Confirmed with Link: Maksimov Signed to 3-Year ELC

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Him half a good draft record for over half the time as GM is actually really good compared to GMs around the league.
he hired gretzky in 2013, Chiarelli's draft record was awful from 07-13. and was good for a couple drafts before he got canned. i'd say its a little worse than half his tenure haha. Feel free to actually look some of this up btw.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
he hired gretzky in 2013, Chiarelli's draft record was awful from 07-13. and was good for a couple drafts before he got canned. i'd say its a little worse than half his tenure haha. Feel free to actually look some of this up btw.
Chill out ;)

Love how so many, including yourself are trying to turn a thread about 5th round pick who is greatly exceeding his peers into a Chia bash party. Not like there's 10 other threads on the top page. You're not even criticizing him for his work here but rather his work almost 10 years ago...

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
We shouldn't get too excited, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't get excited at all though.

Rieder is the only other OHLer drafted by the Oilers that has been over a point-per-game as an 18 year old since the days of Schremp.

It's easy to write him off as another Platzer or Martindale, but Maximov has far better numbers at the same age.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
We shouldn't get too excited, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't get excited at all though.

Rieder is the only other OHLer drafted by the Oilers that has been over a point-per-game as an 18 year old since the days of Schremp.

It's easy to write him off as another Platzer or Martindale, but Maximov has far better numbers at the same age.

Sorry, can't help but be a wee bit skeptical. Had the football pulled out from in front of me way too many times.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Interesting prospect. Hope he turns out. We need some of these guys to pan out if cup ever even remotely enters the conversation again.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Those are "as expected" draft +1 numbers from Maksimov. Nothing more. Don't get carried away.

Greg Chase had the same numbers draft +1

Maksimov played far better down the stretch last year than his numbers might suggest. He was a real key player in the playoffs for the short time Niagara stuck around.

He is also very young for his draft class.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

I've always wondered how Platzer and Martindale would turn out if they did 2 extra years in juniors, skip the AHL and came straight to the Oilers. In my eyes those two were good prospects thet regressed after getting a taste of the Oilers AHL team.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
As long as he becomes the winger that Yak never was, carries us on his back to the playoffs in Hall's absence, and makes up for Lucic, I'll be fine with this signing.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
What does he need to work on to make the NHL?

I don't mean this is in a bad way, but everything. He has the tools. Its up to him if he has the will to develop those tools to NHL standards.

There isn't anything about him that makes me think "That will never translate to the NHL" like skating or vision. But there also isn't anything about him that I would call NHL ready.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't mean this is in a bad way, but everything. He has the tools. Its up to him if he has the will to develop those tools to NHL standards.

There isn't anything about him that makes me think "That will never translate to the NHL" like skating or vision. But there also isn't anything about him that I would call NHL ready.
So basically just continuous hard work and growth is all he needs? Thats a pretty good sign imo.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Chill out ;)

Love how so many, including yourself are trying to turn a thread about 5th round pick who is greatly exceeding his peers into a Chia bash party. Not like there's 10 other threads on the top page. You're not even criticizing him for his work here but rather his work almost 10 years ago...
its really funny because i'm still a fan of chiarelli. but i'm a realist, you are not. fact is, chiarelli sucks at drafting. thats all it means. thats all i'm saying.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
its really funny because i'm still a fan of chiarelli. but i'm a realist, you are not. fact is, chiarelli sucks at drafting. thats all it means. thats all i'm saying.
Chia is not a good drafter. Gretzky is a great guy in charge of scouting and drafting.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't think Chia is that bad at the drafting part. It's the trading part that scares the crap out of me. Keep him away from the phones please.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

You're a fan of Chia and you're laughing at me while claiming to be a realist? a realist could see that he isn't a good GM. Average drafter, terrible trader and over pays when signing players. But you keep on being a fan of his.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don't think Chia is that bad at the drafting part. It's the trading part that scares the crap out of me. Keep him away from the phones please.

Compared to his peers he isn't that bad. So many people expect NHL regulars to be drafted at every pick. A realist can easily see that just isn't the case... for any GM, in any sport. Fact is that his picks as GM of the Oilers are pretty solid looking, but still unproven for the most part above the junior level.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Compared to his peers he isn't that bad. So many people expect NHL regulars to be drafted at every pick. A realist can easily see that just isn't the case... for any GM, in any sport. Fact is that his picks as GM of the Oilers are pretty solid looking, but still unproven for the most part above the junior level.
If you look at his drafting in Boston before he hired Keith Gretzky...it was really bad.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It's always a bit weird to me how fans will focus on the GM when it comes to drafting, as if he's the singular person that goes out to scout these 17 year old kids and it's his input alone that decides who gets drafted.

The fact is, for the most part the GM simply doesn't have the time to run around all over the globe to personally eyeball this prospect or that prospect, that's why he has a head scout who supervises a flotilla of scouts that do the actual legwork.

I mean yes, ultimately it's the GM who has final say in things as it's his butt going to the podium on the stage to announce who they're "so proud" to select, but that final say is, for the most part, based on the input he's received from a bunch of other guys who actually do the scouting. This is especially true for any players selected past the 1st round.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
If you look at his drafting in Boston before he hired Keith Gretzky...it was really bad.
Looks like he's a GM who relies on his head scouts then. I don't really care what Boston's draft record was that many years ago. It's totally irrelevant when discussing the current Oilers scouting and drafting as well as this signing of Maxsimov. If posters like Robby want to cry about his drafting with Boston years and years ago then there are a dozen #firechia threads to cry about that in.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It's always a bit weird to me how fans will focus on the GM when it comes to drafting, as if he's the singular person that goes out to scout these 17 year old kids and it's his input alone that decides who gets drafted.

The fact is, for the most part the GM simply doesn't have the time to run around all over the globe to personally eyeball this prospect or that prospect, that's why he has a head scout who supervises a flotilla of scouts that do the actual legwork.

I mean yes, ultimately it's the GM who has final say in things as it's his butt going to the podium on the stage to announce who they're "so proud" to select, but that final say is, for the most part, based on the input he's received from a bunch of other guys who actually do the scouting. This is especially true for any players selected past the 1st round.

Smart fans are realists and get what you're saying above. Who cares who Boston had as scouts many years ago. There's also a reason why a lot of GMs let their head scouts announce the picks, hell a lot of GMs don't know enough about some picks to pronounce their name correctly

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
You're a fan of Chia and you're laughing at me while claiming to be a realist? a realist could see that he isn't a good GM. Average drafter, terrible trader and over pays when signing players. But you keep on being a fan of his.
but he knows how to build a team and that is the most important aspect of being a GM

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Smart fans are realists and get what you're saying above. Who cares who Boston had as scouts many years ago. There's also a reason why a lot of GMs let their head scouts announce the picks, hell a lot of GMs don't know enough about some picks to pronounce their name correctly
I dont know if you know this but the GM tells scouts what they are to look for when they're scouting. Just look at the things he said when he first came to edmonton

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Looks like he's a GM who relies on his head scouts then. I don't really care what Boston's draft record was that many years ago. It's totally irrelevant when discussing the current Oilers scouting and drafting as well as this signing of Maxsimov. If posters like Robby want to cry about his drafting with Boston years and years ago then there are a dozen #firechia threads to cry about that in.
I dont think we should fire chiarelli. honestly, i cant even see what you're arguing for right now. you're sitting on a fence with no clear point. I think you should go back into the thread and actually look at what you are trying to argue, and then come back with a clear focus. please.
I'm being critical of chiarelli's drafting because he has shown in his GM history that he isn't very good. likewise, his trading history, isn't very good. He has shown in the past that he can assemble a competitive team, a cup winning team. I think the players let chia down this year. Its his fault he didn't add some insurance into the lineup against some slumping young players but I give him the benefit of the doubt. Its up to him next year to assemble a competitive team and i think he is more than capable of doing so. I legitimately have absolutely no idea what you are arguing for for i'm going to give you my full stance on the situation in hopes that you can re-focus your efforts

Reactions: CycloneSweep

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I dont think we should fire chiarelli. honestly, i cant even see what you're arguing for right now. you're sitting on a fence with no clear point. I think you should go back into the thread and actually look at what you are trying to argue, and then come back with a clear focus. please.
I'm being critical of chiarelli's drafting because he has shown in his GM history that he isn't very good. likewise, his trading history, isn't very good. He has shown in the past that he can assemble a competitive team, a cup winning team. I think the players let chia down this year. Its his fault he didn't add some insurance into the lineup against some slumping young players but I give him the benefit of the doubt. Its up to him next year to assemble a competitive team and i think he is more than capable of doing so. I legitimately have absolutely no idea what you are arguing for for i'm going to give you my full stance on the situation in hopes that you can re-focus your efforts

Chill bro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad