bonefizzle said:
haha alright fine here is mine
lou dickenson
matt habbauer
mark wires
dominic periard
drew kivell
eric sonnenburg
Replace Periard with Demone and you have my list as I'm pretty certain he'll make it.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
IMO...

Lou Dickenson
Daniel Jacob
James Demone
Dominic Periard
Drew Kivell
Matt Hubbauer

Last edited:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
HiggsFan said:
IMO...

Lou Dickenson
Daniel Jacob
James Demone
Dominic Periard
Drew Kivell

Need six dude.

If would take the following:

Dickenson
Sonnenburg
Habbauer

Kivell
Jacob (size)

Mole

Anyone shocked that Brown didn't make it. I mean he had only one bad game and seemed to be almost an automatic... And Wires was also a shock. This guy didn't seem to do anything in the highlights... too bad we didn't get to watch the complete games.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Is Habbauer the one who left his CHL team because he discovered a brain tumor ?

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
All this money, effort and hype, and the best undiscovered prospect in Canada is... Sweet Lou Dickenson??

Ugh.

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
yes i was very surprised brown didnt make it.. he is also playing in the ahl this year... their are about 5 of them that were playing in the ahl at the beggining of the season

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
The way they decide how the draft order goes is by picking pucks. There will be six pucks turned over, and each team takes one. Each puck has a number, so that determines the order.

Dizzy

May 24, 2003
Windsor, ON
Visit site
I'm sure the guys playing in the minors can still be drafted, they're probably only playing on one year contracts, the tryout is for 2005 training camps.

The evaluators don't get a say in who the six are, right? They just picked their top 18 and then each team drafts one from the 18.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I guarantee a goaltender gets picked, goalies are usually the best late bloomers. Cunning was more impressive in the camp but Mole has a better resume. I think its a toss up between the two.

Dickenson and the others playing in the minors can still be drafted but since they are already signed i doubt they will be one of the players picked.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I could be mistaken, but I'm sure I read that the 6 players had already been picked and that the show is taped, not live. Apparantly it was done a few months back already but is just being played now. Which would explain why so many guys off the show are now in the minors. I also find it hard to believe that players would interrupt their season to go on this show. A few things to think about.

LeafsGirl

Mar 31, 2004
Toronto
Kritty said:
I could be mistaken, but I'm sure I read that the 6 players had already been picked and that the show is taped, not live. Apparantly it was done a few months back already but is just being played now. Which would explain why so many guys off the show are now in the minors. I also find it hard to believe that players would interrupt their season to go on this show. A few things to think about.
that makes sense....
but what about the 'live draft' tomorrow?
my friends are going to that...

Canadian

Mar 1, 2002
Markham, Ontario
Everything that you have seen from Episode 1-12 has be taped, Episode 13 (tomorrow) is live, which is why it is a two hour show tomorrow. The guys are all back together since Vernon. I think it's 19 guys, not 18 guys, I could be wrong, all I remember was that Keenan made an except and added an extra player. Here read this: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/shownews.jsp?content=h121321A

Reality show's 18 finalists await selection of six to get NHL tryouts​

TORONTO (CP) - Michael Mole isn't about to get picky at this stage of the game.

He's among the 18 Making The Cut finalists who'll be at the Hershey Centre in Mississauga, Ont., on Tuesday night, when six will be selected in the concluding live-to-air episode (TV 8 p.m. EST) to receive tryouts with Canada's NHL teams.

"I'm just looking for a chance," the five-foot-11 goaltender from Moncton, N.B., replied when asked if he has a preference. "Deep down inside, I've always been a Toronto Maple Leafs fan. "When I was two weeks old, my dad bought me a Leafs jersey. He was always a Leafs fan and I grew up watching the Leafs. Any goalie who played for Toronto was my favourite goalie. I had the wallpaper and the bedspread.

"Deep down, I'd like to go to the Leafs. But I don't have a preference. I'm just looking to get a second shot at the dream. Being involved in this is something I'll cherish for the rest of my life."

The 22-year-old goalie played in the OHL with Belleville and Mississauga, and last spring he helped St. Francis Xavier win the Canadian university title. He's in the crease for the X-Men this season, too.

"(Tuesday) will be an exciting day for everybody," Mole said during a break in a workout Monday, when the 18 finalists were reunited on ice for the first time since a camp in Vernon, B.C., when the show was taped last July. "Guys are getting nervous and excited.

"It's something that's sort of been building for the last four or five months."

They all signed confidentiality agreements so they couldn't tell even family members or good friends for months that they'd made the final 18.

"We kept it bottled up inside for so long," said Mole.

It wasn't until the most recent Tuesday night episode that viewers found out who was among the last 18.

Jonathan Robert, a six-foot-four defenceman from Montreal who is playing hockey while attending the University of Ottawa, grew up idolizing Canadiens stars.

"If it happens, to be selected by Montreal would be a great hockey dream for me," said the 22-year-old former QMJHL player. "It's bad that today the young kids around Montreal don't still have the dream to wear the Montreal Canadiens jersey.

"They prefer now to play in the south - places like Tampa. But the Canadiens have so much history behind them, to get a chance there . . ."

Florida Panthers GM Mike Keenan hopes the show will return for a second season, and suggests it be tried in other countries.

"It went beyond my expectations as far as the talent pool that was exposed," said Keenan. "It was a great concept."

Keenan and Jack Birch, the Panthers' director of hockey operations, had the difficult task of cutting players. Keenan was already famous, and now Birch is, too.

"The notoriety has been unbelievable," said Birch. "I was in a clothing store in San Antonio the other day and a guy came up to me and said, 'I'd like to shake your hand. I'm a big fan of the show.'

"Turns out he's from Toronto."

When Birch arrived Sunday night, police officers at Pearson International Airport were eager to shake hands when they recognized him.

"I was sitting in a rink in Brampton a few weeks ago with Duane Sutter, a guy who was in the NHL for something like 17 years," said Birch. "Kids came walking towards us and they went right over top of Duane to ask me for my autograph.

"That was a shock. This has been an amazing experience."

It has been a time to renew acquaintances.

"I felt like a little boy out there," Robert said after practice. "They took us to the Hershey Centre to see the place and they tell us it's going to be packed so it will be a great night.

"I'm sure I'll be nervous but it's going to be fun."

Jordan Little, 23, a six-foot-four defenceman from Winnipeg who plays university hockey for the Manitoba Bisons, had one of the hardest shots during the Vernon camp and hopes it'll land him one of the six tryouts.

"We picked up right where we left off," he said of the reunion. "We're having a lot of fun on the bus rides and hanging out at the hotel."

Jimmy Demone, a six-foot-six defenceman from St. Albert, Alta., who now plays for the Texas Wildcatters of the ECHL, was once drafted by the Ottawa Senators.

"If Ottawa picked me again, I'd be really happy," said the 22-year-old former WHL player. "If Edmonton picked me, I'd be happy.

"If anybody picked me, I'd be happy. Just give me a shot."

His boyhood buddy, Eric Sonnenberg, 22, of Wetaskiwin, Alta., and now a Wildcatters teammate, did not skate Monday. He has a right ankle injury but will lace 'em up to participate in the skills competitions.

"It's good to see the guys' faces again," he said as he stood along the boards.

Philippe Choiniere, 24, a six-foot-one right-winger from Dunham, Que., plays for a pro team in Sherbrooke.

"I know there are 18 really good players here," he said of his chances. "I'll just try to do my best, just focus on what I have to do. It'll be a matter of staying focused and having fun.

"There will be no shame to walk out of here not being selected. I made it this far and I'm very happy about that. I feel very lucky to be part of this."

Dominic Noel, 23, a six-foot-one centre from Lameque, N.B., is hopeful. The Dalhousie University player once had a 105-point season with the QMJHL team in Cape Breton.

"Whatever's been working, hopefully it'll work (Tuesday)," he said. "I've got nothing to pull out of my hat.

"You've got to go with what's been working over your career. I knew that, if I played up to my potential, I'd have a good shot at being in this group."

Brad Woods, 23, a six-foot-four defenceman from Cambridge, Ont., who plays at St. Thomas University in Fredericton, said all the finalists are convinced they'll get an honest look if offered an NHL tryout.

"If we didn't think that, none of us would be here," said Woods. "I'm sure the GMs have a good idea who they're going to take, so, we'll just have to wait and see."

Daniel Jacob, a six-foot-six defenceman from St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que., would do cartwheels if selected by the Canadiens. The McGill grad played junior hockey for four years for coach Claude Julien, now head coach in Montreal.

"I know him and he knows what I can do so it would be nice to be reunited with him," said Jacob.

Regardless, nobody is going to be dejected when they return to their real teams.

"I don't have any expectation so whatever happens happens," said Dominic Periard, 24, a six-foot defenceman from Ste-Eustache, Que., who plays for the Corpus Christi Rayz of the Central Hockey League. "All I know is that I'm having a blast with a great bunch of guys."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->