M-A Pouliot VS A. Kostitsyn VS O'Sullivan

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
What the hell are you talking? I thought of him as a highly regarded prospect who should be playing like a top six forward. I don't see that. I know when to call a spade a spade. Take off the rose tinted glasses and look at it objectively. He's playing and producing like a grinder. Observe what some of the other 03 first round draft class is accomplishing in the NHL, specifically Ryan Getzlaf.

Rose tinted classes? I think you have a very strange idea of what it takes to be on the top-6 in the NHL.

People are legit top-6 players for more then just goal scoring or pretty passes. They get that ice time for hits, physicality, forechecking, defense, and lastly offensive production.

Brown deserves his ice time because of his overall game not simply because he is a goal scorer. Frankly the guy screams 25/25 at best in production. But he makes up for it by doing the dirty work that makes players like Sully and Kopitar thrive. It takes talent to be able to keep up with those guys. Talent that Brown has shown he has and has shown he is working to be better at.

So no I have no idea why you are disliking one of the few prospects we have who seems to be actually living up to his realistic projections...

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I hope Brown hits 25 goals, but I think we'd be lucky to see that happen. I don't dislike or "hate" Brown. I just don't see him as a top six forward. He may make a pretty solid checking line winger, but he's not the next Deadmarsh they were touting him to be.

AgentNaslund*

O Sullivan
Kosystin

Pouliout.

Im confused why he is even being compared with those higher up guys.

I guess is one of those , make me feel good about my homer player by grouping em with players that are better then them.

eg, Roloson with Luongo.

Louiss

Feb 28, 2002
twitter.com
O'Sullivan is way above the other two right now...

But to say Kosystsyn is way above Pouliot... Pouliot outplayed him last year in Hamilton and Kosistsyn, despite beeing the same age... was at this 2nd AHL season.

Anyway we won't know before they all get a fair opportunity at the NHL...(at least 10-12 minutes)

only O'sullivan have been given this opportunity thus far and only for a few games.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
O Sullivan
Kosystin

Pouliout.

Im confused why he is even being compared with those higher up guys.

I guess is one of those , make me feel good about my homer player by grouping em with players that are better then them.

eg, Roloson with Luongo.
You clearly haven't seen Pouliot play. Anyone who has seen the Hamilton Bulldogs play would agree that Pouliot is a much better player than Kostitsyn. However Kostisyn has shown flashes of talent, and probably has the higher upside, but he is way more unlikely to reach his potential, compared to Pouliot reaching his potential.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
O'Sullivan is way above the other two right now...

But to say Kosystsyn is way above Pouliot... Pouliot outplayed him last year in Hamilton and Kosistsyn, despite beeing the same age... was at this 2nd AHL season.

Anyway we won't know before they all get a fair opportunity at the NHL...(at least 10-12 minutes)

only O'sullivan have been given this opportunity thus far and only for a few games.

I don't agree with those that say Pouliot outplayed Kostitsyn. I saw more then half the games last year and I seem to remember Kostitsyn outscoring Pouliot in one less game played. Pouliot played better early on for sure, but Kostitsyn turned it on after being sent down last year when he had a good run with the Habs. I know it's only stats but lets not forget that Kostitsyn was 2nd on the team in scoring, despite being one of the youngest players, one of the most raw players on the team. Kostitsyn didn't speak much English, was still adapting to the North American game, which sadly has taken him a long time to adapt to, but he's getting noticeably better each year.

Imo last year he was the Habs top player in Hamilton last year and he's one of this year.

You clearly haven't seen Pouliot play. Anyone who has seen the Hamilton Bulldogs play would agree that Pouliot is a much better player than Kostitsyn. However Kostitsyn has shown flashes of talent, and probably has the higher upside, but he is way more unlikely to reach his potential, compared to Pouliot reaching his potential.

I can tell you I've seen him play and likely a lot more then most since I got a season pass to Dogs and have seen them in various cities across North America. Pouliot is a better all round player. Kostitsyn lacks effort and an understanding of the game and his role in said game. He doesn't know how to effectively use his teammates, tries to do too much on his own, I suspect he grew up watching Kovalev does he does a lot of the same I think I'll try and skate through the entire team crap only to lose the puck after beating 2 guys.

Is Pouliot a much better player then Kostitsyn? Doesn't matter to me, but I don't think so. Kostitsyn is very frustrating to watch but he was one of the most skilled players on the team and Coach Lever didn't hesitate to goto Kostitsyn when he needed offense and he even used him at times on the PK and late in the game when holding a lead, which shows that he has come a long way from the guy that had no clue whatsoever of what to do when he didn't have the puck.

If Pouliot is much better then good for him. As a Hab fan I can only hope that Kostitsyn continues to get better, he came over so raw and so poor defensively along with a very bad of habbitt of taking shifts off or not working as hard as he can. He was good in hamilton last year, he was good when called up for the most part, this year he's been better but still has work to do and may never get to where the Habs hope for.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Just for the record...(as a Hab fan) I put Kosts in the same category as O'Sullivan and M-A Pouliot (for now!). All THREE have top 6 potential... and I wanted the Habs to draft all 3! (especially that O'Sullivan was drafted in the 2nd Round...).

It's just a matter of getting the chance(s) in the NHL, chemistry with right linemates, when & if...

P.S. : M-A Pouliot did well tonight...had a goal and an assist...just needs more ice-time (top 6 ice time...).

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
P.S. : M-A Pouliot did well tonight...had a goal and an assist...just needs more ice-time (top 6 ice time...).

Well he could get it. He looked great out there tonight, even on the PK. With Stoll out, and now with Pisani as well, MAP was on a line with Lupul and Torres and they all looked great out there together. All 3 scored.

If MacT can give them some easier minutes, I could see him keeping that line together as he is a big believer in chemistry. And you don't get too much better then everyone on the line scoring.

And he's going by Marc Pouliot now. Kind of a surprise to us on the Oilers board as well.

If he can continue to get some minutes with talent like Torres and Lupul, he could put up some decent numbers for the rest of the season.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Well he could get it. He looked great out there tonight, even on the PK. With Stoll out, and now with Pisani as well, MAP was on a line with Lupul and Torres and they all looked great out there together. All 3 scored.

If MacT can give them some easier minutes, I could see him keeping that line together as he is a big believer in chemistry. And you don't get too much better then everyone on the line scoring.

And he's going by Marc Pouliot now. Kind of a surprise to us on the Oilers board as well.

If he can continue to get some minutes with talent like Torres and Lupul, he could put up some decent numbers for the rest of the season.

No more M-A!!;)
Kinda like when Emmanuel Fernandez changed his name to Manny Fernandez?!!

Darn...I was used to Marc-Antoine Pouliot!! Oh well...!!
Marc Pouliot it is!!:)
I hope he continues doing well...he is rewarding some patient Oiler fans (the ones who never gave up on M-A, I mean "M" Pouliot!!).

I hope Kostitsyn has the same chance to prove himself with the Habs next year (or even this season, you never know?!).
In my opinion, Kostitsyn will need to/should play with Koivu or Pleks to prove what he can do in the NHL...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What's funny is that Kostitsyn came over at 19 with no clue at all how to play in his own end but Doug Jarvis worked with him all year and slowly he has come around. Now he doesn't suck in his own end, is on the PK and can be trusted to be on the ice late in the game while trying to hold the lead. The irony is that he's now among the league leaders in +/- he's got a +23, which puts him 4th overall in the AHL. Right now he's been on a tear, 9 gm points streak, 17 points plus he had 2 goals in the SO the other day to win another SO (I've twice seen him win the SO by scoring 2 goals in each game) He had 7 pts in 3 games this weekend despite playing with ECHLer Cory Urquhart and rookie Matt D'Agostini.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
What's funny is that Kostitsyn came over at 19 with no clue at all how to play in his own end but Doug Jarvis worked with him all year and slowly he has come around. Now he doesn't suck in his own end, is on the PK and can be trusted to be on the ice late in the game while trying to hold the lead. The irony is that he's now among the league leaders in +/- he's got a +23, which puts him 4th overall in the AHL. Right now he's been on a tear, 9 gm points streak, 17 points plus he had 2 goals in the SO the other day to win another SO (I've twice seen him win the SO by scoring 2 goals in each game) He had 7 pts in 3 games this weekend despite playing with ECHLer Cory Urquhart and rookie Matt D'Agostini.

Since I'm a HAB fan, I hope it's ok if I allow myself to say/write this...

A. Kostitsyn may be aging like a great bottle of red wine!!;)

Some can say it's because of Grabovski...but he's even delivering with other teammates (D'Agostini, Urquhart).

Some will say 'cause of Jarvis (I have to agree with this or Jarvis can definitely get some credit, but how about the coach Lever? no? yes?...).

We can't say he's just a one dimensional player...Kosts deserves lots of credit for his +/- stats which don't lie (+23...). Love the fact that he's counted on for the PK...he has come a long way.

I really hope Kosts proves what he can do in the NHL, I think he can...:)

Jaydawg

Oct 26, 2006
Kostitsyn vs. O'Sullivan

I'm sure this has been posted before, but interested in the opinions out there about possible upside. Each player has had a lot of hype and are close to being mentioned as busts.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
From what I've seen of O'Sullivan he reminds me of Bochenski.

Good thing or bad thing, I don't know :)

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
O'Sullivan and it's not even close.

well then i see you never saw Kostytsin this year, we'l keep Kosty thank you very much, the man is simply OWNING the AHL right now, 4th in league with a +24 and finally in the top20 ascoring after a very slow start. O'sullivan is a good offensive forward but does not have Kosty's hands, shot or balance with the puck, he's just faster in his development

deano

Apr 13, 2005
I hope Brown hits 25 goals, but I think we'd be lucky to see that happen. I don't dislike or "hate" Brown. I just don't see him as a top six forward. He may make a pretty solid checking line winger, but he's not the next Deadmarsh they were touting him to be.

Frankly Ziggy, everyone can be a great GM in hindsight. Dustin Brown is a fierce body checker, and every year his point production has increased. So to sit there in hind sight and make statements like "look at what others in that draft class are doing" are purely garbage. Dustin Brown was actually predicted to go earlier than he did on draft day. To say that you knew Getzlaf would have been better is speculative. The fact that a player who is still developing his niche is doing so in the toughest league in the world should speak volumes. How many first round picks never have an NHL career? I think your own expectations are clouding your own judgement on this issue.

As far as the argument on this thread is concerned, O'Sullivan has the pedigree over Puliot and Kostitsyn. This is Lombardi and Crawfords guy for the future. Kopitar is a pleasant surprise left by the last regime, but they will do everything in their power to make O'Sullivan the player they want him to be. I don't see the same need or urgency in Edmonton for Puliot, and Kostitsyn in Montreal. With this in mind, and O'Sullivan's past success on the international stage/minors, I would regard him the highest on that list.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Frankly Ziggy, everyone can be a great GM in hindsight. Dustin Brown is a fierce body checker, and every year his point production has increased. So to sit there in hind sight and make statements like "look at what others in that draft class are doing" are purely garbage. Dustin Brown was actually predicted to go earlier than he did on draft day. To say that you knew Getzlaf would have been better is speculative. The fact that a player who is still developing his niche is doing so in the toughest league in the world should speak volumes. How many first round picks never have an NHL career? I think your own expectations are clouding your own judgement on this issue.

Right, Brown having one goal and six assists in the past 22 games while playing on the top line is no reason for concern of his development. I think your thoughts are clouded due to the fact that he's on the Kings. I think there is a reason why Brown, who was the second ranked North American prospect by the CSB dropped as far as he did. Scouts questions his hockey sense and looks like they were right on the money with that assessment.

Every year his point production has gone up due to his increased role and playing time, but he is being FORCED into a role in which he appears to be out of place. I don't see how his skills are improving. Remember, last season he was shuffled around but was mainly used with Jeremy Roenick or Michael Cammalleri throughout the season. This year he has been used on the top two lines, mostly with Kopitar, and he currently had the exact same amount of points as he did last season with three less goals scored. He is also a -19 this season, second worst on the team and worst among all Kings forwards. You call that progress?

He does have what it takes to be an NHL player, but I think he will just be a third line checker who can fill in on the second line if necessary. I'd like to see him become more aggressive in the offensive zone in terms of his forechecking as well as his positioning. He needs to create scoring opportunities for his teammates by giving them more room in the offensive zone.

Dustin Brown is still a work in progress and there is a lot of progression that needs to be done next season. I'll give him a pass this season since he is still learning, but I worry that he may soon be hitting the wall. We shall see.

I am thankful that Hugh Jessiman and Andrei Kostitsyn were selected right before Brown; at least the Kings drafted a player who can play in the NHL, even if he is only a checker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad