Malkin and Ovechkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Habsaku said:
Kovalchuk didnt need any supporting cast to become a dominant offensive force at 20 and he doesnt have half of Ovechkins professionalism or maturity.
So, Kovalchuk has what, 42% of Ovechkin's professionalism?

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Absolut said:
So, Kovalchuk has what, 42% of Ovechkin's professionalism?

It's 35% now. Ovechkin raised his professionalism for the last week by using "professionalism booster candies".

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
malcb33 said:
Has anyone heard anything about Malkin coming to the show? After seen AO play, I would love to see Malkin!

The Malkin show will be opening next year. Everyone from Malkin to his agent to the Pens to the GM of his Russian team have said as much. Actually in some ways this helps the Pens as they will definately hold his rights for one more year in his prime than they would have otherwise. And they will not have to deal with the headache of Crosby and Malkin beoming UFA's the same year.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Claypool said:
A lot of people have been saying Malkin will be better even before both of them were drafted.

There were few people suggesting that Malkin can end up better but mostly the consensus was that Ovechkin at that moment was better and should go 1st in the draft.

nuck said:
If Crosby blossoms as predicted, into a first team allstar center, I am not sure what that means for Malkin. He is listed as a center but I would imagine he will be converted to a winger so as to get him on the ice with Crosby as much as possible in which case his prospects for scoring would have to be a lot better than Ovechkin's.

Malkin is a natural center and I don't see the reason to convert him. On PP Crosby and Malkin will get plenty time together.

bryan579 said:
They both played on the same team, albeit probably with different linemates but ovechkin did outscore malkin with more goals than total points for Malkin

Most of the time they played on the same line: Ovechkin - Malkin - Afinogenov/Fedorov (Fedor played 1 or 2 games).

Oz said:
Everytime I see Malkin, he reminds me of Fedorov. A skinney, somewhat gawky Fedorov, but Feds nonetheless.

CSKA said:
Its veryyyyyyyyyyyy close one ! I think Malkin has more tools , sure Ovy is the better skater,finisher and hitter but Evgeni is just the full package ! BIG,fast,can play physical game(taking hits) , very soft hands , SICK passing ability and GREAT vision.

Pretty much agree with these 2 posts.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
CSKA said:
Its veryyyyyyyyyyyy close one ! I think Malkin has more tools , sure Ovy is the better skater,finisher and hitter but Evgeni is just the full package ! BIG,fast,can play physical game(taking hits) , very soft hands , SICK passing ability and GREAT vision.
And I disagree. Is Malkin as fast as Ovechkin ? No. Is Malkin as physical ? No. Is Malkin as great shooter ? No. Is Malkin as clutch ? No. Is Malkin as good stickhandler ? No.
Malkin is better playmaker, has better vision and that's all. Imo.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
I like both of these guys,but I can't see where people say Malkin will be twice the player Ovechkin is. Ovechkin has been impressive everytime I see this kid. Great stick handling, hitting, skating. The thing that impresses me most everytime I've seen him play is desire to play. Always hustling and playing hard. I'll take that any day.

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I love threads like this.

It seems that so many say a prospect is better because he can score goals. Then when a player makes the NHL his game is crapped all over when all he does is score goals.

Bottom line is it doesnt matter who is better. Each will be better at certain things. All that matter is the number of great player entering the league right now. There is an unbelievable number of stars in the making right now.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
b-mad said:
Just remember, with Malkin still being so "raw" (as many have put it) he has just as much a chance of becoming the next Viktor Kozlov as he does the next Jean Beliveau.

I really like Malkin and was praying the Caps would get him before they won the lottery, but he's a bit of a risky prospect. With that tall lanky frame and playing a quite different game in the RSL it's gonna be a bit of a gamble how he'll pan out....much more so than AO or Crosby.
I agreed with that notion on draft day, but since then Malkin's development has been exponential and that "gamble" is becoming less and less.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Kaizer said:
And I disagree. Is Malkin as fast as Ovechkin ? No. Is Malkin as physical ? No. Is Malkin as great shooter ? No. Is Malkin as clutch ? No. Is Malkin as good stickhandler ? No.
Malkin is better playmaker, has better vision and that's all. Imo.

With the sentence about that Malkin has more tools I probably not agree too but the rest description looks to me pretty accurate. Above you have just described Ovechkin's tools and they look better for sure (except clutching because I have yet to see who is better in it). Malkin is center and it lays special responsibilities (defensive ones) and potentially it looks to me that with his tools he can be capable to execute them (responsibilities) with Fedorov's effectivness. What are those tools? Skating is one of them. He is not faster skater than Ovechkin for sure (start speed particularly) but still looks very fast and effortless on his 6'4 frame and can be everywhere on the ice pretty fast. He is not as good hitter but phisical game is not a puzzle for him and he is always in action to dig up the puck along boards. He always will be a headache for his opponents no matter how physical they are.

Stickhandling and shot it is where Malkin looks raw. Like, you know that he can but not consistenly. I can remember moments where he scored very nice goals from his shots but at the same time I can remember many blunders on a very good opportunities. Ovechkin is better here with a faster release. Stickhandling, Malkin doesn't use it that often but at times tease you.

Playmaking it is where I think Malkin comes on top (position of center helps here and so we can see his playmaking abilities more often, it would be interesting to me to watch a bit Ovechkin is center). He has this playmaking mentality and likes to control the game by having puck on his stick (in combination with fast skating, long reach and decisions he makes he looks impressive). Ovechkin is a good passer (and maybe even better in passing technique) and can make very very good passes but overall his mentality looks to me more forced to the net (not surprising because he is a winger). I want him don't shy to control the puck and the game more often particularly on power plays.

It is almost like comparing Bure and Fedorov (though I don't think both of them as good scorers (Ovechkin not as good as Bure and Malkin not as good as Fedorov), but Ovechkin looks more rounded than Bure and Malkin I think is better in playmaking than Fedorov).

On the ice they would be perfect linemates complementing each other ideally.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Ovechkin's aim is to put the puck on the net most of the time.

Malkin kind of look to create if he can, and then shoot if he's pretty much out of options.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Chimaera said:
Ovechkin's aim is to put the puck on the net most of the time.

Malkin kind of look to create if he can, and then shoot if he's pretty much out of options.

Yes, but if Malkin can learn to look for the shot as much as he looks for the pass --not that difficult a challenge -- he could be very scary.

Transported Upstater

CSKA said:
Its a joke right ?

1.Kovalchuk

2.Malkin,Ovechkin

CSKA you beat me to it...

Right now:

Kovalchuk

Ovechkin
Malkin

Status
Not open for further replies.