Main Drive wheel?

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
I have a 2014 Jeep Patriot. I always get tires rotated, alignment, etc with every oil change. I noticed my front passenger tire was significantly more worn than the other three. I took it to the place I always go asking if they even rotated the tires the last two times or what. His reasoning was that that wheel must be the “main drive wheel”. I have never heard of that? It is front wheel drive so aren’t BOTH front wheels the “main drive wheels”? It just seemed like conplete bs to me. Any thoughts?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Power should be divided equally between the two front wheels. Maybe I'm way off on this one, but if one was getting significantly more power diverted to it I would think it would have a tendency to just sort of spin you in a big circle. Stupid question, but are you sure the worn tire is actually your tire? It sounds almost like someone swapped a tire with you.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
Power should be divided equally between the two front wheels. Maybe I'm way off on this one, but if one was getting significantly more power diverted to it I would think it would have a tendency to just sort of spin you in a big circle. Stupid question, but are you sure the worn tire is actually your tire? It sounds almost like someone swapped a tire with you.
100% sure. It has a dent on the wheel from a year ago and it is still there. I think they just haven’t been rotating them and I didn’t notice it soon enough.

Just uneasy about this place. The reason I took it back to them was the worn tire was not rotated and they didn’t take a nail out of another tire. So now i’m worried they never even do half of what they are supposed to.

Got my brakes done there a few months ago as well and they have always sounded bad randomly. They checked them and said they are fine. They did my fiancées and same response but that just doesn’t seem right.

Between the brake issues, tires, etc I’m starting to think that after 15 years of going there it’s time to find a new place...

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Read up on differentials my friend. Without going into too much detail, one tire does do the spinning. When the differential senses the tire spinning or "slipping" it will send power to the other wheel.

There are many different setups, and limited slip differentials and blah blah.

Google is your friend and find out what drive train you have

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I have a 2014 Jeep Patriot. I always get tires rotated, alignment, etc with every oil change. I noticed my front passenger tire was significantly more worn than the other three. I took it to the place I always go asking if they even rotated the tires the last two times or what. His reasoning was that that wheel must be the “main drive wheel”. I have never heard of that? It is front wheel drive so aren’t BOTH front wheels the “main drive wheels”? It just seemed like conplete bs to me. Any thoughts?
See above

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
As for an actual answer to your tire problem, if I had to take a super shot in the dark it's over inflated...and yes the main drive wheel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad