Malkin is out for the semifinal

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
That looks like an intentional kick and could have been lethal...

Google Clint Malarchuk

I'm a Malkin fan by the way but that was just wrong lets hope nobody ever does something like that again.

phillypensfan

Aug 3, 2005
MrAlfie said:
sorry , but i dont think anyone said this...
all that has been said was that he tried to... and the attempt alone is a disgrace...

and no, i dont think he should let anyone whack on his face, but he couldve punched back, or get on his feet and go after him.. whatever.. but dont attempt to kick someone in the face when theres a razorsharp blade under your shoe...

and by the way... lecavalier got his 2 minute roughing penalty.. noones saying hes innocent.. it was in the heat of the moment.. just as malkins kicking attempt was but you have to plant it in your head that there are things on your boots that can do alot of harm... (malarchuk anyone?)

Malkin's skate came nowhere near Lecavalier's face,so I don't see how you're still calling it an attempt to kick him in the face. I could see saying that if the skate came anywhere close to his head,but the further his skate got to was Lecavalier's chest. If he had wanted to get him in the face,I'm sure he easily could have by extending his leg further up.

shawn_kemp*

looking at this play I've got the feeling that Malkin is a kid yet. he looked pretty scared when Lecavalier went after him.

shawn_kemp*

SammyTheBull said:
That looks like an intentional kick and could have been lethal...

Google Clint Malarchuk

I'm a Malkin fan by the way but that was just wrong lets hope nobody ever does something like that again.

:clap:

I really hope it's the last time I've ever seen such a thing!

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
shawn_kemp said:
:clap:

I really hope it's the last time I've ever seen such a thing!

Just saw it on Coaches corner. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Malkin obviously did npot think. Although, playing devils advocate, it does look like he used the calf of his leg(as opposed to trying to hit with skate blade) Still.... :shakehead

If the one game suspension is correct, then I think Malkin learns his lesson(As Jiri Fischer did butt for but ending a guy in the mouth and having to sit out game 5 of the Cup final). Malkin can sit in the stands and :cry:

MrAlfie

just to clarify, i never said he did it on purpose, and im 100% sure that if his intention was to kick him then definitly NOT with the blade, all im trying to say is that it couldve ended very bad.. like malkin throwing the foot unlucky or lecavaliers head a few inches into the wrong direction.. if anything like this happened it couldve ended in a big mess.
it didnt happen its all good. like someone stated earlier, i hope he learns to keep this crap out of hockey.
hes an awesome hockey player and doesnt need this stuff.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'm surprised no one mentioned it but Malkin throws a forearm to the back of Lecavlier's head and then pulls him down. I think that is what pissed Vinny off first, then the kick is what really made him freak out. I have no problem with Malkin getting rough, in fact I like it but as others have said kicking WAY crosses the line. There is nothing to argue here, regardless of intention, you cannot kick at an opponent in hockey. I'm sure he'll learn from this mistake!

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Sinurgy said:
I'm surprised no one mentioned it but Malkin throws a forearm to the back of Lecavlier's head and then pulls him down. I think that is what pissed Vinny off first, then the kick is what really made him freak out. I have no problem with Malkin getting rough, in fact I like it but as others have said kicking WAY crosses the line. There is nothing to argue here, regardless of intention, you cannot kick at an opponent in hockey. I'm sure he'll learn from this mistake!

I mentioned the arm to the head....in fact, I had origionally thought thats why he got the major.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
shawn_kemp said:
why wouldn't Malkin play?

Jarkko Ruutu got a 5+20 against the Czech Republic and played against Canada, so again, why wouldn't he play?

exactly

plus, malkin did nothing to warrant a match penalty compared to ruutu

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
octopi said:
I mentioned the arm to the head....in fact, I had origionally thought thats why he got the major.
I just read through this entire thread and I didn't see anyone mention anything about the forearm to the back of Vinnie's head. :dunno:

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
kicking is overrated

just like that "kicking motion" that got havlat suspended, when he was flying onto the net and it would be completely impossible not to swing ones leg

ugh, this pisses me off

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Kurtz said:
Yea, next time he's lying prone on the ice and someone is punching his face in, he shouldn't try to get them off of him, but rather let 'em whack away :shakehead

So I guess it would have been ok if he had made contact with Lecavalier's face, he's just defending himself right? Malkin is a big boy, he could have gotten Vinny off of him with a shove or hit Vinny back. He isn't being suspended for defending himself, he's being suspended for an attempt at kicking a guy in the face.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Metallian said:
kicking is overrated

just like that "kicking motion" that got havlat suspended, when he was flying onto the net and it would be completely impossible not to swing ones leg

ugh, this pisses me off
You're entitled to your opinion but I think it's just one of those things you can't be too sensitive about. There is just too much at risk, any form of kicking has to be dealt with, even if it snags a few supposed "innocents".

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
shawn_kemp said:

Jarkko Ruutu got a 5+20 against the Czech Republic and played against Canada, so again, why wouldn't he play?

Ruutu got a game misconduct. Malkin got a match penalty.

Force

Jan 26, 2006
Considering the situation -both fighting and throwing fists and ellbows- and the heat of the battle (dieing seconds of the game), and the upcoming semifinal, i think a match penalty is to harsh and lacks "fingerspitzengefühl" (fingertip-feeling) by the refs.

I can see the point about kicking, but when you consider the Jagr check where the opponent actually got hurt without any provocation what so ever, i think they should have let him "get off" turning a blind eye and leave it at the game misconduct; The ref should have let him off the hook and had a talk with him after the game instead. As others pointed out a kick can be horrible...

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Force said:
I can see the point about kicking, but when you consider the Jagr check where the opponent actually got hurt without any provocation what so ever, i think they should have let him "get off" turning a blind eye and leave it at the game misconduct; The ref should have let him off the hook and had a talk with him after the game instead. As others pointed out a kick can be horrible...

There was only a minute left in the game when he got the penalty. I believe the decision to ultimatly suspend him was ultimatly made by a higher power than the ref. It sucks for Russia that he's suspended, but if it teaches him a lesson in not blinding lashing out with limbs or sticks, then all the better.

Shack

Aug 25, 2004
Lappeenranta
I saw the replay and it's hard to say was it indendet kick.

When Cavalier punches Malkin to head his foot swings right up, it might have been reflect or something.

Try it with your friend, you'll lie on the floor he will be there in the same position as Vinny was and then he will hit you... remember to keep your left foot free so you'll see what happens :)

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Yureeka47 said:
Whos going to replace Malkin??
I'd use Taratukhin with Su-33 and Kharitonov more since they've already played together at 2 of Eurotour stages (if I remember correctly, but I'm not sure)

BCCHL inactive

Some of this is probably repetitive, but I'm going all out here...

shawn_kemp said:

A Match Penalty is more severe than a Game Misconduct, and the Match brings an automatic one-game suspension.

helicecopter said:
I can't see why he should not play.

Because the rulebook says he can't.

cassius said:
I agree. If he made contact with him thats one thing, but in the middle of a scrum where he didn't even hit him.. I think its unfair.

Kicking and attempting to kick, no matter what the situation, is judged with the same severity. With a piece of equipment that includes a blade, you cannot take any risks whatsoever. If you allow a little leniency, the consequences could be tragic. Supplementary discipline will be based on results, but the referee must assess a Match Penalty in every situation.

Metallian said:
kicking is overrated

Sometimes I wish profanity wasn't censored so we can tell certain individuals exactly how we feel about the stupid things they say. This comment is over the top.

Force said:
The ref should have let him off the hook and had a talk with him after the game instead.

That's not a referee's job. A referee's job is to react to what happens during the game, and assess the appropriate penalties in order to keep the game safe and fair. If Malkin tried to kick Lecavalier, the referee's options are limited to assessing a Match Penalty.

That, and it was still 1-0 Russia when it happened. Markov had just gotten out of the box, so the play was even strength. If you don't give Malkin the Match Penalty, which is 5 minutes on the clock, Canada doesn't get the powerplay they should get. In that situation, Pat Quinn is going to throw every waterbottle, stick, stickboy, and the dressing room sink at you....and you'd deserve it. (Think about who is saying this too ....I have the reputation of being the most biased in favour of the zebras on these boards.)

octopi said:
I believe the decision to ultimatly suspend him was ultimatly made by a higher power than the ref.

Yup. It's called the rulebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->