Malkin a no go for WJC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowFax

Mar 10, 2004
Dont know if anyone else posted this, but Bob Mckenzie said on TSN that Malkin will probably not be playing because of his team and because of the Russian Hockey Federation wanting to rest him for the Olympics.

Transported Upstater

ShadowFax said:
Dont know if anyone else posted this, but Bob Mckenzie said on TSN that Malkin will probably not be playing because of his team and because of the Russian Hockey Federation wanting to rest him for the Olympics.

He's too good for that tournament anyways at this point.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
It's too bad that the WJHC is not a tournament of the best junior-aged players in the world, but rather, a tournament of the best junior-aged players in the world not good enough to be playing in the NHL (or other professional leagues). It then becomes less about which country has the best hockey development program, and more about which country happens to have a some good players who are not quite ready for the pros.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
McGuillicuddy said:
It's too bad that the WJHC is not a tournament of the best junior-aged players in the world, but rather, a tournament of the best junior-aged players in the world not good enough to be playing in the NHL (or other professional leagues). It then becomes less about which country has the best hockey development program, and more about which country happens to have a some good players who are not quite ready for the pros.

Good point, but I can name a lot of times that a "junior" aged player was released to play in the tournament.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
Legionnaire said:
Good point, but I can name a lot of times that a "junior" aged player was released to play in the tournament.

Yes, but almost never the elite players i.e. Malkin and Sidney Crosby this year, Rick Nash in the 2004 tournament, etc.

Transported Upstater

Legionnaire said:
You mean just like he was too good to compete for the Calder this year?

I'm just saying he wouldn't have much to gain by playing in that tournament. He's playing against excellent players right now, and will be playing against the world's best in Torino.

He's also already played that tournament (the U-20's) several times, if I'm not mistaken.

Crosby and Ovechkin are both better than that tournament has to offer right now, and Malkin isn't that far behind Ovechkin in my opinion.

(Ovechkin, however, isn't eligible anyways.)

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I think it was Jacobv2 who made the point that Malkin could only disappoint, as expectations from him would be nothing less than domination.

I see this as the right move. Let him save himself for the big dance.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
McGuillicuddy said:

No point worrying about that, just enjoy it cause its still amazing hockey.

Transported Upstater

tom_servo said:
I think it was Jacobv2 who made the point that Malkin could only disappoint, as expectations from him would be nothing less than domination.

I see this as the right move. Let him save himself for the big dance.

Exactly.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
ShadowFax said:

is that news? I heard that 2 months ago

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
MentalPowerHouse said:
No point worrying about that, just enjoy it cause its still amazing hockey.

That is true. I usually enjoy the WJHC more than any other hockey played all year. :thumbu:

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
If he were to play in all tournaments, including his own clubs games and potential playoff games, he'd apparently play something well in excess of 100 games. Thats something to consider as well.

The Olympics are the big one. The plan was not to play in this tournament all along.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I don't know if he's a lock for the olympics just yet. Depending on who's injured or declines an invite, Malkin might be the 5th center behind Fedorov, Datsyuk, Yashin and Zhamnov.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Zine said:
I don't know if he's a lock for the olympics just yet. Depending on who's injured or declines an invite, Malkin might be the 5th center behind Fedorov, Datsyuk, Yashin and Zhamnov.
Malkin will be on the team.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Zine said:

he's a lock for the Olympics

joe_shannon_1983*

ShadowFax said:

Malkin in the Olympics? Isn't it a bit too soon to be putting Malkin in the Olympics?

Is he good enough as of right now? Is he developed enough?

Transported Upstater

ferns8916 said:
Malkin in the Olympics? Isn't it a bit too soon to be putting Malkin in the Olympics?

Both Malkin and Ovechkin have played for Team Russia in the WC's and World Cup, if I'm not mistaken.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Zine said:

Team Russia can easily convert a guy like Datsyuk or Zhamnov to the wing. Malkin is one of Russia's best players, he will play.

Malkin is, by the way, playing and playing excellent hockey. Zhamnov has been injured and has been held pointless in the two games he has played. He isn't as good as he used to be whereas Malkin has 22 points in 22 games and is a bona fide star in the RSL. Ovechkin only had 27 points in 37 games last season. If it came down to Zhamnov and Malkin, Malkin would easily make the team over Zhamnov.

Even if Zhamnov is slightly better, Russia will elect to go with Malkin, since he is only 19. Zhamnov basically offers Team Russia an one shot deal. A 19 year old Malkin however, gives Team Russia an opportunity to rebuild for the 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022 and possibly the 2026 Olympics.

Malkin is a lock no matter which way you slice it.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
TransportedUpstater said:
Both Malkin and Ovechkin have played for Team Russia in the WC's and World Cup, if I'm not mistaken.
Malkin didn't take part in the WC2004, but he's just as mature and ready as Ovechkin for the Olympics.

Transported Upstater

roshiajin said:
Malkin didn't take part in the WC2004, but he's just as mature and ready as Ovechkin for the Olympics.

I was mostly right then. :p: :D

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
ferns8916 said:

Just wait and see! ;) People here underrate Malkin a lot!

Ohhhh, I just can't wait to see him at the Olympics!!! I expect nothing less than dominance from AO-EM line!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Someone should tell the coach for Team Russia that Malkin won't play, cause I just read an interview where he said he was hoping to get Malkin and Voloshenko for next month's wjc's. The interview was after Russia's win of the 4 Nations tournament this past weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad