M-A Pouliot VS A. Kostitsyn VS O'Sullivan

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Sorry, i just really can't stand this guy. I wonder if LA even scouted this monkey before making the trade or did they just rely on the brillant scouting reports found on HF...

DL: Hey Al, the Wild want Demitra. We get to chose a prospect...who's it gonna be?
AM: Well let me see here Dean. Hockeysfuture lists that OSullivan guy as Minnesota's #1 prosepct.
DL: He must be good then?
AM: Wait a sec, he's a 8.0B!!!
DL: So what does that mean?
AM: I dunno, none of the posters there can figure it out either, but it sounds pretty good...dont ya think?
DL: Don't they have anyone scored with a 15A or something?
AM: I'm not sure, but we shouldn't get greedy.
DL: You're right. OSullivan it is then!

Give me a *** break :shakehead

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
ZOMG!!11!1! O'Sullivan has only scored 5 points in 20 games. He is a bust!!! :shakehead

Smaller players take longer to adapt to the size and speed of the NHL. You do not judge a player from watching 20 games. You have to be patient with prospects. Not every prospect will be like Kopitar or Stastny. It's all about potential right now since none of these prospects have really done much in the NHL yet. O'Sulllivan has put up better numbers and he has more potential than the other two guys. That is why people pick him.

I base NONE of my written opinions by the number of points he has. I remember when Ollie Jokinen first broke into the NHL. He didn't post great numbers, but you could see the potential in his game. On the same note, I remember when Donald MacLean broke into the NHL. He had a somewhat decent season point wise considering his playing time and line mates, but he didn't show jack squat in terms of long term potential.

...OSullivan makes MacLean look like Jerome Iginla.

In fact, I'll make a bet with you or anyone else who disagrees....

Patrick OSullivan will NEVER earn a full-time roster spot with any team in the NHL.

Quote, put it in your sig or whatever it is that people do, but I bet my left nut on this.

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
I base NONE of my written opinions by the number of points he has. I remember when Ollie Jokinen first broke into the NHL. He didn't post great numbers, but you could see the potential in his game. On the same note, I remember when Donald MacLean broke into the NHL. He had a somewhat decent season point wise considering his playing time and line mates, but he didn't show jack squat in terms of long term potential.

Patrick OSullivan will NEVER earn a full-time roster spot with any team in the NHL.

Quote, put it in your sig or whatever it is that people do, but I bet my left nut on this.

Ok, I'll remember this thread.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
If all 3 players reach there full potential Pouliot will never out score either of them, its true, but he may be a better all around player. But its pretty easy to say that O' Sullivan is better due to the fact hes on a team deep into rebuild mode

I prefer multi-dimensional players. Pouliot can PK as well as playmake and score. If he turns out to be a Stoll or Horcoff, I'd be estatic.

Pouliot is a poor man's version of Jordan Staal right now (who also PKs and scores).

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site

He already has with the Kings. You lose already.

toshiro

Jun 14, 2005
Western Canuckland
I dunno how many people outside of LA fans have gotten to see OSullivan, but I have my doubts about him.

Yes, he's only 21. Yes, he's playing in his first year. But, there have already been questions about his desire and work ethic. He was sent down to Manchester to work on these things. He's scored two goals in two games since returning, but he was pretty much invisible for the remainder of those games.

He has a great shot, no doubt about that. His passing is...well, I actually couldn't comment on it cause I've yet to see him actually pass the friggin puck. He will shoot from ANYWHERE. Good or bad, I don't know...

He's not exactly a gritty or fast player. He gets beaten down low alot which makes it a little frustrating considering how the Kings like to cycle the puck down low.

My whole point is that when you see a rookie, many times you gather a feeling of whether or not they have the 'juice'. Regardless of production, their sense of the game or their desire shines through. I get none of that with OSullivan.

I'm not saying he's this or that, but rather simply from what I've seen thus far... he will NOT be the player most on here seem to think he will be. So for those other two players to be ranked below him, says more about them than it does about Sully... imo.
Kots has a wicked shot, can make things happen at high speed, has good hockey sense, is sturdy on his skates, and has wonderful passing skills. If he was playing you a Joe Thorton or a Lecavalier he would be racking up the goals. Man he can shoot

toshiro

Jun 14, 2005
Western Canuckland

Left nuts shouldnt be wagered. That is just plain wrong.:teach:

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I'd say before MAP's most recent call-up it was definetly:

O sully
kostitsyn
map

but at this point having seen all 3 of them getting some solid ice time on nhl clubs, id have to say the reverse order is true

map
kostitsyn
o sully

map has been looking phenomenal in playing #2 center for the oilers. he does it all. either beginners luck, or this guy is the real deal.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
IMO, it could be pretty tight between these THREE, in the next 2 years.

Could be interesting...

p.s.: I always knew about Kostitsyn's great shot (heavy) and dangling style, good skating, etc...but I really admire his natural hockey sense when it comes to his passing...great passer. Kosts could eventually turn out to be the real thing...
I also like that M-A Pouliot (I think it's Marc Pouliot now!!).

I don't get the chance to watch the Kings too often, but I'd like to see more of that Kopitar and Sullivan...

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Kots has a wicked shot, can make things happen at high speed, has good hockey sense, is sturdy on his skates, and has wonderful passing skills. If he was playing you a Joe Thorton or a Lecavalier he would be racking up the goals. Man he can shoot

a sack of yukon golds could rack up goals if he was playing with joe thorton or vinny

KadoCH

Apr 18, 2004
I don't believe Kostitsyn to be the type of player that will help teams win games. Look at Samsonov for instance. All the talent in the world, but his heart isn't into it. Kostitsyn may be a flashy player who can skate like the wind and dangle with the best of 'em, but there have been many players like that who constantly underachieve (Alex Kovalev being one of 'em).

I'm not too high on those types of players, because there is only one dimension to their game. If they aren't scoring, they aren't contributing. And I would lump Patrick O'Sullivan into that category as well.

You obviously don't know to much about Kosty when you make statements like this because he is not just a one dimensional player he is a complete player that continues to improve and will continue to improve at the next level.

Kosty is a year or two behind in his developement in the N.A. game thats why I feel he will really develope into a very good top line player once he has a full grip on the language and game. He stayed in the RSL after being drafted in 03 and played very little minutes and struggled. He came over to the AHL the year after and so limited time on the 3rd-4th lines while learning to play D.

In the last two years he has begun to grip the language and show his grit, determination, and skill. He has multiple tools, kills penalties, is top 5 in the AHL in +/- among forwards. This year he has been in two fights sticking up for team mates (although he is definatley not a regular fighter) and since being called really showed some strong work effort as well as a very good shot and some good passing. Has 3pts in 5 games since the call up and has looked like one of the habs best players and had 9g 11a while on a 11gm point streak that led to his call up.

I don't know enough about the other two to rank the three of them, but don't think Kost is a lazy soft one dimensional euro by any stretch his game definatley translates at the NHL level.

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
Earlier in the year when Pouliot got called up he seemed a bit awe struck playing in the NHL and didn't seem to believe that he belonged. Now he looks confident and seems to have figured out that he can be a good player at this level. I don't think he'll ever be top line material, but lately he's looking like a pretty good bet to be a pretty decent 2nd line center.

Boilers*

Earlier in the year when Pouliot got called up he seemed a bit awe struck playing in the NHL and didn't seem to believe that he belonged. Now he looks confident and seems to have figured out that he can be a good player at this level. I don't think he'll ever be top line material, but lately he's looking like a pretty good bet to be a pretty decent 2nd line center.

His positioning is extremely good, he knows exactly where he's suppossed to be and when to be there on both sides of the blueline. I can't recall a rookie center (in the last 15 years) who ever "got it" this fast before. The kid flat out thinks the game and sees the ice really well. Very impressed thus far. Not going to be a superstar by any means probably, but he's delivering the goods about 3 years ahead of the curve.

Heske_44

Jul 4, 2006
from what I have seen, The list goes.

1. O'Sullivan

2. Pouliot

3. Kostitsyn

I have had the oppertunity to be able to compare Kostitsyn and Pouliot many times in the same game, during Pouliot's days in Hamilton. Pouliot was by far more impressive then Kostitsyn. The only player I felt that was close was JF Jacques. From what I have seen this year in Kostitsyn is that he has improved, however I still don't see him being nearly as good in the NHL as Pouliot will be. Pouliot has the vision and hockey sense that you cannot teach. Thats what differs him from Kostitsyn. Kostitsyn may have slightly better physical intangibles, but I am quite certain that Pouliot will become the more efficient NHLer. O'Sullivan on the other hand has unreal offensive upside and I believe he will be a solid 1st liner.

I sure hope you were joking.....

Pouliot isn't in the same skill class as AK if anything...then you say JF Jacques was the only one comparable?:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I'm liking the "Pouliot has the vision and hockey sense that you cannot teach. Thats what differs him from Kostitsyn. " LOL get real my friend. AK could barely speak english his first couple years here, if you have ever played any sport being able to communicate is pretty important and now that he can he is on a similar pace that O'Sully was last year....AK had back spasms with one point through his first 7 games. Hasn't done too much since...51 in 43. Lets compare O'Sully who you quoted as unreal offensive potential etc.

Sully
05'/'06 - Houston Aeros AHL 78 47 46 93

AK since injured start
06'/'07 - Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 43 21 30 51

This is going to sound amazing...but watch what I do here. 43 games, to me anyways, if enough time to say a consistant trend or developement has occured.

So if we take the 78 games Sully played and divide that into the 43 games AK that leaves us a figure of 1.81...now we are able to compare.

AK totals this year with same number of games as Sully

06/07 - Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 78* 38 54 92
Weird....it is almost as if at a similar age AK and Sully are....almost identical. Save the hands and vision is what AK pales in comparison. I've dealt with a Habs scout a few times in my work and his hands and shot are the reason why he was picked where he was. It was actually his work ethic on and off the ice as well as his at times invisible physical play that was concerning how effective he would be in the NHL.

Nice try though....

The list today is...

1.Sully
2.AK

That is all.

TheGreatone94

Apr 20, 2006
If Kosts is so great then how come he can't find a regular spot on the Canadiens? Don't get me wrong, I like his skill set and think he will be a Top 6 guy, but you guys are making him out to be too much. He has 3 assists in 10 NHL games, that is it. The comparison isnt who is going to be better in the AHL, its who is going to be better in the NHL

KadoCH

Apr 18, 2004
If Kosts is so great then how come he can't find a regular spot on the Canadiens? Don't get me wrong, I like his skill set and think he will be a Top 6 guy, but you guys are making him out to be too much. He has 3 assists in 10 NHL games, that is it. The comparison isnt who is going to be better in the AHL, its who is going to be better in the NHL

Neither O'sullivan(30gms) or Pouliot(32gms) have earned a regular spot yet and are from North America have grown up playing the North South game and speak the language. They both play on teams that have been out of the playoff race longer as well.

Kosty has only played 3 years of North South hockey doesn't speak the language (not perfectly yet) and is averaging more points per game in the NHL than the other two already(.3ppg vs. .23 & .28). Which he has done spending 5 of his 10 NHL games this season on the 4th line.

He would of had a solid spot on the team if it weren't a tendancy for Carbo to use D-men on forward when injuries happend. I'm positive he will have a full time spot next year room just needs to be made for him becuase he is ready.

TheGreatone94

Apr 20, 2006
Neither O'sullivan(30gms) or Pouliot(32gms) have earned a regular spot yet and are from North America have grown up playing the North South game and speak the language. They both play on teams that have been out of the playoff race longer as well.

Kosty has only played 3 years of North South hockey doesn't speak the language (not perfectly yet) and is averaging more points per game in the NHL than the other two already(.3ppg vs. .23 & .28). Which he has done spending 5 of his 10 NHL games this season on the 4th line.

He would of had a solid spot on the team if it weren't a tendancy for Carbo to use D-men on forward when injuries happend. I'm positive he will have a full time spot next year room just needs to be made for him becuase he is ready.

Again, I am not saying that he isn't a good prospect or won't be a good player, but some of the above posters were claiming he is the best by far and is miles ahead of Pouliot. Pouliot made the team at the end of the 05-06 season and was slotted as our 4th line Centre until he got mono. I think all three prospects are pretty close, but to say Kosts is way better isn't even close> And, .3 PPG is a flawed stat because he has only played 10 games, so I dont think you can even use that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->