LW Toni Rajala - Luleå HF, SHL (2009, 101st, EDM; UFA)

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
I don't think that we shall see Rajala in any Finnish league games this year. He is not ready for that physically and it would be too big a risk.

I heard that Rajala had a some kind of a fight in a Ilves A juniors practise game against HIFK. The opponent was no 27. Did anyone witness this event and could give some additional info about what are Rajala's capabilities in this area of the game?

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

you're right... Maybe SM-Liiga games aren't in store this season. Rajala's small... I couldn't see him getting into a fight... I'd like to see if he did and how well he did if he did.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Are you sure he's 5'10, cause i remember him being a 5'8 a year ago..

When I was 15-16 I grew 4 inches........... He's still growing.. he's not full grown...

I hope he's 5'11" by draft day :) That's perfect height for his skill setting and things like that.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Name: Rajala, Toni
Position: Left Wing
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 160 Lbs
Current Team: Ilves Tampere Junior-A team
Pros:
  • Great Speed- Ability to control any game. The tournament game I saw he scored the first goal in :53 seconds on a Defensive Zone to Offensive Zone break away where he mutilated defenders

• So he also has a violent streak? :D

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

The official Toni Rajala thread

Since he's the most exciting prospect in a while... can we keep tabs on him?

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
This far the stats are:
A-juniors league 2 0+0 -1
B-juniors qualifying group 5 5+9=14
He should play in a-juniors imo permantenly, and the coach should give him an offensive role+powerplay time. Dont really know whats going around there, because he's too good to the b-juniors.
Last year his stats in b-juniors were 33 games 47 points, so he has already proved his skills in that level.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

That's great... Why is he going back and forth? Doesn't that mess with chemistry?

Joretus

I think this is typical "finnish mentality", which is in juniors "results first, style&getting better in the long run second".

Generally that means even 10y are teached to dump&chase, not use their all possible skillsets. Sooooo now Rajala will be playing in B-juniors where he can't really learn more imho...

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Yeah, the Finnish junior system has some major flaws in my opinion. Of course, club teams here have a lot of interest in developing their own juniors and keeping them, but I think we should come up with a new system. Maybe imitate the US national team development program:

The NTDP consists of two national teams, the U.S. National Under-18 Team and the U.S. National Under-17 team, based in Ann Arbor, Mich., where the program's goal is to prepare student-athletes under the age of 18 for participation on U.S. National Teams and for future hockey careers. Efforts focus on high-caliber play and on developing well-rounded individuals off the ice. The success of the NTDP is not gauged on wins and losses, but on acquiring skills and experience.

The two teams combine to play more than 110 games each season vs. collegiate, U.S. junior and international competition.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Yeah, the Finnish junior system has some major flaws in my opinion. Of course, club teams here have a lot of interest in developing their own juniors and keeping them, but I think we should come up with a new system. Maybe imitate the US national team development program:
Why imitate a system that develops only marginally more players out of a way huger talent pool?

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Why imitate a system that develops only marginally more players out of a way huger talent pool?

But more quality players. Top level talent. By taking the best from each age group and playing them against better opposition (with less random level of coaching than in junior C or B or even A) than they get to play in their respective junior teams would, in my opinion, create more "star players" out of Finland. And at least should develop a really good chemistry between those guys for the WJCs etc.

I might be wrong, though, as I don't really have the numbers, but I think I remember reading about how the program affected the amount of first round draft picks from the US in a very positive way.

Mikle

Nov 26, 2007
Some information about Rajala: A-juniors league 15 8+7 +4
These things I have heard about them who have seen him playing. Rajala doesn't play very aggressive in A-juniors, but when he has played against his aged he has tackled actively. Rajala rise and fall too much in the A-juniors. 1vs.1 he can dare bigger, more physical and older players. He finds much better room and surprising solutions than other players. He has excellent game vision. The shot is good and pretty straightforward, but it can be better. He moves great forward, sideways, turns quickly and use his stick well to get the puck. He do well in the corners using movelines and his puck control. The biggest problems are on the defence area, being in the right place there, to do the right choices, opening the game. He also needs more experience and strength. Ilves teach him to play on the defence area, using he to killing the penalties. He plays also some powerplay, but ilves has at least three lines for powerplay. On the offence area he is just great. He has huge potential so only the sky is the limit.

Damien

Jul 26, 2002
Calgary, Alberta
Visit site
I've heard alot of good things about Rajala, but being here in Calgary I can't really follow his progress very well. Any chance he could come to the CHL to get acclimated to the North American game before his 09' draft year?

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I've heard alot of good things about Rajala, but being here in Calgary I can't really follow his progress very well. Any chance he could come to the CHL to get acclimated to the North American game before his 09' draft year?

If he wants to have any fans in Finland I doubt he'll do that.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden

With the way he's going right now he wouldn't really have any use of it. Much better to have him gradually learning playing against men in his homecountry.

It's not as Finland has international size rinks anyway, the adaption from finnish rinks is easier than from IE swedish rinks.

Canuck71*

Toni Rajala finishes U-17s with 11 Pts

Statistics wise I have been really really impressed with Rajala. He racked up 6 Goals, and 5 Assists for a total of 11 PTS in 5 Games at the Under-17s in London, Ontario.
Rajala seems to be the real deal and people I have talked to that were at the U-17s this week said that he is a hell of a talent and is a threat every time he is one the ice. I havent had the chance to seem him but for anyone who has could you tell me his strengths and weaknesses? TSN has him listed as 5'9 148 lbs? At that size he must be one incredibely smooth player.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
Statistics wise I have been really really impressed with Rajala. He racked up 6 Goals, and 5 Assists for a total of 11 PTS in 5 Games at the Under-17s in London, Ontario.
Rajala seems to be the real deal and people I have talked to that were at the U-17s this week said that he is a hell of a talent and is a threat every time he is one the ice. I havent had the chance to seem him but for anyone who has could you tell me his strengths and weaknesses? TSN has him listed as 5'9 148 lbs? At that size he must be one incredibely smooth player.

Rajala was very impressive and clearly solidified his status as a top-notch 2009 prospect by proving his ability to succeed against top international compeition despite his lack of size, but Spartak Moscow forward Kirill Kabanov (6-1, 172) also finished with 11 points and is 16 months younger than Rajala. In fact, he was the second-youngest player in the tournament (7/16/92 b-day) and racked up two goals, nine assists and 28 PIMs in five games. Much more hyped Russian forward Maxim Kitsyn had only four points in Russia's five games, and Kabanov is likely to shoot up the 2010 draft boards after this impressive performance.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
its a loooooong way to go before the 2010 draft, but 11 pts in 5 games by a 15 year old is extremely impressive. especially considering he is playing against guys a year older then him... one year is a lot at that age....

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
Just for comparison, here is how the other '92-born players fared in the tourney (oldest to youngest among the '92s):

Teemu Pulkkinen, Finland -- 1/2/92 -- five goals, three assists in five games
Tom Kuhnhackl, Germany -- 1/21/92 -- four goals, one assist in five games
Bernhard Keil, Germany -- 1/21/92 -- one goal, one assist in five games
Brandon Gormley, Atlantic -- 2/18/92 -- one goal, five assists in five games
Mikael Granlund, Finland -- 2/26/92 -- one goal, one assist in five games
Ben Duffy, Atlantic -- 3/3/92 -- no goals, no assists in five games
Joonas Donskoi, Finland -- 4/13/92 -- one goal, no assists in five games
Morgan Ellis, Atlantic -- 4/30/92 -- no goals, no assists in five games
Kirill Kabanov, Russia -- 7/16/92 -- two goals, nine assists in five games
Sean Couturier, Atlantic -- 12/7/92 -- no goals, one assist in five games

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I hope he grows, I thought he was bigger than that. If he's that size by draft day he won't be first round, even with that kind of talent. There's no way he'll be able to play in the NHL against 6'4-6'9 defenders and not start suffering Finnish-esque injury problems (cough Tuomo Ruutu, Saku Koivu, Teemu Selanne, Joni Pitkanen cough). If he's 5'11" 160-180 by draft day I still STILL think he's top 10 talent. But I didn't see this tournament so I don't know if I'm speaking out of line or not.

Canuck71*

I hope he grows, I thought he was bigger than that. If he's that size by draft day he won't be first round, even with that kind of talent. There's no way he'll be able to play in the NHL against 6'4-6'9 defenders and not start suffering Finnish-esque injury problems (cough Tuomo Ruutu, Saku Koivu, Teemu Selanne, Joni Pitkanen cough). If he's 5'11" 160-180 by draft day I still STILL think he's top 10 talent. But I didn't see this tournament so I don't know if I'm speaking out of line or not.

5'10 160 lbs Patrick Kane went first overall, and I am almost positive that Rajala would grow to at least 5'10 160-170 by draft day in the next few years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad