LW Vladimir Tkachyov - SKA St.Petersburg, KHL (2014 undrafted)

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
So he decides to report mid-season. Very risky move for a severely undersized all-skill Russian player. Will be interesting to follow his development.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
My laptop isn't playing any videos for some reason but what I remember from the U18s was he was a tiny Russian with ridiculous speed and more ridiculous hands. He was just so tiny and only noticeable with the puck, looking forward to seeing what he can do in the Q.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Worked for Tolchinsky. My guess is that he might have given Tkachev some advice.

Worked in what way? A bit premature to say that. We already knew he is super skilled junior player before he came to Canada.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Worked in what way? A bit premature to say that. We already knew he is super skilled junior player before he came to Canada.

Worked in getting an NHL contract. After all, that's obviously why European players come to North American junior leagues to play. To earn more ice time and to get interest from NHL clubs.

Tolchinsky was able to play well enough in the OHL to earn an NHL contract (proving to NHL scouts that he's worth a shot despite his size). I think it's pretty obvious that, that's Tkachev's goal too.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Worked in getting an NHL contract. After all, that's obviously why European players come to North American junior leagues to play. To earn more ice time and to get interest from NHL clubs.

Tolchinsky was able to play well enough in the OHL to earn an NHL contract (proving to NHL scouts that he's worth a shot despite his size). I think it's pretty obvious that, that's Tkachev's goal too.

Fair enough. But I'd like to think the elite Russian players aim to make it in NHL, not just earn this contract.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I'd definitely inclined to take a flyer on him at the draft, it's likely he has a chip on his shoulder from being snubbed so is probably all the more dedicated to making the NHL and is less likely to bolt to Russia.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
It's a process. Hard enough for undersized guys to get that far but Tolchinsky needed a contract before he could do anything.

I understand that. But still, he didn't get drafted anyway. He earned that contract during summer camp, so it's not clear if CHL really helped him get so far (it sure didn't hurt though).

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.

He wasn't drafted. That in itself isn't success.

We will see how he pans out. Being drafted by an NHL team, or being signed by one, isn't success. The NHL isn't the be all and end all as a career, but if we're using it as the defining principle, then at least quantify a sizeable NHL sample size with some results as success .... not an affliation that cannot possibly be assessed yet.

Will be interesting to see how Tkachev performs. Everytime i've seen him, i've been impressed. Still, given size, lack of a truely well rounded game and his nationality, he'll be drafted much lower than natural ability and entertainment would suggest.

HC Bienne

@llopesso19
Mar 13, 2012
Bienne, Swiss
www.eurohockey.com
Vladimir Tkachyov(Avangard Omsk, 2014 draft)

vladimir_tkachyov_russia_112813.jpg

Future Considerations:

"Tkachyov is a shifty and highly skilled Russian forward that loves to generate offensive chances. He skates very well and generates good speed, has explosive acceleration and impressive lateral quickness makes him elusive with the puck. The tiny forward is a magician with his hands. "

Hockey's Future:

"Tkachyov is an extremely gifted offensive player with great speed and violinist-like hands. As North American audiences witnessed during the recent Subway Super Series, he likes to dangle and dribble and can score highlight-reel goals like the one he scored against the QMJHL All-Star team. The flamboyant winger, however, is rumored to have some attitude issues, like the conflict he had this summer when he and his agent used the CHL as leverage to get a regular spot with his team, Avangard Omsk, in the KHL. He played only two games at the senior level, then was demoted to the junior team as the team’s head coach publicly stated that he needs to learn to play defense before having a legit shot at the big team. He also has to get some meat on his bones as he is very small at 5’8” and 150 pounds, but he’s a very flashy player and he showed during the Super Series that he is able to escape big hits using his great skating abilities. He wasn’t called by Mikhail Varnakov to the WJC preparation camp, which was a bit of a surprise because he’s obviously very talented and did play well against the CHL all-star teams."

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=211956

enjoy! :yo:

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Craig Button ‏@CraigJButton 3m

Nice debut for Vladimir Tkachev in @QMJHL action for @monctonwildcats 2 goals & assist through 2 periods. #2014NHLDraft #TSN

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Tkachev finished with 2+2 in his QMJHL debut, with 3 of those points coming on the PP. He picked up a secondary assist on Barbashev's one-timer and then finished off two of his feeds to make it 3-1 Moncton. His other assist came late, as his wraparound was finished off by Lalonde to seal a 7-4 win.

[Edit:] Here are the YouTube highlights of his night:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad