Mackenzie's "Rankings" on his Bobcast (March 23 - 1 hour in)

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Given the lack of enthusiasm around Tkachuk, I guess that sounds like a good ranking for Detroit, if it's representative of league-wide opinion.

Though I can only guess at the anger if we won the 2nd pick and used it on Tkachuk.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So his list is different than yours.
I don't see how that's an LOL-er

I wasn't laughing at Bob or (the credibility of) his list. I just think it's funny that somehow Wahlstrom is still being underrated... It doesn't make sense to me

Last edited:

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Hey Frk it. I think he was mostly mentioning the top 6

And when he was discussin Boqvist and Hughes, he mentioned Bouchard and Dobson were going to challenge for those D men positions.

He didnt mention Wahlstrom, so its safe to say this list in "incomplete" i would probbly put wahlstrom in with those 4 D.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I will say this though. tkachuk is rising on McKenzie and Button's list. I have to imagine they are hearing from several scouts to support that (at least mckenzie is).

So I think us taking tkachuk at #2 is not that crazy a thought.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hey Frk it. I think he was mostly mentioning the top 6

And when he was discussin Boqvist and Hughes, he mentioned Bouchard and Dobson were going to challenge for those D men positions.

He didnt mention Wahlstrom, so its safe to say this list in "incomplete" i would probbly put wahlstrom in with those 4 D.

That makes more sense, thanks for adding that.

My main point there was he is very underrated in this draft. There's not much that separates him from Zadina, in my opinion. He is also considerably younger than both Zadina and Tkachuk.

Reactions: BinCookin

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I don't understand what scouts see in Tkachuk that they rate him so highly. He seems like the perfect combo for an overrated player; pedigree, physical play, grit, over-performing in big tournaments, etc. Quinn Hughes has a higher points per game than him and Hughes is a defenseman, so why take Tkachuk over Hughes?

Reactions: jkutswings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is basically an amalgamation of league wide opinion, that's what Bob does. Lol at the scouts.

I understand how his rankings work. This isn't his complete list, and I will bet you he ends up top 6 or 7 by the end of the year after the U18's.

Teams will regret it if they let him slide past that. Quote me on that if you want.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don't understand what scouts see in Tkachuk that they rate him so highly. He seems like the perfect combo for an overrated player; pedigree, physical play, grit, over-performing in big tournaments, etc. Quinn Hughes has a higher points per game than him and Hughes is a defenseman, so why take Tkachuk over Hughes?
Well Hughes is like half as big. Gotta think Tkachuk would step right in and Hughes might need time (don’t know how his defense is).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well Hughes is like half as big. Gotta think Tkachuk would step right in and Hughes might need time (don’t know how his defense is).

I don't think it's just that. Brady has good tools, and has some good upside if he puts it all together. Teams probably look at him like a bigger/faster version of his brother to some extent. Actually think he is kind of raw still and will/should play another year at BU.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

People said the same abuot his brother. Maybe over performing in big tournaments is more your opinion, and scouts see it as when he plays best on best against guys his age he is pretty dominant? If you wanna talk about point per game between a 5'9 dman and a 6'3 power forward I dunno what to tell you. I would rather a dman than Tkachuk, but not Hughes. He cant play defense and has had bad tournaments. There is also a safety factor as well, Tkachuk is going to play in the NHL regardless of if he hits his top potential. Hughes has some similar qualities to Ryan Murphy and its funny cause looking back, JT Miller was seen as the safe guy, tough player in that draft and Murphy the high end potential.. who would you rather have now? Theres more to it than points per game

I'm excited at the prospect of being able to choose between Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard, and Hughes at pick #5. Or 3 of those guys at #6.

Even if the wings fall as far as possible in the lottery, theyll still get a crack at one of those guys or someone else who fell. Perfect

Reactions: SirloinUB

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Custance had a piece on the athletic talking about the same group of 8. Regardless of whether Wahlstrom should be in that group I found the next tidbit particularly interesting:

Of those players, the two who probably don’t fit organizational needs the most are Andrei Svechnikov and Brady Tkachuk. The Red Wings like both players but the crucial need is on defense and it would be hard to pass on a potential top pair defenseman for another winger in the system. The one exception would be Filip Zadina. The organization is well aware they need a game-breaker to compete with the best teams in what’s becoming a one-goal league. Zadina is that guy. Depending on where they're picking, it might be really hard to pass him up.

I’m not sure if this is Custance’s opinion or if it came from Pronman or even the organization. Either way it's an interesting perspective.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
People said the same abuot his brother. Maybe over performing in big tournaments is more your opinion, and scouts see it as when he plays best on best against guys his age he is pretty dominant? If you wanna talk about point per game between a 5'9 dman and a 6'3 power forward I dunno what to tell you. I would rather a dman than Tkachuk, but not Hughes. He cant play defense and has had bad tournaments. There is also a safety factor as well, Tkachuk is going to play in the NHL regardless of if he hits his top potential. Hughes has some similar qualities to Ryan Murphy and its funny cause looking back, JT Miller was seen as the safe guy, tough player in that draft and Murphy the high end potential.. who would you rather have now? Theres more to it than points per game

Even if the wings fall as far as possible in the lottery, theyll still get a crack at one of those guys or someone else who fell. Perfect

2 Things

1) Hughes was not great at the WJC U20 a few months ago, but he has been great for USA in the past.

2) I think part of why Tkachuk looks better when he plays for team USA is because he gets to play with Mittelstadt, who is a better center than anyone he has at BU. I think Wahlstrom and Zadina are guys who have proven they can carry their lines a bit more, so I tend to prefer those guys. Any of them would probably be great alongside Larkin though, so we have that going for us at least.

Reactions: newfy

FrolundaRedWings

Feb 27, 2017
Custance had a piece on the athletic talking about the same group of 8. Regardless of whether Wahlstrom should be in that group I found the next tidbit particularly interesting:

I’m not sure if this is Custance’s opinion or if it came from Pronman or even the organization. Either way it's an interesting perspective.
Yeah that is interesting. It seems like Custance is implying that Zadina is considered a bigger "game-breaker" than Svechnikov. I don't know if I agree with that but then again, I'm not an NHL scout. Also I love the snippets from Custance's articles, I don't have a subscription to the Athletic so it's nice to read some of his thoughts every now and then.

Reactions: jkutswings

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
2 Things

1) Hughes was not great at the WJC U20 a few months ago, but he has been great for USA in the past.

2) I think part of why Tkachuk looks better when he plays for team USA is because he gets to play with Mittelstadt, who is a better center than anyone he has at BU. I think Wahlstrom and Zadina are guys who have proven they can carry their lines a bit more, so I tend to prefer those guys. Any of them would probably be great alongside Larkin though, so we have that going for us at least.

I didnt watch Hughes at the U18 so I cant comment but from what I understand hes always looked bad defensively at those best on best tourneys. The one where his draft stock is impacted most he was pretty subpar for a 5'9 dman competing against a lot of other dmen for a draft spot.

And ya I would say that probably plays a huge role in it as well. There is something to be said about being able to play with other players and play your role though too. Reminds me of Holmstrom and how he could stay on the right wing spot of the best team in the league, on the top line despite not looking all that great. But he could always fill his role and adapt to playing with skilled players. A lot of people said his brother was only good because of Marner and Dvorak as well.

I'm obviously not saying take another Holmstrom at 5, just that some guys are able to adjust better than others. If Tkachuk can adjust well and play with Larkin at a level he has with Middelstadt, he isnt a bad pick.

Reactions: SirloinUB

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Yeah that is interesting. It seems like Custance is implying that Zadina is considered a bigger "game-breaker" than Svechnikov. I don't know if I agree with that but then again, I'm not an NHL scout. Also I love the snippets from Custance's articles, I don't have a subscription to the Athletic so it's nice to read some of his thoughts every now and then.

Looking back it seems Pronman has Zadina at 2 in his midsession rankings as well. Called him "dynamic" "elite hands" "quick decision maker"

Interestingly enough Pronman's most recent mailbag article is titled, "Wahlstrom vs Tkachuk, Skill vs Intangibles and more on the 2018 draft"

But yea, I'd recommend the Athletic subscription if you can justify it. The Wings arcticles are worth it imo and everything else is gravy.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015

I agree points per game aren't everything, and Hughes is questionable defensively, but it does show that Tkachuk isn't really producing like a top 5 pick.
Guys have produced more in the NCAA as a forward and have gone way later. Luke Kunin comes to mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad