M-A Fleury HOF?

Fleury to the HOF

• Total voters

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
After next season he has a shot for most play-offs wins in history of the NHL and possibly 5 Stanley Cup's
how you suppose to drop a goalie of such from HOF? - crazy, crazy who voted no -

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Also, he is only 33 with already 404 regular season wins, i think there's 99,9% chance that he will hit 500 wins

Gotta remember one Marty Brodeur had 407 career wins at 33, he ended up with 691 career wins
Marty was 43 when he retired.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
That's where I'm at. Although a Conn Smythe and cup win this year probably ups that tremendously.

I actually thought a year ago that him getting in was a silly premise. I think what he's done with an expansion team, especially in this playoffs and his play over the last 4 years has really catapulted him though.
i'm not sold at all with him being a hall of fame player - but your comment on this past year is a decent one. admittedly i think of him more in terms of his previous history. at the same time, i don't think one season elevates a player to HHOF who wasn't previously one.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i'm not sold at all with him being a hall of fame player - but your comment on this past year is a decent one. admittedly i think of him more in terms of his previous history. at the same time, i don't think one season elevates a player to HHOF who wasn't previously one.
Well, the biggest thing that would elevate him to HHOF status in just this one year would be a cup and Conn Smythe. Now I'm not convinced that Vegas is winning the cup, but if they do, he's the Conn Smythe winner. Even if he has a poor series in the SCF, I think he's the Conn Smythe winner if they win it. And it's not me, but the committee puts a premium on things like wins and he already has more than twice as many playoff wins as Luongo and a dozen more than Lundqvist. He also has more shutouts in the playoffs than either of them, he was tied with Lundqvist at 10 career before this playoffs. That doesn't mean he's a better goaltender than either of them, but I'm sure this will be taken into account when going over his resume, as those two are the measuring stick among goalies of this era IMO.

At this time last year, he had a good couple rounds in the playoffs, even though he was relegated back to the bench in favor of Murray. His regular season wasn't all that good last year. He came back this year and showed that last year was just a blip on the radar or a down season. And even with that down season, he's been a .920%+ goaltender since 2014, when you combine his playoff play with the regular season. And I believe Fleury has played the third most playoff games of any goaltender since the 2015 playoffs, with only his former teammate Matt Murray and Braden Holtby playing more in that time. So it's not like it's a terribly limited sample size. One other factor that changes everything from a year ago. Vegas wasn't supposed to be good. I think most people would have bet that Fleury wouldn't continue to rack up regular season wins, if not due to the fact that Vegas was expected to suck for a few years. So a year ago we're thinking ''Fleury's probably not gonna compile a lot of wins between now and the end of his career because the team isn't gonna be good enough''.

And one major factor that I think the committee will love, if he did win the cup/Conn Smythe. It was for an expansion team in the year 2018. That would hold a lot more weight in their eyes than if he did this after getting traded to a team like the Sharks or Jets or an already established team.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

It matters if you are previously close enough

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
If he wins the Cup with Vegas then he probably will end up making the HoF eventually especially with a Conn Smythe which he should win in such a event.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Cup and conn smythe seals it, otherwise people won't give him credit as he won his other cups with Pittsburgh. He's going to be the winningest goalie of this era regardless.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Crazy how a goalie can go from being compared to Dan Cloutier to being discussed as a HoF candidate. Regardless of whether he gets in the HoF or not, good on him for turning his career around.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I don't get the people that say no, if Fluery wins the cup he will have 4 cups and a playoff MVP

and if he loses that's 3 cups and a playoff MVP because either way he's winning playoff MVP.

either way that's a hall of fame career.

THe comparsions to Osgood are a joke, Osgood nevered carried a team anywhere his teams carried him.

Claude Lemeiux has 4 Cups and a Smythe...I guess he should be in too, right?

Fleury hasn't carried a team anywhere either.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Also, he is only 33 with already 404 regular season wins, i think there's 99,9% chance that he will hit 500 wins

Gotta remember one Marty Brodeur had 407 career wins at 33, he ended up with 691 career wins
Marty was 43 when he retired.

to the people pimping his win stats, you cant compare his win totals to historical totals.

Dont forget he has played in an era with no ties. Every other goalie has had ties. Fleury's win totals are artificially inflated by the shootout turning would be ties into wins.

Wrath

Jan 13, 2012
If he wins the Stanley Cup this year, even if he somehow does not win the Smythe (is obvious frontrunner on VGK at the moment), lock for HOF.

If he gets the CS too then that's just pudding on top.

If he instead wins the cup sometime in the next few years with VGK and doesn't win the CS, then still very probable HOF induction. With a CS or strong performance then lock yet again.

If he never wins the cup with Vegas, he still has a very good shot.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
After next season he has a shot for most play-offs wins in history of the NHL and possibly 5 Stanley Cup's
how you suppose to drop a goalie of such from HOF? - crazy, crazy who voted no -
Won't even be close to having the most play-off wins in NHL history. Fleury could win the cup this year, win the Cup in '19, '20, '21, '22 and make it to the conference finals in '23 and Fleury still wouldn't have as many playoff wins as Patrick Roy.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
How about he first wins his 2nd Cup as a starter first? He has no place in the Hall as is, his regular seasons are unremarkable, he has a playoff stretch where he was downright horrible and the main reason his team lost.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
He's the reason Vegas is in the final.

that's nice, he's this year's hot goalie that makes a run to the Finals. It happens every year, he isn't unique. Really 2007, 2010, and 2015 are the only years without a standout goalie since the lockout

2003 - Giguere goes .945/1.62
2004 - Khabibulin goes .933/1,71
2006 - Ward goes .919/2.12
2008 - Osgood goes .930/1.55
2009 - Osgood goes .926/2.01
2011 - Thomas goes .940/1.98
2012 - Quick goes .946/1.41
2013 - Rask goes .940/1.88
2014 - Lundqvist goes .927/2.14
2016 - Murray goes .923/2.08
2017 - Murray goes .937/1.70

Fleury is one of the better runs in this list, but not the best (Giguere and Quick for sure, arguably 08 Osgood)

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Claude Lemeiux has 4 Cups and a Smythe...I guess he should be in too, right?

Yeah, probably.

that's nice, he's this year's hot goalie that makes a run to the Finals. It happens every year, he isn't unique.

This kind of statistical run to the Finals does not happen every year.

Top Round 1-3 Performances, 1968-2018
Error Rate vs. Expectation (EvE)

1. Jean-Sebastien Giguere, 2003 (39.6% on 496 shots)
2. John Davidson, 1979 (46.0% on 374 shots)
3. Rogie Vachon, 1969 (46.8% on 257 shots)
4. Richard Brodeur, 1982 (54.0% on 463 shots)
5. Patrick Roy, 1993 (54.3% on 492 shots)
6. Ilya Bryzgalov, 2006 (54.5% on 285 shots)
7. Tuukka Rask, 2013 (55.4% on 527 shots)
8. John Vanbiesbrouck, 1996 (55.6% on 616 shots)
9. Marc-Andre Fleury, 2018 (55.9% on 505 shots)
10. Arturs Irbe, 2002 (56.5% on 319 shots)

Only letting in 55.9% of the number of goals that Los Angeles, San Jose, and Winnipeg would be expected to score on 505 shots is pretty fantastic. Whether he sticks the landing in the Finals or not, he’s already separated himself statistically from what we see “every year.”

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
absolutely. MAF gets very little respect for his regular season numbers. He has been a VERY good goalie for a VERY long time. Him leading Vegas to the finals here will be a huge tick on his HOF resume. He will get in. He deserves to get in. No doubt in my mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->