Series Discussion: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
If you go by that sub 90 SV%, Henrik Lundqvist has 39 in his playoff career. In 128 games. Cory Crawford 25 in 87 games. Jonathan Quick 25 in 83 games. Carey Price 24 in 60 games. Tuukka Rask 17 in 55 games. Pekka Rinne 26 in 72 games. Sergei Bobrovsky 12 in 19 games. :laugh:

That feel when you screwed up the math the first time now you're not sure if it's right, I think this is how they'd break down in percent of sub .900 games.

Timmy T - 23.5%
Holts - 25.4%
Crawford - 28.7%
Quick - 30.1%
The King - 30.4%
Rask - 30.9%
Rinne - 36.1%
Price - 40%
Bob - 63.1%

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I would say that's great. Obviously it matters where you have those bad games.

If you go by that sub 90 SV%, Henrik Lundqvist has 39 in his playoff career. In 128 games. Cory Crawford 25 in 87 games. Jonathan Quick 25 in 83 games. Carey Price 24 in 60 games. Tuukka Rask 17 in 55 games. Pekka Rinne 26 in 72 games. Sergei Bobrovsky 12 in 19 games. :laugh:

Of course he has **** the bed the most against those 2 teams because they are constantly facing them. Either way checking those stats and going by game-on-game basis the Penguins are piercing every elite goalie one by one.

Another thing i noticed that very few goalies have long stretches of 90+ SV% in a row. For most guys it was just few games. The thing i noticed that Jonathan Quick during his insanely good Cup -run in '11-'12 had his first sub 90 game in the finals. It was Game 5 against the Devils and even in that game he had .895 and only allowed 2 goals there. That was his only one during those Playoffs.

Im not debating here, just providing real data when you start trying to pump up Holtby with bogus stat claims. Moving on, not my argument. Keep carrying that candle though brother! ;)

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
That feel when you screwed up the math the first time now you're not sure if it's right, I think this is how they'd break down in percent of sub .900 games.

Timmy T - 23.5%
Holts - 25.4%
Crawford - 28.7%
Quick - 30.1%
The King - 30.4%
Rask - 30.9%
Rinne - 36.1%
Price - 40%
Bob - 63.1%
Holtby doesnt look bad when comparing him to the rest.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Now Someone trot out some elimination game comparisons/stats to really shed some light. ;)

This ardent defense of Holtby isn’t needed. As I said before he’s beloved by most, but his game has slipped this year. No slight, no disrespect, just truth unfortunately. I for one hope he’s back up to Vezina standards when he gets his Next chance. When he doesn’t play his best game, they are likely to get eliminated. It is what it is.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The issue with Holtby is two-fold:
1. Despite his amazing playoff numbers, he has consistently failed to deliver the critical save and has given up deflating soft goals at key moments repeatedly.

2. This season he played so poorly down the stretch that he lost his starting job.

1 + 2 =

3. The skaters play scared in front of him.

For a team with so little confidence on the post-season anyway, that's the kiss of death.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Who else had bone head penalties. Bura clearly late in game 1 is up there. But as per usual, we only remember them when the PK fails, which is maybe part of Tom's issue.... we need him on the PK.

Barry is perplexed. Beagle scores and restores respectability to faceoffs, and then racks up a fat minus in OT.

Chaisson DSP and BCon could all be sat next game and I would be fine with it. Vrana Gersich and a 7th D and double shift Ovi or whoever.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Who else had bone head penalties. Bura clearly late in game 1 is up there. But as per usual, we only remember them when the PK fails, which is maybe part of Tom's issue.... we need him on the PK.

Barry is perplexed. Beagle scores and restores respectability to faceoffs, and then racks up a fat minus in OT.

Chaisson DSP and BCon could all be sat next game and I would be fine with it. Vrana Gersich and a 7th D and double shift Ovi or whoever.
One boneheaded penalty is bad. Two is inexcusable.

He had ok season offensively, but he is at best a 3rd line player. He misplayed the 3 on 1, and fanned on a wide open net in OT.

We are down 0-2 for a lot of reasons. Reasons 1 and 2 are Barry Trotz and Tom Wilson.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Things I'm annoyed by this playoffs

1) Caps losing in typical Caps fashion

2) Pens easy wins and matchup

3) Mcphee's team winning

4) Forsberg scoring clutch goals

It's like a giant middle finger for Caps fans

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Trade Ovi and Backstrom to a franchise that has a shot in hell at winning a Stanley’s Cup. This has to be beyond frustrating for them. Caps trade them and can accelerate a re-build/re-tool.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
My take away from last night, and the first 2 games, is Gruby isn’t up to the NHL playoffs challenge and, sadly, OV at this point in his career is a one trick, or scoring from one spot, pony.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Maybe it's just because I expect them to lose in the second round every year, but I am not that worried. Just like the 2 goal leads the Caps had in both games, the Caps need only win the next game to take control. Particularly after you can easily say CBJ got lucky to win g2. Start Holby and let play out. More Of like that please

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Oh and add Connolly to the list of passengers that doesn't add anything in the playoffs. No grit or defense and for a depth scorer has no offense. Can barely get a shot off or make a pass. He better be scratched next game.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Maybe it's just because I expect them to lose in the second round every year, but I am not that worried. Just like the 2 goal leads the Caps had in both games, the Caps need only win the next game to take control. Particularly after you can easily say CBJ got lucky to win g2. Start Holby and let play out. More Of like that please

I'm pretty much here as well. Not sure if it's apathy or misplaced confidence or a combination of both since every time it feels like we can't get any lower the Caps find a new way to rip our hearts out but I don't feel particularly upset. The Caps have been the better team -- goaltending aside -- and both locker rooms know that. The Caps now have the option of feeling sorry for themselves and bowing out in 4 or 5 or coming together, cleaning up a few things, and winning in 6 or 7. We shall see.

I do know that Chiasson and Connolly did absolutely nothing to help the cause yesterday. Get one/both of them out of the lineup.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Chaisson contributed in g1 though. Didn't he? I thought there was a series or 2 last year where the road team won the first 4 games. Win g3. Move on.

Ov was rolling. Backstrom was brilliant.

How many shot attempts from Of last night?

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
LOL no. He had a bad game. He's been great this year.
Ah, what standard are you using to call his play "great"? It's like the guy with an IQ of 77 who is getting C's in school and, yeah, you praise him for how great he is doing. It took a lot of effort. Trying to force feed him into a 1st line role when he is a 3rd or 4th liner through and through is the problem. Add in his stupid penalties and he's a net negative. Was him jumping into a fray a reputation call? Was he not aware of how poorly our PK had been doing? Has he intimidated opponents into fearing us and laying down like dogs for our victory?

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Ah, what standard are you using to call his play "great"? It's like the guy with an IQ of 77 who is getting C's in school and, yeah, you praise him for how great he is doing. It took a lot of effort. Trying to force feed him into a 1st line role when he is a 3rd or 4th liner through and through is the problem. Add in his stupid penalties and he's a net negative. Was him jumping into a fray a reputation call? Was he not aware of how poorly our PK had been doing? Has he intimidated opponents into fearing us and laying down like dogs for our victory?
Agree with everything you have said here.

You should be able to coach stupid out of a player. Either Trotz isn’t up to it, or Wilson is too dumb to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad