Series Discussion: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Someone needs to come across the blue line and take out Panarin as he tries his lateral ****. He does it multiple times a game.
Raise your hand Big Willy.
Gross.

1. I want to beat CBJ straight up, if we have to resort to gooney to get out of the first round we're not very good.

2. Can this fanbase stop talking out of both sides of its mouth? The whole schtick of people advocating for Wilson to goon it up and fight whilst simultaneously acting aghast when he gets reputation calls is getting pretty old.

3. Can we just make a general rule that we shouldn't advocate for "taking out" or hurting other players. I always cringe when I read other teams boards do it (ironically usually focused on hurting Wilson) and I've been pretty proud that this board stays above that generally.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Gross.

1. I want to beat CBJ straight up, if we have to resort to gooney to get out of the first round we're not very good.

2. Can this fanbase stop talking out of both sides of its mouth? The whole schtick of people advocating for Wilson to goon it up and fight whilst simultaneously acting aghast when he gets reputation calls is getting pretty old.

3. Can we just make a general rule that we shouldn't advocate for "taking out" or hurting other players. I always cringe when I read other teams boards do it (ironically usually focused on hurting Wilson) and I've been pretty proud that this board stays above that generally.

Uhhh...good old fashioned body checks are out of fashion now?

If Panarin puts himself in the trolly tracks, someone needs to nail him.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Gross.

Someone does need to hit Panarin to slow him down a bit but not to attempt to injure. You make it sound like we shouldn't hit him.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Anyone tally up how many OT minutes Ovi has played, and PPTOI while we are at it. I wonder why we have so many OT games. I have to think that our recent d-minded coaches are a factor. I will go ahead and say it. If we ever win a cup Ovi will score an OT goal that year.

Oh I am personally placing a hundred-dollar bounty on the head of Antort McFolaninson. He's the head coach and chief punk on that Columbacuse team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Portable Mink

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Does anyone remember that great stretch of games early in the year when we were making quick short passes with confidence and accuracy and it just broke teams down?
might have been last year.

But all of that goes away for us in the playoffs. We STILL play scared and cautious. Theres playing with confidence and then theres playing with confidence.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Regarding our current series vs others. When the 8 series started some fans were chirping how this one was among the least intense and "boring". Well we all know that was lame trolling, but so far take a look at the rest of these 'intense" and "exciting" series.

West:
Already a 4-0 sweep; Sharks 3-0 vs Ducks; Jets 3-1 vs Wild (anyone think Minny has much of a chance to come back); Preds 2-1 vs Avs is the only close series and is there much doubt which team will prevail in that one?! There have been close games but overall the WC series have been awful.

East:
Better than the West, but not by much. Bolts 3-1 vs NJD, 3 blowouts and one competitive game; Bs 2-1 vs TML, 2 blowouts and one competitive game; Pitt 3-1 vs Philly, four straight no doubt about it blowouts;
oh and the low intense :sarcasm: series Cbus 2-1 vs Caps, 3 straight OT games.

Aside from this series, the Bs-TML series has a reasonable chance to go 6-7 games. Maybe one or two others go 6 tops. Hope at least a few of these series become closer. We'll see.
For the NHL I hope the 4 second round series - at least on average - are better :popcorn:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Only the Caps routinely make trash teams look like gold. They are f***ing savants at allowing their opponents to dictate the style and pace of play.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Regarding our current series vs others. When the 8 series started some fans were chirping how this one was among the least intense and "boring". Well we all know that was lame trolling, but so far take a look at the rest of these 'intense" and "exciting" series.

West:
Already a 4-0 sweep; Sharks 3-0 vs Ducks; Jets 3-1 vs Wild (anyone think Minny has much of a chance to come back); Preds 2-1 vs Avs is the only close series and is there much doubt which team will prevail in that one?! There have been close games but overall the WC series have been awful.

East:
Better than the West, but not by much. Bolts 3-1 vs NJD, 3 blowouts and one competitive game; Bs 2-1 vs TML, 2 blowouts and one competitive game; Pitt 3-1 vs Philly, four straight no doubt about it blowouts;
oh and the low intense :sarcasm: series Cbus 2-1 vs Caps, 3 straight OT games.

Aside from this series, the Bs-TML series has a reasonable chance to go 6-7 games. Maybe one or two others go 6 tops. Hope at least a few of these series become closer. We'll see.
For the NHL I hope the 4 second round series - at least on average - are better :popcorn:

First round hasn’t been good but round 2 is looking amazing with likely the 8 best teams in the league remaining:

Jets v Preds
Knights v Sharks

Bruins v Bolts
Caps/Jackets v Pens

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I figured the breaking point of CBus was a Torts meltdown.

Hopefully it was that OT goal, and Mo swinging back our way.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's Bob. We've got to score goals in bunches on him.

Nah. Its the Caps winning the game. That would be enough. If I were to add to that, it would be another 2 goals against or less game by Holtby. If Holtby is again Holtby, the goaltending advantage CBJ hopes to have with Bob evaporates.

I would take a Caps 1-0 win tonight. Watch Bob stand on his head and still lose.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Bob aint an issue and never was. One of the worst active #1 goaltenders in the NHL when it comes to playoffs. This year is nothing special too, Caps dont put the pressure enough on him, don control the puck in o-zone and dont force him to make a real difficult saves. And even then hes allowed 10 in 3 games. Thats well below average by elite goalies' standards if you ask me. A massive amount of shots going from the outside right into the chest or glove which he doesnt even have to move much. Thats how increative the Caps play. As for solving Panarin (he's the real and only issue seriously) - I dont care about repercussion if the hit is made within the rules. If you dominating on the ice then be prepared that you'll become a target to stop. Be ready and prepare your body to take a hit if you cant avoid it. If you cant take hit without a serious damage to your health, then choose the different job. All for catching him on a massive check.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Anyone still not want to talk OT goals? OK lets talk Ovi. The center piece of our franchise. OK so Ovi has been shutout. Rough math. Say 6 years of 14 playoff games. We have OT games ~35% of the time, so that is 30 games with an OT. Let's say OTs average 20 minutes for simplicity, since many go to multiple OTs. Ovi has played in 10 full OT games, which amounts to about 250 minutes of personal TOI. Say we got 10 PPs in those 10 games.... not much of a chance there for Ovi to do his thing with PKers so aggressive on him, and extra so in the loffs. So what's the deal.

Dale Hunter was famous for scoring OT goals. Was he really just lucky? No one would ever bet Dale a pass first pest would have more OTs goal than Ovi, one of the best goal scorers of all time. But here we are. But but but other stars only have just 1 further supports my garbage can cup ambitions. But maybe "they" only have one because they regularly trounce their opponent in regulation.

Some folks wonder why Ovi doesn't up his game in the playoffs. In his prime Ovi was all about full effort shooting skating and hitting as hard as he can, all regular season long. There is really no where else to go from there. No playoff switch to flip. So what he may need to do, is put on his hard hat, and lower his head and steam roll the goalie like Knuble did before Ward scored, and as Dale made his living. And indeed this year, we have seen Ovi standing in front more than any other season ever. Maybe even, combined. So I am calling it. Ovi garbage OT winner tonight.

I want a study done, what % of playoff OT winners are garbage fluke (code for bottom 6) goals, and what is the variance of that from non OT play. Certainly, with the capitals leading the charge in OT games, we may be able to answer that question from our memories alone.

Feel free to ignore this I am clearly wound up for the game tonight and hate work. Any why the f*** do we have so many OT games? If this continues for another decade Caps fans may have shorter life spans. All fans, prematurely grey bald single and on anti-depressants. Or, self medicating via Dr Green :D

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Dale Hunter was famous for scoring OT goals because he wasn't Michel Goulet or Mike Gartner. OT goals are regularly as a matter of course scored by other than the star players. The opposition doesn't even want Ovechkin to touch the puck in OT. Let Backstrom have the space. Its why Backstrom and Wilson are the key to that group in OT.

Edit: Crosby has 1. Repeat ONE playoff OT goal. He scored it in the ECF last season.

Reactions: calicapsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad