the upcoming semifinal, i think a match penalty is to harsh and lacks "fingerspitzengefühl" (fingertip-feeling) by the refs.

I can see the point about kicking, but when you consider the Jagr check where the opponent actually got hurt without any provocation what so ever, i think they should have let him "get off" turning a blind eye and leave it at the game misconduct; The ref should have let him off the hook and had a talk with him after the game instead. As others pointed out a kick can be horrible...

The problem is that it wasn't possible to give him a game misconduct. While Ruutu got that (as injury mandates in that situation, again check the rulebook) and would have maybe gotten 2+2 if not for Jagr's helmet... And nothing had Jagr not gone down at the last second. Ok, let's not get started about that one again, just another example how the rulebook forces the ref's hand. Same thing with the Hatcher-on-Selanne thing in the other game. but in my books, kicking is generally a worse thing than bodychecking. [Sorry off-topic, but "no provocation" may be right, but that was basicly a decision "Will I check him, or will I give them a goal?" Not a surprising decision made.] Obviously the whole Malkin-Lecavalier incident was the same thing: a game on the line, and this time it was rougher: one team was going home.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Den said:
I don't think you can. Or can you? There will be also Nepryaev coming, he can play center. So probably, Taratukhin will center the Dynamo duo, and thewings for Nepryaev will be rotated
You can only add a player if another one is injured.

Last edited:

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Van said:
Quit using the word "would". Malkin is suspended for one game. The IIHF rulebook mandates that suspension because of his Match Penalty.
The point is the match penalty was undeserved and to suspend Malkin for an Olympics semifinal for what happened on the ice is a ridiculous decision, embarassing for the whole IIHF.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Bobby Orr's Knees said:
Malkin is suspeded? Wow. The Russians are toast. He's been one of their best players.

He has been one of their best players, its a crushing blow, but I am not going to say they're losing to Finland because of it.Theres plenty of talent that can play a few extra shifts ech, IMHO.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
octopi said:
He has been one of their best players, its a crushing blow, but I am not going to say they're losing to Finland because of it.Theres plenty of talent that can play a few extra shifts ech, IMHO.
Yup. To bad it wasn't Afinagenov. The Finns are going to feast on him.

Figgles*

Does someone want to post the video of Clint Malarchuk to show how dangerous a skate can be?

shawn_kemp*

Goddamn it, our 2nd best center!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Random Oracle said:
Certainly a loss for the Russians, but I'd say Finland is worse off without Salo.

Ummm, I'm going to say thats a big No.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Definetely a big less but you can`t judge in any other way. kicking is dangerous, has nothing to do with the sports. I`m sure that neutral fans would agree here. Even in the heat of the moment you have to control yourself, else it can get dangerous. I like Malkin and all and I cheered for the Russians, but players need to learn. And surely it is not ridicolous that such a thing gets called. It would be ridiculous not to call it. It is a game and it should stay one. Safety goes first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad