Malkin Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

time

Feb 26, 2005
Lost in all the bitterness of a crushing loss and a rather dubious MVP selection, Malkin impressed me (a Canadian) in one key respect. He stayed in Russia this year to help his hometown club win a championship -- this is the same club in which he's developed his whole life.

Forgoing millions to help your hometown gain some pride in very difficult times? Why, since its hockey day in Canada, I award Malkin the 2006 Jean Beliveau Award for paying back those who made you a star before you cash all those big cheques.

I guess Pogge is a close runner-up for buying his mom a car with the Leafs' bonus money.

Gotta say something about hockey -- the people who play it are rock solid (I even hear the Ovechkin is helluva nice guy!).

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
He is not forgoing millions as he earns probably 1.5-2 times more in Magnitka than in Pit under the new CBA. I am actually tempted to start a "Malkin overrated", or "Malkin, the best player outside NHL, BS" thread... A very good player, but does not deserve the hype yet. And why do you think that Magnitka is having difficult times? It's one of the richest and most stable clubs in Russia. They are building a new arena, for instance as of now.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Den said:
He is not forgoing millions as he earns probably 1.5-2 times more in Magnitka than in Pit under the new CBA. I am actually tempted to start a "Malkin overrated", or "Malkin, the best player outside NHL, BS" thread... A very good player, but does not deserve the hype yet. And why do you think that Magnitka is having difficult times? It's one of the richest and most stable clubs in Russia. They are building a new arena, for instance as of now.
I'm surprised about your statement on Malkin. You're like the only Russian fan saying this. How is he playing in the RSL? Isn't he dominating the league right now? Even North Americans are all high on him. Most Russians said that they have no doubt that Malkin is better than Crosby. Do you agree?

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Canuck21t said:
I'm surprised about your statement on Malkin. You're like the only Russian fan saying this. How is he playing in the RSL? Isn't he dominating the league right now? Even North Americans are all high on him. Most Russians said that they have no doubt that Malkin is better than Crosby. Do you agree?

I think its purely frustration talking due to Malkin choking and therby letting his teamates as well as country down in the World Jrs. Sure Malkin shed more tears than anyone on the ice save Khudobin... but I dont feel for Malkin. He should have played better and he will go on to a glorious career while it was the last chance for the great but vastly underrated guys like Shirokov and Kulemin to showcase themselves.

I am mad at Malkin as well and a little tempted to start a "Malkin = OVERATED!" thread out of pure spite as well.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
What I've notice was that Malkin was always on the ice. He took very long shifts and I don't think that's good. A team should not concentrate so much on one player. That's way too much pressure for a 19-year old no matter how talented he may be.

Chuck28

Jan 3, 2006
I really appreciate that Malkin chose not to show up for the gold medal game.

b4uhitme

Dec 6, 2005
Ottawa
Rebecca said:
Can't wait to see him in a Pens uniform next year ;)
me too!! hopefully it's not called the "fine whine line"

good luck to Malkin in his final year of the RSL.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Canuck21t said:

I don't know about Crosby, but the media give title "best outside ..." pisses me off. There are several players in his league in the RSL right now: Morozov, Zinoviev, Mozyakin, Korolyuk, Sushinsky, Koshechkin, Sokolov and Scott, but none of them gets 1/10- of Malkin's press. The fact that he is playing on the best Euro team, having the teammates that he does also helps. I mean, he is a great player, but not "the best". How can you assign that title to Malkin who is having his first stellar season, with Sushinsky, Vlasak, Peltonen active? These guys were perenial 1.+ PPG earners and MVPs, and play-off MVPs. Overall, Su is just the best RSL player of the last 5 years...

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Den said:
I don't know about Crosby, but the media give title "best outside ..." pisses me off. There are several players in his league in the RSL right now: Morozov, Zinoviev, Mozyakin, Korolyuk, Sushinsky, Koshechkin, Sokolov and Scott, but none of them gets 1/10- of Malkin's press. The fact that he is playing on the best Euro team, having the teammates that he does also helps. I mean, he is a great player, but not "the best". How can you assign that title to Malkin who is having his first stellar season, with Sushinsky, Vlasak, Peltonen active? These guys were perenial 1.+ PPG earners and MVPs, and play-off MVPs. Overall, Su is just the best RSL player of the last 5 years...
Well, every country needs to feel good for having an amzing player in its pocket and therefore often hype a player to the point of pushing away its own fans. We have Crosby and I guess you have Malkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad