M-A Fleury sent down to the AHL... what you say?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by MM425, Oct 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MM425

MM425 Registered User

This is interesting on a couple of levels. The Pens clearly didn't want to pay his ridiculous bonuses, but at the same token, I heard he struggled in camp.

Hes a tremendous talent, theres no doubt there. I whatched the Ottawa pre-season game and his only problem is that he is HYPER- agressive, sliding across the crease and over-playing the shooter. Another year in the AHL will do him some good, if he can learn to be patient then he should be a shoo in on next years roster.

What are everyone elses thoughts on the pens goaltending prodigy?

2. Team_Spirit

Team_Spirit #FireBergevin

Home Page:
    Sebastien Caron is not a better goalie than MA Fleury . I guess they want Thibault to play most of the game and Fleury better off in the AHL playing more games .

Also isin't that guy Chiodo around ? I've read lot of good comments about him on HFB .

3. I had read that he didn't even play too well in the A last year and actually lost the starting job towards the end of the season.

4. SwisshockeyAcademy

SwisshockeyAcademy Registered User

Home Page:
    I am not one bit surprised by this. His last outing V Ottawa was less than inspiring. Thibault will play 55 games. Caron will have to be good in his starts or Fleury comes back up provided he has been very good at the AHL level.

#66 Registered User

Home Page:
    Its not a big deal and what most Pens fans want. As skilled as he is, his game is still flawed. Its better for him and the Penguins in the long run if he plays 60-65 games this year in the "A" rather than 20-25 games in the NHL. Even though he's lost a year in developement he's still on target to be a great goalie.

6. Hinger

Hinger Registered User

While it may turn out to be in the best interests of all parties concerned that he spend this year in the AHL I need to clarify the misconception that "he struggled in camp this year." That could be no further from the truth. I have covered his pre-season training camp and, as a matter of fact (definately my perception), he WAS the BEST goalie (including T-BO).

7. bryan579

bryan579 Registered User

money move so they dont have to pay fleury an extra like 3 million if he plays in over like 25 games

8. damoose212001

damoose212001 Registered User

Supply Chain/Real Estate
    You heard wrong. I actually got to see him play live, and this kid has tremendous skill. Playing in the AHL will let him play without all the spotlight, and get special attention from the new goalie coach, which should allow him to come close to fullfil his potential. Great move by the organization.

9. Dave is a killer

Dave is a killer Dave's a Mess

Home Page:
  10. Jacob

Jacob Registered User

Home Page:
    Fleury was by far the top goaltender through training camp and the preseason, but the issue here is what's going to be best for his development. The Penguins already got burned once by rewarding performance in preseason and you could argue that Fleury regressed as a result.

Simply put, Fleury needs playing time and he'll see lots of it in the AHL.

It's a long season though, and he could find himself in the NHL at some point.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2005
  11. clefty

clefty Retrovertigo

Home Page:
    I knew people would try and look for something that isn't there with this.

It boiled down to this. Having Fleury play 25 games or 55 games this season. Next year he'll backup Thibault, but for now the best thing is playing time.

He made 35 saves.

12. nomorekids

nomorekids The original, baby

Home Page:
    I heard that he asked to be sent down, for fear of facing Tomallaume Latendrevanek, the two-headed scoring monster! :eek:

13. I was looking forward to seeing all three of Lehtonen, Toivonen, and Fleury playing in the NHL this year. When the season starts, Lehtonen might be the only one with an NHL job (although Toivonen probably won the backup job with his performance against MTL this week)

14. Til the End of Time

Til the End of Time Registered User

Home Page:
    For those who had realistic expectations, Fleury is probably developing at a reasonable pace.

Ideally, he would have spent that first year after getting drafted with Cape Breton. Last year he could have started his professional career, continue it with WBS this season, and finally be the backup for Pittsburgh next season before taking the starting job in '06-'07. So in his fifth year after being drafted, he would be ready to be the starter-- that's probably a reasonable timeframe for talented goalies that aren't superhuman (Lehtonen).

Instead, that first year where Fleury bounced around from team to team was kind of a waste, largely due to bad management in Pittsburgh. But I'd say things are still on track for Fleury. Let him start this season in WBS (which is undoubtedly the right move), be the backup next season, and then assume the starting job in '06-'07.

Honestly, I don't think we should have expected Fleury to be all that further ahead in his development at this time. We were just impatient as fans, just as Penguins management was.

I think we should really worry about Fleury if he doesn't improve upon from last season.

15. calgarylen13

calgarylen13 Registered User

Home Page:
    Hit the nail on the head, great observing Seamus

16. I really expected this kid to come up and atleast win the backup job this year. I guess it wasn't meant to be for whatever reason there is. Certainly very disapointing.

17. clefty

clefty Retrovertigo

Home Page:
    Did you not read this thread?

18. its a good thing for him to play 60 games rather then play 20 games in the NHL. Hes a young man, he has get better and get stronger. Just look what Dumb New York Rangers did to Blackburn. Brought him into the leauge way too early, and now hes screwed for life. F U Glen Sather. You jack ***.

Fleury is what? 21? Hes hella young, and will make the team next year, along with Malkin. They are gonna break them in together the same year probably.

19. MM425

MM425 Registered User

Furthermore, its not time to push the panic button yet, but this is a crucial year for MAF in the AHL. If he doesn't produce, then one might start thinking of lableling him as a "bust".

I also wouldnt rule out Fleury getting called up 1/2 through the year and get some playing time... just as long as he doesn't get past the 25 game mark.

20. Sens4Cup

Sens4Cup Registered User

I think this probably happened because Mario only has room at his house for one franchise player, well other than himself of course, so Fleury's the odd man out when Crosby came to town. :biglaugh:

21. Arastiroth

Arastiroth Registered User

Home Page:
    I don't really consider this surprising. I fully expected this (and not because I think he sucks). He's only 20 or 21. He's very young for a goalie, and they're better off letting him get lots of playing time and develop his game in the AHL. It's a bit harder for a young goalie to develop their game in the NHL than the AHL. Confidence is HUGE for goalies.

22. Birko19

Birko19 Registered User

Home Page:
    I think Fleury was overhyped the year he was drafted, clearly he's not the best player in that draft.

Having said that I still think he has the potential to be a star goalie someday (Not Brodeur-like) but an overall star, this move makes a lot of sense, the Pens know that Thibault will get most of the games, instead of Fleury getting a small amount of games why not get a chunk of games under his belt in the AHL? that would be better for his development.

I say next year Fleury comes up and splits half of the time with Thibault (If he's signed with them still), and from then on he'll take over, kind of like what Atlanta will do this year, I doubt Lehtnonen will play most of the games, I think the idea in Atlanta now is let's split the games between him and Dunham and see how it goes, but by next year I expect Lehtonen to be the top man for the job easily.

23. Claypool_*

Claypool_* Guest

I love Hockeys Future :biglaugh:

24. tom_servo

tom_servo Registered User

Home Page:
    This was inevitable. Sending Fleury to the AHL says nothing about his NHL potential quite yet.

25. Birko19

Birko19 Registered User

Home Page:
    He was overhyped, I'm not making this up, don't get me wrong the kid is a very talented goalie and has a great potential but the only time where he shinned and was above other players from the 03 draft was during the WJC, tha's what boosted his stock, ever since then guys like Zherdev, Staal, Phaneuf, and so on have passed him....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.