Make a team from the last 4 drafts

Randall Graves*

Build a team out of the last 4 NHL drafts, the kicker is here you can only choose TWO of the top five picks from each year, and only four total top 10 picks.

for instance, if you choose Crosby and Pitkanen those are the ONLY 2 top five picks you can take. After that you have 2 remaining guys you can select from the six through ten range IE: Phanuef and Brule.

Have at it.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
RallyKiller said:
Build a team out of the last 4 NHL drafts, the kicker is here you can only choose TWO of the top five picks from each year, and only four total top 10 picks.

for instance, if you choose Crosby and Pitkanen those are the ONLY 2 top five picks you can take. After that you have 2 remaining guys you can select from the six through ten range IE: Phanuef and Brule.

Have at it.

Alexander Ovechkin (04) - Sidney Crosby (05) - Alexander Radulov (04)
Alexander Semin (02) - Gilbert Brule (05) - Steve Bernier (03)
Patrice Bergeron (03) - Ryan Getzlaf (03) - Alex Steen (02)
Wojtek Wolski (04) - Jeff Carter (03) - Chris Higgins (02)
Jarret Stoll (02)

Dion Phaneuf (03) - Brent Seabrook (03)
Andrej Meszaros (04) - Steve Eminger (02)
Mark Staal (04) - Keith Ballard (02)

Cam Ward (02)
Hannu Toivonen (02)​

fredez

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Bolded = Top 5
Italic = Top 10

Alexander Ovechkin-Sidney Crosby-Alexander Radulov
Alexander Semin-Patrice Bergeron-Joffrey Lupul
Petr Prucha-Anze Kopitar-Steve Bernier
Chris Higgins-Mike Richards-Guillaume Latendresse

Dion Phaneuf-Andrej Meszaros
Marc Staal-Shea Weber
Keith Ballard-Paul Ranger

Hannu Toivonen
Cam Ward

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Ovechkin-Crosby-Bergfors
Wolski-Bergeron-Latendresse
Semin-Schremp-Radulov
Parise-Carter-Bernier

Phaneuf-Carle
Bourdon-Parent
Staal-Meszaros

Rask
Toivonen

Last edited:

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
RallyKiller said:

Have at it.

AWESOME idea. I have to say though, it's a lot harder than it looks. Here;s my list. Don't flame me TOO much. I was too lazy to sort all the way through the huge lists on hockeydb.com. ;)

The top 5 and top 10 picks are labeled. in parantheses.

Patrice Bergeron-Sidney Crosby(1)-Alex Ovechkin(1)
Patrick O'Sullivan-Jarrett Stoll-Alex Semin
Steve Bernier-Jeff Carter-Eric Fehr
Lauri Tukonen-Ryan Getzlaf-Alex Bourret

Extras: Alexander Radulov, Ryan Kesler

Phaneuf(9)-Meszaros
Ryan Suter(7)-Matt Carle
Ryan Parent-Marc Staal

Extra: Mark Stuart, Anton Babchuk

Cam Ward
Hannu Toivonen

Extra: Jimmy Howard

We've got plenty of scoring on lines one through three, plus some physical players with guys like Ovechkin and Bernier. The fourth like might be a little questionable, but I like the size physicality of Tukonen and Getzlaf, plus, as Pierre McGuire said about 234289034 time during the draft, Bourret is an absolute "buzzsaw" who I think would be great at getting under people's skin. I think the "fourth" line looks pretty good as far as size. Getlaf obviously needs to work on his D (but hey, they're all still kids. They ALL need to workon their D) to be on a checking line , but I obviously picked this team to be a high scoring one. Radulov is in there as an extra mainly because I think he has a huge upside and I picked Kesler (flame away :p: ) in case they need some extra defensive punch every now and then.

On defense, Phaneuf and Meszaros were the obvious choices. I really like Suter and Carle's upsides on both sides of the puck. Same with the second pair. For defenseman #6 I was torn between Parent and Lee, but I think Parent has a better upside and will wind up being more physical and better in his own end. Stuart wound up as an extra to give the d-corps a little more nastiness and I put Babchuk on there because, again, I like his upside, and I think he could come in handy using his size to clear the crease

In goal, Cam Ward's recent performance made him the obvious choice (as much as I wanted to pick the guy in my avatar ;) ), while Toivonen is there because he was really impressive at times this season and should Ward falter, he's definitely capable of stepping up (and maybe even stealing Ward's job). I picked Howard, because I've watched a lot of his games and he's going to be a REALLY good one.

Anyway, I'm sure I missed some really boneheaded, obvious picks, but what do you guys think so far?

Last edited:

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Ovechkin - Crosby - Zherdev
Nash - Staal - Perry
Wolski - Stoll - Brown
Semin - Boyd - Ryan

Pitkanen - Phaneuf
Seabrook - Meszaros
Ballard - Barker

Montoya
Pooge

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
clay said:
Ovechkin-Crosby-Bergfors
Wolski-Bergeron-Latendresse
Semin-Schremp-Radulov
Parise-Carter-Bernier

Phaneuf-Carle
Bourdon-Parent
Staal-Meszaros

Rask
Toivonen

I like your team a lot. I forgot about Latendresse. Rask over Ward, Harding and Howard? :eek: Wow. Bold statement about this guy's upside.

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada

Alexander Ovechkin (04) - Sidney Crosby (05) - Jeff Carter (03)
Alexander Radulov (04) - Anze Kopitar (05) - Robbie Schremp (04)
Patty O'Sullivan (03) - Ryan Getzlaf (03) - Patrice Bergeron (03)
Steve Bernier (03) - Alexander Steen (02) - Wojtek Wolski (04)

Dion Phaneuf (03) - Joni Pitkanen (02)
Brent Seabrook (03) - Andrej Meszaros (04)
Steve Eminger (02) - Shea Weber (03)

Hannu Toivonen (02)
Cam Ward (02)

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
CRUNK JUICE said:
I'm sort of surprised no one's picked Lehtonen yet. I guess it's easier to find quality goaltenders than it is to pass up on Crosby and Ovechkin.

Well for starters i believe that Toivonen will be a better goalie than Lehtonen will be in the future - his potential is sky high. And Ward can do a fine job at backup no need to waste a top 5 pick (Crosby Or Ovechkin) To get Lehtonen.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Ovechkin (1; 04) - Crosby (1; 05) - Perry (29; 03)
Semin (13; 02) - Bergeron (45; 03) - Radulov (15; 05)
Wolski (21; 04) - Kopitar (11; 05) - Bernier (16; 03)
McArdle (20; 05) - Getzlaf (19; 03) - Bourret (16; 05)

Phaneuf (9; 03) - Suter (7; 03)
Seabrook (14; 03) - Stuart (21; 03)
Weber (49; 03) - Staal (12; 05)

Ward (25; 02)
Toivonen (29; 02)

Pretty close to jtuzzi's list.

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
jtuzzi said:
Alexander Ovechkin (04) - Sidney Crosby (05) - Alexander Radulov (04)
Alexander Semin (02) - Gilbert Brule (05) - Steve Bernier (03)
Patrice Bergeron (03) - Ryan Getzlaf (03) - Alex Steen (02)
Wojtek Wolski (04) - Jeff Carter (03) - Chris Higgins (02)
Jarret Stoll (02)

Dion Phaneuf (03) - Brent Seabrook (03)
Andrej Meszaros (04) - Steve Eminger (02)
Mark Staal (04) - Keith Ballard (02)

Cam Ward (02)
Hannu Toivonen (02)​

Its Marc Staal, and hes a 2005 Pick? Yes? :sarcasm:

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
44_bertuzzi_44 said:
Well for starters i believe that Toivonen will be a better goalie than Lehtonen will be in the future - his potential is sky high. And Ward can do a fine job at backup no need to waste a top 5 pick (Crosby Or Ovechkin) To get Lehtonen.

That's kind of my thinking as well. It's looking like right now Ward and Toivonen are the cream of the young goaltending crop, at least over the last four drafts (although MAF looked AWFULLY good at times behind the woeful Pens defense), but why waste a top 5 or 10 pick when you get a spectacular goaltender much later than that and still have the chance to take Crosby AND Ovechkin (or Malkin ;) )

/homerism

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
As Of Right Now Id Rank The Top 5 Young Goaltenders From The 02-05 Class Like This

1. Toivonen
2. Lehtonen
3. Ward
4. MA Fluery
5. Harding

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
44_bertuzzi_44 said:
As Of Right Now Id Rank The Top 5 Young Goaltenders From The 02-05 Class Like This

1. Toivonen
2. Lehtonen
3. Ward
4. MA Fluery
5. Harding

Wow. I like Toivonen's game a lot, but I'm really not ready to rank him above Ward, Lehtonen, or Fleury. But, hey, everyone's got their own opinion and yours is just as valid as mine.

I'd currently, based on what they've shown in me in the NHL with overall potential (and, yes, some hype) mixed in, have it ranked like this:
1. Ward
2. Lehtonen
3. Fleury (go ahead, call me a homer, but he was just spectacular at times behind the absolute worst defense I've seen all year though)
4. Toivonen
5. Harding

That said, I think the difference between one through 4 is REALLY miniscule at this point, except that Fleury hasn't shown me much in big games just yet. :banghead:

I still have faith that he'll find his composure though. :)

edit: also, I misphrased something in my last post. I meant to say that Ward and Toivonen look like the cream of the crop as far as non-top 5/10 selections go. Sorry.

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
I find it incredibly funny how just 2 or 3 weeks ago not many people would even have Ward in their top 3 of these lists, now I see him going nr. 1. I'm not saying Ward doesn't deserve and shouldn't be top 3 on anyones list.. its just funny how fast a players stock can rise. 6 Games played and he rises like a kite.

That being said, what more has Lehtonen proved to be better than Toivonen?

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
44_bertuzzi_44 said:
I find it incredibly funny how just 2 or 3 weeks ago not many people would even have Ward in their top 3 of these lists, now I see him going nr. 1. I'm not saying Ward doesn't deserve and shouldn't be top 3 on anyones list.. its just funny how fast a players stock can rise. 6 Games played and he rises like a kite.

That being said, what more has Lehtonen proved to be better than Toivonen?

I agree. Ward was always someone I had rated REALLY high and I never understood why he didn't get the rep that some of the other top goaltending prospects get around here. But I'm also closet Canes' fan (grew up in Hartford), so I might hve been being a homer again there.

As for what Lehtonen's done to be ahead of Toivonen... well, he got drafted higher, played 4 great games, "last" season, played 7 or so great games this season, got hurt and fell back to earth? :confused:

Seriously though, I'm basing it off pure potential here, and from what I've seen, Lehtonen has just a little more. I really think if he can get over his groin woes, he'll be an absolute force. That said, Toivonen is already a force and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he wound up the best of the big 4 we have listed. Like I mentioned, I see the difference between their long term potential, health willing (and here's hoping none of them wind up like poor Dan Blackburn who definitely would've made this list if not for his accident), as being really, really, really small and at this point I really think it's a matter of preference. I'm just really glad one of them is on my favorite team and another is on my second favorite team.

Speaking of goalies, I'm guessing you're a Canucks' fan from your username. I was wondering if we could have a brief chat via PM about your goaltending situation for next year.

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
I agree with everything you said except for the fact i think Toivonen holds more raw potential than Lehtonen..

Re: Canucks Goalies ... Yeah Sure, hit me up!

Dave D

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
No love for Horton

How does Nathan Horton not make these teams...I'm sure its just an oversight on your part, but I would have thought this guy would be a top 6 forward on any of these teams, especially with his 20 plus goals on a bad Florida team this year.

Hawkster

It's on.
Aug 2, 2005
There are one or two out of position, and one or two really good players missing (due to the rules), but here's a quick effort..

(LW - C - RW)

Ovechkin (1/04) - Crosby (1/05) - Prucha (240/02)
Wolski (21/04) - Bergeron (45/03) - Michalek (6/03)
Semin (13/02) - Nilsson (15/03) - Bernier (16/03)
Fehr (18/03) - Richards (24/03) - Eaves (29/03)

Phaneuf (09/03) - Seabrook (14/03)
Meszaros (23/04) - Weber (49/03)
Ballard (11/02) - Staal (12/05)
Campoli (227/04)

Ward (25/02)
Toivenen (29/02)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad