Lyamin (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't know if there is another prospect in this draft (other than maybe Robbie Schremp) that has more contradictory scouting reports than Kirill Lyamin. For people who have actually seen him play and are not basing their opinions on other scouting reports, what style of player is he, and where would you rank him? Thanks alot.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
He is a stay-at-home type defenceman . He is very physical and he uses his 6-3 frame to the max . He can move big defenders out of the crease . He plays a safe a simple game he is the fourth best international defenceman and 14th best international skater . I would rank him in the second round around the second round the 40's-50's area . Besides his defensive game and his physical presence he doesn't bring no more .

Last edited:

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I'm surprised that there are such varied opinions of Lyamin because to me he looks like one of the safe, simple bets of this draft. He's not at all a flash-and-dash player, he's a bit hesitant with the puck outside his own zone but he is physically powerful, poised and in control. He has an aura about him which seems to say 'this is MY territory'.

He looks like a very safe bet to me to be a #3-4 defensive, physical NHL defenseman who will play steadily and reliably when under pressure.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
steblick said:
I'm surprised that there are such varied opinions of Lyamin because to me he looks like one of the safe, simple bets of this draft. He's not at all a flash-and-dash player, he's a bit hesitant with the puck outside his own zone but he is physically powerful, poised and in control. He has an aura about him which seems to say 'this is MY territory'.

He looks like a very safe bet to me to be a #3-4 defensive, physical NHL defenseman who will play steadily and reliably when under pressure.

Seems like a Ohlund comparision . Known as a defensive defender , then turned into a shut down guy with an offensive touch . I would love to see KIRIL Koltsov and KIRILL Lyamin on the same line . a stay-at-home and a power play quaterback
:amazed:

This guy IMO can also be compared to Chara , but smaller and without the offensive touch .

Last edited:

The Fuhr*

Lyamin would look good in ottawa a couple years from now paired with Volchenkov.

Soyuz

Dec 8, 2003
Visit site
RussianProspects put out a draft guide that includes a nice profile of Lyamin and his performance at the U18 WJC. It's a good read if you want info on the Russians.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
steblick said:

That's what THN said about him in their draft capsule. At best a number three, not that there is anything wrong with that. Look at Brooks Orpik. Drafted what, number 16 overall with questions about his "upside", and now he's an untouchable with the Penguins, a likely top pairing guy in the future, and their probable future captain.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Draft Guru said:
Or in New York paired with Tyutin....

I hope so ;)

Lyamin reminds me of Pavel Kubina, and after this years playoffs every team in the league will be aiming for a guy like this.

The Fuhr*

rt said:
How late can you realistically seem him dropping in this year's draft? 25? 35? 45?

He will go no later then 23 because Ottawa should snap him up with there pick if he's still around by then.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Fuhr86 said:
He will go no later then 23 because Ottawa should snap him up with there pick if he's still around by then.

23rd ? He is suppose to be a second rounder , by most people ! And most people think that Kiril will be taken , by the Canucks . Big guy , who can clear the crease , a sure-fire stay-at-home defenceman . My question now ... does he have any offensive potential ?

RANGERDIEHARD

Jul 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Bluenote13 said:
I hope so ;)

Lyamin reminds me of Pavel Kubina, and after this years playoffs every team in the league will be aiming for a guy like this.

I like this guy more and more as the draft nears. I've heard comparisons to Dmitri Kalinin as well. He should go in the mid 20's to early 30's.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Kirill Lyamin is an all-around defenceman who can bring alot of offence to a team. He can play on the powerplay as he has some very good skills. He has a good vision, he is a fast skater and he is a great passer. He's big, but he's not overly physical. He's good defensively as he's got good positionning but he doesn't use his size well to clear the front of the net and win battle along the boards.

http://membres.lycos.fr/hockeyscout/2004.htm

This is just one of the contradictory reports I wrote about earlier. :dunno:

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
rt said:
Kirill Lyamin is an all-around defenceman who can bring alot of offence to a team. He can play on the powerplay as he has some very good skills. He has a good vision, he is a fast skater and he is a great passer. He's big, but he's not overly physical. He's good defensively as he's got good positionning but he doesn't use his size well to clear the front of the net and win battle along the boards.

http://membres.lycos.fr/hockeyscout/2004.htm

This is just one of the contradictory reports I wrote about earlier. :dunno:

WHAT ?!?!?!?! Lyamin is suppose to be a Stay-At-Home ... Am I right ?

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Hockeycrazed07 said:
He passes well exiting the defensive zone, leading to good rushes, but nobody knows what his shot is like, considering he never uses it.

~Crazed.

Sounds real well to me then ! Hope the Canucks draft him then ! One more question I've heard on scouting reports that he is physical , but on this it says he doesn't hit much and on another scouting report it said he can move big foward out of the crease and this one said no . :dunno:

The Fuhr*

I'am so high on Lyamin because he sounds so much like the scouting reports of Volchenkov when he was drafted. Lyamin is a solid stay at home defenceman who plays physical and he has a ton of untapped offensive potential. He makes a great first pass out of his zone and if he has a group of talented forwards it would create lots of odd man rushes. I think who ever picks up Lyamin will have one of the steals of the draft but thats just my opinion.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Fuhr86 said:
I'am so high on Lyamin because he sounds so much like the scouting reports of Volchenkov when he was drafted. Lyamin is a solid stay at home defenceman who plays physical and he has a ton of untapped offensive potential. He makes a great first pass out of his zone and if he has a group of talented forwards it would create lots of odd man rushes. I think who ever picks up Lyamin will have one of the steals of the draft but thats just my opinion.

Then I want him on MY team !

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
rt said:
Has anyone here actually seen him play a few games? :help:

Only one game, the U18 Championship against the US. He actually scored a goal and played solid defense. And unlike reports i've read, he played a very disciplined game. Made me a believer.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Bluenote13 said:
Only one game, the U18 Championship against the US. He actually scored a goal and played solid defense. And unlike reports i've read, he played a very disciplined game. Made me a believer.

Did you see his slap shot ? Is it a good shot ? What other good qualities does he have ?

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I've seen Lyamin play about 8 times. The write-up earlier in this thread about his offensive prowess but defensive weaknesses seemed bizarre to me.

Lyamin is a Scott Stevens type. He's freakishly strong and just oozes strength and confidence. Good poise in his own zone- really pins his man, rarely resorts to clutch 'n grab. You don't notice him much on offense though, there were enough good puck-moving Russian FWs to do that. Shot was not noticeable positively or negatively (unlike Vorobiev).

Prucha73

Lyamin

What is his offensive upside? I saw some contradictory reports--some saying he is defensive only, others saying that he is good offensively and on the power play. Which is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad