Malkin at the Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

al3x

Jul 12, 2005
Bucharest,Romania
I've seen Malkin playing 2 games at these Olympics and I have to say I was really impressed by him. I'm watching right now the match against Sweden and he plays on both the PP and PK, and he does it really really well (he also got an asist on Russia's third goal :handclap: ). I just wanted more opinions from some other ppl who saw him and know more about hockey than me...

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Think he played much better today than yesterday.

Seems to be on the top PK unit.

His line was Russias best during the first 2 periods today imo..... which i think the Russian coach confirmed by putting them out on the PP ahead of the Kovalev or Yashin lines at times.

Anybody else notice how much his skating style looks like a young Mario Lemieux's? Its almost creapy.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
In first game he was bad, Imo. He completed only few passes and looked very shaky. He played better in the 2nd game but not in the whole game. In first period he still looked adapting but better than yesterday. In 2nd period when I wanted to post a rant about him ;) he started to play like "Malkin" and in the second he continued to play his game. As far tournament will go than better he will play, Imo.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
davemess said:
Think he played much better today than yesterday.

Seems to be on the top PK unit.

His line was Russias best during the first 2 periods today imo..... which i think the Russian coach confirmed by putting them out on the PP ahead of the Kovalev or Yashin lines at times.

Anybody else notice how much his skating style looks like a young Mario Lemieux's? Its almost creapy.

I have not had the opportunity to watch enough of the olympics, but God I hope so. He certainly has Mario's size and reach, if he has anything close to that skating ability Mario had he will be scary. Mario often looked like he was moving half assed, giving only partial effort. It just seemed that easy out there for him, he was so smooth that he merely looked like it was half assed, it never was. He just blew by people. If Malkin is anything like that he would be the perfect compliment to what Crosby brings to the table. Much more grit than Mario ever showed but still with that amazing vision. Top two lines centered by those two would be poison to prepare against and would be such a change up line to line.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Jaded-Fan said:
Mario often looked like he was moving half assed, giving only partial effort. It just seemed that easy out there for him, he was so smooth that he merely looked like it was half assed, it never was.

Malkin is exactly the same way, he seems to take one stride compared to everybody elses two to cover the same ground. Never looks like he is skating fast but just eats up the ground.

NashisCash

Jan 25, 2006
Peterboreough
Malkin's style of playmaking, and just how he looks on the ice, reminds me very much of Forsberg. I still can't believe how gigantic he looks on the ice, and he definitely has a lot of muscle to add. I can easily see him becoming a more valuable player then Ovechkin in the long run.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
NashisCash said:
Malkin's style of playmaking, and just how he looks on the ice, reminds me very much of Forsberg. I still can't believe how gigantic he looks on the ice, and he definitely has a lot of muscle to add. I can easily see him becoming a more valuable player then Ovechkin in the long run.

That was what NJ head scout Dave Conti said prior to the draft. He said that if he had the first choice he would be very tempted to take Malkin first. But likely would chicken out at the end, if I remember correctly. And Conti is a pretty good judge of hockey prospects.

NashisCash

Jan 25, 2006
Peterboreough
I think he'll be better than Ovechkin in the long run but not better than Crosby. Ovechkin to me is like Bure, he has good hockey sense, but most of all he just blows you away with his pure skill. That's where Crosby has the edge, his phenomenal hockey sense (not that Ovechkin is a slouch). Malkin has great vision and is physically more gifted than Crosby, but I don't think his feel for the game is quite as good, though it is still elite. Pittsburgh will likely have the top two centres in the game for a very long time...scary thought. Even right now Malkin is arguably the best player on team Russia.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Procrastinator said:
didnt see the game today, but yesterday he looked like a boy amongst men.

maybe just alittle nervous.
he was significantly better today. one of russia's best players.

The_Eck

Jan 5, 2006
Montreal
CSKA said:
IMO he will be better than Crosby and Ovy.

I actually agree with you. Malkin will surpass Crosby as the best player onthe penguins without a doubt IMO. Which is great news for penguins fans such as myself! :handclap:

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Marcel the great! said:
how will Pittsburgh be able able to surround these 2 centers in a cap world

Who is Surrounding Them Usually Doesn't matter, thats why they are STUDs.

With them the Pens should worry about adding some good D-men to their young crop.

ctrules

Mar 29, 2005
davemess said:
Malkin is exactly the same way, he seems to take one stride compared to everybody elses two to cover the same ground. Never looks like he is skating fast but just eats up the ground.

ive always wondered, how is it that players like mario and malkin are able to skate like that. Is it training, technique or just given talent? God, i wish i could skate like them, i'd prolly be in the nhl by now :sarcasm:

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
The_Eck said:
I actually agree with you. Malkin will surpass Crosby as the best player onthe penguins without a doubt IMO. Which is great news for penguins fans such as myself! :handclap:

agreed.

Malkin :bow:
his playmaking is MUCH better than crosbys, he's faster, he hits, he doesnt dive, and he's a complete player

crosbys fancier though

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Metallian said:
agreed.

his playmaking is MUCH better than crosbys, he's faster, he hits, he doesnt dive, and he's a complete player

And we're off.

Crosby rebuttal in 3, 2, 1, .......

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
Kaizer said:
In first game he was bad, Imo. He completed only few passes and looked very shaky. He played better in the 2nd game but not in the whole game. In first period he still looked adapting but better than yesterday. In 2nd period when I wanted to post a rant about him ;) he started to play like "Malkin" and in the second he continued to play his game. As far tournament will go than better he will play, Imo.

I don't know if "bad" is the word I'd use to describe it, but you've seen him play more than I have, no doubt. While he didn't seem to get his offense really going until today (weird that it took him being shifted off of Ovie's line for it to happen. I dunno why. He just looked like he had trouble breaking out of the neutral zone against the Slovaks), he did have a few chances against the Slovaks and I thought his D was just money (both games). This kid is a beast.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
Metallian said:
agreed.

crosbys fancier though

Stop. Just stop. This thread is about MALKIN. If you want a Crosby v. Malkin thread, start your own and stop derailing this one. I'm sick of seeing your garbage every time I click a thread about a Pens player or prospect and could care less if you like Malkin or not.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
Jaded-Fan said:
I have not had the opportunity to watch enough of the olympics, but God I hope so. He certainly has Mario's size and reach, if he has anything close to that skating ability Mario had he will be scary. Mario often looked like he was moving half assed, giving only partial effort. It just seemed that easy out there for him, he was so smooth that he merely looked like it was half assed, it never was. He just blew by people. If Malkin is anything like that he would be the perfect compliment to what Crosby brings to the table. Much more grit than Mario ever showed but still with that amazing vision. Top two lines centered by those two would be poison to prepare against and would be such a change up line to line.

Dave Mess is dead on. The both (well, YOUNG Lemieux, anyway) look like they're almost skating in slow motion until you see them blow by someone with a shorter stride, who appears much faster, like they're standing still.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
CRUNK JUICE said:
Stop. Just stop. This thread is about MALKIN. If you want a Crosby v. Malkin thread, start your own and stop derailing this one. I'm sick of seeing your garbage every time I click a thread about a Pens player or prospect and could care less if you like Malkin or not.

I didnt bring him up :dunno:

This thread is about Malkin, stop derailing it in defence of your boyfriend Sidney

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
Metallian said:
I didnt bring him up :dunno:

This thread is about Malkin, stop derailing it in defence of your boyfriend Sidney

Give me a ****ing break. Maybe you didn't bring him up THIS TIME, but you certainly jumped on the oppurtunity to slam Crosby. Every post you make in regards to the Pens winds up slamming Crosby or Fleury in some way, You've derailed thread after thread with your garbage and I know I'm not the only one who's sick of it. Regardless, I'm done with you now. Onto the ignore list you go. Something I should've done a long time ago.

NOW, back to MALKIN.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Kaizer said:
Agreed. Malkin was not Malkin in the first game. He didn't take charge on the ice with his skating or playmaking the way he can. It was good to see him being agressive with some hits though. Is it me or does Malkin always seem to start tourny's a little slow, then becomes one of its best players when all is said and done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad