Make Ladd the 13th forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomerez

Mar 16, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
willie said:
I still believe Ladd can become a fine player in the NHL. But, right now, he is simply being outplayed by the rest of the forwards and should be relegated to the 13th forward slot.

Comparing him to the players involved is fair and I have no problem with that. However, a lot of it is bashing considering many are hating on Carolina for taking him at #4, he was pretty much a consensus 4th pick, someone was gonna take him there and I don't think it's fair to compare him to Picard considering Ladd is at WJC and Picard is not.

By the way, I am a Picard fan, I like him much better than Ladd. This isn't an argument of whether Picard is in fact a better prospect, but rather the validity of an argument that holds its basis on one player's performance in the WJC when the other player being compared isn't even participating.

tomerez

Mar 16, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Hercules Rockefeller said:
That was Brent Burns on the "Goof Troop" line. Stewart has always been with Richards and Dawes.

Oh yes, I was a little iffy with my memory there and wasn't even too sure Stewart was with them but I couldn't think of anyone else it could have been.

But ya now that my memory is jogged back a bit, Burns sure was the one with them, I take back my comment :)

In that case, I'd keep willie's lines

chicpea*

tomerez said:
Wow, all aboard the Ladd-hating bandwagon..

It's two exhibition games, I havn't seen him play often but two exhibition games shouldn't alter opinions on a guy that drastically

Well, in the two games I've seem him in this week he's been not just ineffective, but costly. His positioning has been poor, his passes have been off mark, he has had no finish and (most importantly) he's been losing every battle along the boards and in the corners. He's bigger than Dawes but Dawes keeps digging and wins. Ladd doesn't seem to.

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
chicpea said:
Well, in the two games I've seem him in this week he's been not just ineffective, but costly. His positioning has been poor, his passes have been off mark, he has had no finish and (most importantly) he's been losing every battle along the boards and in the corners. He's bigger than Dawes but Dawes keeps digging and wins. Ladd doesn't seem to.

So the battle he won to help set up carter's 2nd goal was what? He has been effective physically and solid defensively and is very strong on the cycle which is what that line will be money at in the tournament.

Blane Youngblood

Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
tomerez said:

It's two exhibition games, I havn't seen him play often but two exhibition games shouldn't alter opinions on a guy that drastically

Yeah, I've really been impressed by Ladd when I've seen him. I find that he always seems to win battles along the boards and is a good physical presence. He is also pretty sound positionally. I see him as a great lunch bucket guy who is willing to take a beating to finish a play and has the hands to do the job as well.

tomerez

Mar 16, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
jtuzzi21 said:
I still don't see how Ladd got taken over guys like Olesz, Tukonen, Montoya, etc.

I'll try to show you :)

Ladd was widely acknowledged as a top 5 pick..

Olesz was .. until he got violated by Dion Phaneuf and there were questions about injuries and him being soft.. which are ridiculous, I'd like to see anyone get up from that hit

Tukonen was .. his drop is pretty much impossible to explain but LA got quite lucky.. anyways, Ladd was taken over him because many felt Ladd's defensive game was stronger and Ladd showed versatility along with glimpses of power forward potential

Montoya was .. but a goalie is just not what Carolina was looking for I suppose, yes in the first round you should generally go with the rule of thumb of going with best available, but to many scouts, Ladd was just that

I don't think there's a problem with arguing that a guy shouldn't be playing for Canada because he isn't one of the top-12 guys to put out on the ice, however I do feel there is a problem with proclaiming him unfit to be chosen where he was, it hasn't even been a year yet guys.. take it easy

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
He did definitely look out of place during the game. I was very disapointed. He was running into Carter and Getzlaf more than being part of the play.

But there are some that say they sould put Perry on that line instead, I think put Colliton on that line and keep Perry with Bergeron and Crosby (he looked very good with them).

I don't know what was up with Ladd, having not seen his play during the camps and the first exhibition game, I thought most of the critiques of him were slightly biased (you know the 'easterners'). But now I see that they were right. I hope he pulls it together.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
Blows my mind how he went 4th overall.

The role he is playing with Team Canada is from Sutter and he is not on the Getzlaf and Carter line to score goals and dance around with the puck, but to crash some bodies and play good defence. Ladd can definitely score, 31 g's last year in the dub at 18, but he is playing a role like Burns did on that line last year/

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
tomerez said:

Yeah, he made Team Canada, he sucks!!!! :mad:

Where is Bernier, Pouliot, Brule, Stone, Fehr, etc.??? Oh yeah, I forgot, at home eating turkey lurkey!! :cheers:

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
tomerez said:
I'll try to show you :)

Ladd was widely acknowledged as a top 5 pick..

Olesz was .. until he got violated by Dion Phaneuf and there were questions about injuries and him being soft.. which are ridiculous, I'd like to see anyone get up from that hit

Tukonen was .. his drop is pretty much impossible to explain but LA got quite lucky.. anyways, Ladd was taken over him because many felt Ladd's defensive game was stronger and Ladd showed versatility along with glimpses of power forward potential

Montoya was .. but a goalie is just not what Carolina was looking for I suppose, yes in the first round you should generally go with the rule of thumb of going with best available, but to many scouts, Ladd was just that

I don't think there's a problem with arguing that a guy shouldn't be playing for Canada because he isn't one of the top-12 guys to put out on the ice, however I do feel there is a problem with proclaiming him unfit to be chosen where he was, it hasn't even been a year yet guys.. take it easy
Thanks for your opinion.
I disagree, but that you have provided some good information. Having seen Ladd a few times, I don't know A TON about him, but he seemed to only play well with Getzlaf really, and struggle without him. The reason everyone is dumping on him is, he is a great player, but many think that he is not a top 5 pick. So people have higher-expectations for him, then, say they would have for him if he was a mid 1st round pick.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
I don't see how you can not give Perry minutes right now. He lead the team in scoring in the two camp exhibition games, and has followed it up with 2 multi-point nights in the two team exhibition games.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
HabLover said:
The role he is playing with Team Canada is from Sutter and he is not on the Getzlaf and Carter line to score goals and dance around with the puck, but to crash some bodies and play good defence. Ladd can definitely score, 31 g's last year in the dub at 18, but he is playing a role like Burns did on that line last year/

Burns didn't play that role last year. Even with Carter on the line, Burns was the one leading the rush up the ice and into the offensive zone with that line. That line really didn't have a presence like that last year. All three are more of bigger guys who play finesse games. All three were expected to crash some bodies and play defense and to score goals.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
I know it seems like an "hate on Ladd" thread but really he has no buisness being on that team. Stone had a better camp than him and should have been there instead. I wonder if it was because he was the only true left winger out of the bunch that he was picked. I even wonder if Chipchura would have made this team...or even picard...

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
I always said the same thing about Andrew Ladd. He was the "flavour of the year". Yes, he had a great year (mainly because of Getzlaf), but this year even on a strong team and with an unbelievable center, he failed to produce points. 2 years ago, this kid was in Junior A and we can understand why. People got too high on him and if he makes the NHL, he will never be more than a 3rd line winger.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
HabLover said:

Are you kidding me? Burns played a very big role last year. I remember how he was the dominant physical force. Comparing him to Andrew Ladd is a shame.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Brock said:
Burns didn't play that role last year. Even with Carter on the line, Burns was the one leading the rush up the ice and into the offensive zone with that line. That line really didn't have a presence like that last year. All three are more of bigger guys who play finesse games. All three were expected to crash some bodies and play defense and to score goals.

Yeah, Burnsy absolutely lit it up last year at the WJC, what, ummmm....let's see....a bit fat 0 for goals scored!! I guess you were the only one expecting him to score goals last year. Burns has never scored even a decent amount at the junior or pro level, so if you were expecting him to score last year, you were so wrong! He was a big body, energy guy, crashing opponents whenever he had the chance. He may have led some rushes up the ice, but he definitely wasn't the one finishing them. All three guys last year used their big frames to hit the other team, but Carter and Getz were not as active as Burns, so don't even go there.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
HabLover said:
Yeah, Burnsy absolutely lit it up last year at the WJC, what, ummmm....let's see....a bit fat 0 for goals scored!! I guess you were the only one expecting him to score goals last year. Burns has never scored even a decent amount at the junior or pro level, so if you were expecting him to score last year, you were so wrong! He was a big body, energy guy, crashing opponents whenever he had the chance. He may have led some rushes up the ice, but he definitely wasn't the one finishing them. All three guys last year used their big frames to hit the other team, but Carter and Getz were not as active as Burns, so don't even go there.

You make it sound like Burns was Jordin Tootoo out there.

Crashing bodies isn't Burns game. He can be physical, but more or less when he needs to be, especially since his conversion to defense in Houston. And if you don't remember seing Burns leading the majority of rushes for that line, then you are severely forgetful, or maybe just blind. Why do you think he had so many assists last year? Because he was leading the rushes (with all three being excellent skaters), and Carter and Getzlaf finishing off those chances.

I tend to think that you have probably never seen Burns play other then the WJC's last year where he was snake bitten for a goal, but he still played well. The reason Burns' draft ranking went up so high in 2003 was because he was among the top scorers in the OHL's second half, so he clearly can score. He was also a force in the playoffs for Brampton.

So you didn't expect Burns to score last year? What type of moron doesn't expect a forward to score on a scoring line? Isn't that his primary job? to puck pucks in the net. Especially a player coming from the NHL. So is Andrew Ladd just on that line to hit people and stay off the score sheet? Let Carter and Getzlaf do all the offensive work and Ladd just hits people eh? Don't put the puck in the net. If Sutter wanted that he would have simply taken Zach Stortini or something, not someone like Ladd. If you are playing on a scoring line, you have to be expected to produce offensively. Obviously there are other sides to the game, physical and defensive awareness, but your main job as a line is to produce.

rival

Feb 15, 2004
Victoria
Fedz said:
Wrong. The kid has the skill to go places, as well as the size. Next year he'll be one of the best players on the team(excluding Crosby).

He's not eligible next year.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Seachd said:
Well, I think his fairly average season has a lot to do with it too. He just hasn't lived up to expectations, so far anyway.
whose expectations? he hasnt played a pro game yet. how does everyone judge a guy at 19, 20? everyone must be that age or younger, cuz i have a hard time seeing how a grown adult could look at ladd and say - he just isnt good enough. if edm had drafted him at either of their spots, or the leafs somehow traded up and took him in the teens - everyone would be calling him a steal and debating how good he'll be as a pro. i think basically because carolina took him, and they suck and everyone hates them, he inherits the general disdain for the team. as a cane fan, and a fan of hockey, i think he is perfectly fine for the canes. he is a solid prospect and imo a sure fire guy to at least make the top 6 on the canes. how can anyone complain about that? so what if he was fourth, everyone after the top 3 was a crapshoot. who cares if he never scores more than 20 a season. everything ive heard is that he can play strong, but isnt consistent (like every kid his age), has a decent scoring touch (he'll help the canes), and is a solid allaround player. not good enough for your team? got too many of those guys? fine, the canes sure as hell dont - the bashing is getting old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->