• Matthews

Votes: 124 41.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Certainly the pot calling the kettle black ;)

MacK is playing on a level that McDavid & Kucherov aren't even besting. It's not homeristic to say that's a higher level than Matthews has delivered this year...though obviously Matthews should have even better years than this in the future and MacK may never play this well again; but that doesn't change what's been happening this season (which is what this poll is asking).

Some might argue there are none at all. Mac pretty easily at the moment

With Kucherov's form over the past year and McJesus being McJesus I can't agree with that; but I also won't argue too vehemently against it, because MacK's been just absolutely spectacular night after night.

kujo31

Aug 18, 2007
Obviously MacK has had a better season so far, so if we are strictly talking the past 40 games and only talking about offensive output then yes MacK has been better.
But the way people have been talking about Matthews is as if he has been a bum all year, he has missed 10 games is till a point a game and is top 10 in goals scored with a significant amount of less games played and thats no taking into account that Matthews is younger and has a better all around game to MacK.

If MacK loses a poll to Barkov (which he has) and I think most fans can agree that Matthews is better the Barkov then how can 40 games make MacK that much better?

I wouldn't trade Matthews for MacK and I do think it is close. But I'm a Leafs fan so my opinion probably wont mean anything.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If MacK loses a poll to Barkov (which he has) and I think most fans can agree that Matthews is better the Barkov then how can 40 games make MacK that much better?.

Barkov is a superior talent than Matthews as of today.
That being said, one guy's a few years older. Sasha's the closest thing to Kopi you have in the NHL.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Obviously MacK has had a better season so far, so if we are strictly talking the past 40 games and only talking about offensive output then yes MacK has been better.
But the way people have been talking about Matthews is as if he has been a bum all year, he has missed 10 games is till a point a game and is top 10 in goals scored with a significant amount of less games played and thats no taking into account that Matthews is younger and has a better all around game to MacK.

If MacK loses a poll to Barkov (which he has) and I think most fans can agree that Matthews is better the Barkov then how can 40 games make MacK that much better?

I wouldn't trade Matthews for MacK and I do think it is close. But I'm a Leafs fan so my opinion probably wont mean anything.

Matthews is the best even strength goal scorer in the NHL. He has a very good two way game already, and gets less ice time and powerplay time than nearly every other top star. The way others talk about him on here you wouldn't know that though, and no Barkov is not better than Matthews, and that poll is also an older one, Matthews beat MacKinnon in a poll by far just about 2 months ago.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Since Matthews injury MacKinnon has been better no doubt, but the level he was playing at before was truly dominant.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
At the beginning of the year I would have picked Matthews. But I have got to give MacKinnon a tonne of credit, he is starting to live up to his hype since he was drafted. He looks terrific this year.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
At the beginning of the year I would have picked Matthews. But I have got to give MacKinnon a tonne of credit, he is starting to live up to his hype since he was drafted. He looks terrific this year.

If anything he's surpassing the hype. He wasn't even a very hyped 1st overall pick.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If anything he's surpassing the hype. He wasn't even a very hyped 1st overall pick.

Maybe you were not as knowledgeable a draft follower then, but the 2013 draft was very hyped with 4 players that could have gone #1. But Mackinnon probably was the one player hyped the most.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Yeah he was. Seth Jones was as hyped as any dman has been this century and MacK was neck n neck with him for years. After he destroyed Seth in the Mem Cup the hype was just unreal; even with Barkov being viewed as a Kopi-clone. I wasn't the only one during his rookie season predicting that he could outscore even McDavid during his peak seasons (if McDavid doesn't have his peak seasons at the exact same time).

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Maybe you were not as knowledgeable a draft follower then, but the 2013 draft was very hyped with 4 players that could have gone #1. But Mackinnon probably was the one player hyped the most.

More like 2. Barkov and Drouin never had real consideration in going #1. Just because they got ranked #1 on like one scouting service doesnt mean they would have went #1.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

I meant compared to other 1st overalls. Nearly every draft they discuss the possibility of a few #1 choices, except Crosby or McDavid's draft. In Matthews draft even there were some who were saying Laine should go #1 and MacKinnon was not as hyped as Matthews, or Stamkos, or RNH for that matter. I remember his draft year quite well and he was not supposed to be an outstanding 1st pick, probably a big reason why there were apparently 4 others who could've gone 1st.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
My vote went to Matthews. Hes built like a moose and skates like a deer. Obviously a biased opinion here. Mac is an excellent player and i always thought he was under achieving (until this year). Just have to consider the slight age difference and the overall development curve leading up to this point. There isnt much that separates the two players.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
More like 2. Barkov and Drouin never had real consideration in going #1. Just because they got ranked #1 on like one scouting service doesnt mean they would have went #1.
Mackinnon and Jones were hyped, and then Drouin got a tonne of hype from the world's and then Memorial Cup play. Barkov was certainly also discussed as a 16 year old wunderkid playing with men and looking good. But Mackinnon certainly was the most talked about player even during the build up for the weaker 2012 draft. There were high expectations on him, and right now he is certainly living up to them. Which is great to see if you enjoy great young players like I do.

BigTruzz

Jul 19, 2011
Surrey
Matthews is the best even strength goal scorer in the NHL. He has a very good two way game already, and gets less ice time and powerplay time than nearly every other top star. The way others talk about him on here you wouldn't know that though, and no Barkov is not better than Matthews, and that poll is also an older one, Matthews beat MacKinnon in a poll by far just about 2 months ago.

Actually that's Brock Boeser.
Leading the NHL in even strength goals per 60.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
If the question is who's better RIGHT NOW, which is what the poll states, I vote MacKinnon. The season he's putting up is incredible. Mind you, I probably vote for Matthews long term, but it's really close.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Funny, considering the Avs almost took Barkov 1st overall as their internal debate were all about Barkov v MacKinnon

I meant compared to other 1st overalls. Nearly every draft they discuss the possibility of a few #1 choices, except Crosby or McDavid's draft. In Matthews draft even there were some who were saying Laine should go #1 and MacKinnon was not as hyped as Matthews, or Stamkos, or RNH for that matter. I remember his draft year quite well and he was not supposed to be an outstanding 1st pick, probably a big reason why there were apparently 4 others who could've gone 1st.

I call bull****, either your memory is failing you or you are lying.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I honestly just wish Hyman would stop playing with Matthews. The guy has 17 goals in 126 games since the beginning of last season playing nearly every one with Matthews and Nylander. Absolutely pathetic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->