Prospect Info: Madison Bowey

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Hey guys,

I'm an outsider and wondering what Capitals fans think about Madison Bowey.

Do any of you get a chance to watch him?

How long do you think until he makes the Capitals?

What do you see him projecting as in a few years. #1 dman, #2, top 4?

Is he a very physical Defenseman?

Any information about this kid would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
He's a promising prospect, but he's behind quite a long list of players at RD - Niskanen, Carlson, Green (maybe gone after this season), maybe Orlov, Carrick, Oleksy, Wey, and Kundratek are all currently ahead of him. I expect him to pass at least Oleksy and Wey (who just can't seem to stay healthy) and probably Kundratek too.

He's currently in his last season in juniors so I expect him primarily to be in the AHL next year, unless neither of Green and Orlov are on the right side. I wouldn't doubt if he got his first NHL action next season, though, and maybe some AHL time at the end of Kelowna's season.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
He should be in the AHL next season and might get couple of games with the Caps if there are injuries.

Haven't seen much of him in WHL this season (apart from some highlights) so very excited to see him in WJC soon.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Unless he takes significant strides against higher levels of competition this season (which is entierly possible), he's going to need a couple years in the AHL. He's dominated the WHL, but in limited showings against higher levels of competitiion he's come up very flat. He's not ready to compete against men at this point. The WJHC will show if he can handle higher levels of junior competition.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Anyone paid any attention to Bowner? How has he been playing this season? Do you see him being on the team next year.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Anyone paid any attention to Bowner? How has he been playing this season? Do you see him being on the team next year.

He will not be ready next season. He has been dominate at his level and has struggled against stronger competition. Until this season at the WJC he looked good against the better competition. That was a nice step to see but he is still two years away as I see it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
While the possibility of Green walking opens up a potential RD spot next season, I would very surprised if Bowey is able to seize it. Even ignoring external options, there are numerous candidates internally already. Carrick and Oleksy (if re-signed) would be the favorites, but Wey and Kundratek (if re-signed) should not be counted out, either. I'd put Bowey's chances around the Wey/Kundratek level, perhaps even behind Wey.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
While the possibility of Green walking opens up a potential RD spot next season, I would very surprised if Bowey is able to seize it. Even ignoring external options, there are numerous candidates internally already. Carrick and Oleksy (if re-signed) would be the favorites, but Wey and Kundratek (if re-signed) should not be counted out, either. I'd put Bowey's chances around the Wey/Kundratek level, perhaps even behind Wey.

I see Orlov, assuming an eventual full recovery of course, as the number 1 option to replace Green at 3RD next season. Yes he is a left shot but he has always preferred the right side. The only reason he moved to the left the last couple years was Oates' ridiculous handedness mantra. IMO the logical 3rd pairing next season if Green walks is Schmidt-Orlov and I think that will be a very good pairing.

But yeah Bowey will need at least a season in Hershey before being in a position to contend for a spot in the Caps lineup IMO.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Just commented in your prospect thread on how good bowey is. Living in kelowna, I get to watch him a lot. Best dman in the league I've seen. Beautiful to watch.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Just commented in your prospect thread on how good bowey is. Living in kelowna, I get to watch him a lot. Best dman in the league I've seen. Beautiful to watch.

I think for most Caps fans the question about Bowey is how long will it take for him to get comfortable in the professional ranks? He has looked excellent in the WHL for a long time now IMO but every time he shows up for prospect or training camp he doesn't look anywhere close to the same player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad