MA Fleury left off mckeen's top 30 prospect goalies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewSidFan

Aug 5, 2005
mckeen's listing of the top 30 prospect goalies has one glaring hole from how I see it -- no mention of MA Fleury in the list!

This is just mckeen's view, and is it a reasonable one to disregard Fleury already from a top goalie prospect list? I certainly don't think he has graduated from prospect to player just yet, or maybe I am wrong and he just didn't qualify as a prospect anymore for mckeens.

They do have a blurb on Fleury with the Pens player writeups, but even that is pessimistic. They point out that even though Fleury is always an optimist and happy-go-lucky guy no matter how bad a situation looks, "it looks bad" is how they conclude!

I just want to see what others think! I have always held a high regard for Fleury since his WJC heroics in Halifax, and look forward to him blossoming into a starter for the Pens, but maybe he hasn't progressed as expected (or expecations just way too high) in some people's eyes (like mckeens?).

Thanks for any input.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
yay, another one of these topics! hehe

I think in general, fleury hasn't progressed as well as most people would have hoped, but most people will still point out he has a lot of potential. it shouldn't be a surprise though to see other goalies surpass him in rankings though because other goalies are showing their talent and results...so far fleury isn't showing the results others are

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Levitate said:
it shouldn't be a surprise though to see other goalies surpass him in rankings though because other goalies are showing their talent and results...so far fleury isn't showing the results others are

Which 30 goalies are better prospects and are showing more of these results than Fleury?

He would have to have been deemed ineligible for prospect status.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
well guys like tuovinen for one (can't spell), cam ward might be another...they may not have the top end potential but they're getting results and progressing to NHL status

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
Levitate said:
well guys like tuovinen for one (can't spell), cam ward might be another...they may not have the top end potential but they're getting results and progressing to NHL status

Only 28 more to name. Keep going

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Levitate said:
.....two isn't thirty.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Either it was an oversight or he doesn't fit their criteria anymore. Even though he has had an overall so-so development so far with many more downs than ups, there's no way there are 30 goalie prospects who should be above Fleury right now.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
er, ok, i wasn't exactly agreeing with them that he shouldn't be in the top 30...i was just saying people shouldn't be surprised to see him slip in some rankings.

no i don't think he should be left off the top 30, but I think the case can be made that he's not the surefire #2 goalie prospect behind lehtonen anymore, and that others have made up ground on him

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
MrKnowNothing said:
Either it was an oversight or he doesn't fit their criteria anymore. Even though he has had an overall so-so development so far with many more downs than ups, there's no way there are 30 goalie prospects who should be above Fleury right now.
im thinking theres something in there on the criteria, because theres no way hes better even then my wings prospect james howard... id even admit that (not knowing if hes on the list so im taking a guess because howard is amazing)

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
zetterberg40 said:
im thinking theres something in there on the criteria, because theres no way hes better even then my wings prospect james howard... id even admit that (not knowing if hes on the list so im taking a guess because howard is amazing)
Howard? Better than Fleury? Geez..

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
clefty said:
Howard? Better than Fleury? Geez..

lemme know where i said he was better.. reread exactly what i said

by me saying hes not better then howard explains that he should be on the list, i think u misread what i wrote

the_gman83

Mar 27, 2002
Lethbridge
Visit site
zetterberg40 said:

And this, folks, is why punctuation is important on these boards. It should read "... because there's no way. He's better even than my Wings prospect James Howard..."

Then there would not be any misunderstanding.

Remember this the next time someone says "Who cares about punctuation, it's only a message board"

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not in the MA Fleury fan club, but he is one of the top 5 goaltending prospects out there.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
the_gman83 said:
And this, folks, is why punctuation is important on these boards. It should read "... because there's no way. He's better even than my Wings prospect James Howard..."

Remember this the next time someone says "Who cares about punctuation, it's only a message board"

I figured Leaf Lander was enough evidence on his own to back up that statement.

Sebastien Centomo

Feb 29, 2004
www.tmlfans.ca
MrKnowNothing said:

Page 143:

5 PROSPECT CRITERIA .. Players under 25 years of age as of 9/15/2005 who have appeared in less than 50 NHL games (30 for goalies) and less than 25 in any one season (15 for goalies) are considered prospects.

Fleury played in 21 games in 03/04, he's not a prospect according to McKeen's criteria.

Claypool_*

Honus Joglund said:
Fleury played in 21 games in 03/04, he's not a prospect according to McKeen's criteria.

so he played a handful of more games means he's no longer a prospect? :biglaugh: I feel sorry for the people actually pay for insider information from that site.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
the_gman83 said:

great story, tell it again at parties :shakehead

NewHabsEra*

Fleury is one of the most skilled goaltenders I seen.. He is deceptively quick, good size, very athletic, good reflex... The problem with this kid is between the ears... Not questionning his attitude but rather his maturity.. He looks like a teenager while a guy like Price talk to the media like a 25 old men... I dont know about his future but I would certainly not feel confortable with this kid in the net in important moments, or playoffs for example.

To me the next big one in net is clearly Lehtonen.

Last edited by a moderator:

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
go kim johnsson 514 said:
I'm not in the MA Fleury fan club, but he is one of the top 5 goaltending prospects out there.
Lehtonen, Ward, Toivonen, Lundqvist, Niitymaki, Miller, Harding, Finley, Danis, Auld etc. had from equal to much better last couple of seasons. To be a top 5 goaltender prospect you have to actually do something on the ice. How long is his draft position going to keep him afloat. I'd say this is a make or break season for him. If he falters again, he's off the radar. I'd take Lehtonen/Ward/Toivonen/Lundqvist over him right now in a second. When the NHL starts and we will get to see Antero and Ryan in the NHL, and MAF in the AHL, my list could only grow.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
freakazoid said:
Lehtonen, Ward, Toivonen, Lundqvist, Niitymaki, Miller, Harding, Finley, Danis, Auld etc. had from equal to much better last couple of seasons. To be a top 5 goaltender prospect you have to actually do something on the ice. How long is his draft position going to keep him afloat. I'd say this is a make or break season for him. If he falters again, he's off the radar. I'd take Lehtonen/Ward/Toivonen/Lundqvist over him right now in a second. When the NHL starts and we will get to see Antero and Ryan in the NHL, and MAF in the AHL, my list could only grow.
Let's see how many of these guys can put up a GAA under 2.00 and a SV% around .920 for their first month in the NHL with a D that will be much better than the D the Pens had at the time.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Let's see how many of these guys can put up a GAA under 2.00 and a SV% around .920 for their first month in the NHL with a D that will be much better than the D the Pens had at the time.

let's see fleury put up those numbers in the AHL :dunno:

doesn't matter if he did well for a month in the NHL if he can't repeat it, even at the AHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad