LW/RW Kirill Kaprizov - CSKA Moscow, KHL (2015, 135th, MIN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
And one more goal in today's game against Irbis.

Kirill Kaprizov scored 10 points (7+3) in 4 MHL games. The regular season is now over, and Medvedi are going to face Stalnye Lisy (Steel Foxes) from Magnitogorsk, a beastly team that came 2nd in the East and led the entire MHL in goals. It will be a test.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Kuznetskie Medvedi got eliminated in 3 games (1-3), so Kaprizov's season is likely over. His final statlines:

KHL: 53 games, 11+16=27, 10 PIM, -4.
MHL RS: 4 games, 7+3=10, 0 PIM, +9.
MHL playoffs: 4 games, 1+2=3, 0 PIM, 0.

I'm mostly satisfied with Kaprizov's progress this year. He looks much more confident, he holds the puck much more now, but always has a good passing timing and shoots a bit more often, he played a lot on the PP and was an obvious #1 RW on the team. Added some muscles as well, so while at 5'10 it's obviously a bit hard for him to match veterans' physicality, he was way better along the boards and harder to knock off the puck. Kirill also was much more consistent, he barely had games when he wasn't noticeable.

Reviewing his skillz, Kaprizov's shot remains his weakness. While he had a couple of nice goals with mid-ranged shots this year, overall his shot just isn't powerful enough, and he gets most of his goals from the area close to the net, where his positioning and reflexes are very good. With more strength to his legs, his acceleration is a bit better now, but the stride still needs work. Kirill's play without the puck is generally very good, but sometimes he relies on his teammates a bit too much in the d-zone.

He's signed for one 2 more KHL seasons.

Last edited:

Northman77

Jun 12, 2013
Kuznetskie Medvedi got eliminated in 3 games (1-3), so Kaprizov's season is likely over. His final statlines:

KHL: 53 games, 11+16=27, 10 PIM, -4.
MHL RS: 4 games, 7+3=10, 0 PIM, +9.
MHL playoffs: 4 games, 1+2=3, 0 PIM, 0.

I'm mostly satisfied with Kaprizov's progress this year. He looks much more confident, he holds the puck much more now, but always has a good passing timing and shoots a bit more often, he played a lot on the PP and was an obvious #1 RW on the team. Added some muscles as well, so while at 5'10 it's obviously a bit hard for him to match veterans' physicality, he was way better along the boards and harder to knock off the puck. Kirill also was much more consistent, he barely had games when he wasn't noticeable.

Reviewing his skillz, Kaprizov's shot remains his weakness. While he had a couple of nice goals with mid-ranged shots this year, overall his shot just isn't powerful enough, and he gets most of his goals from the area close to the net, where his positioning and reflexes are very good. With more strength to his legs, his acceleration is a bit better now, but the stride still needs work. Kirill's play without the puck is generally very good, but sometimes he relies on his teammates a bit too much in the d-zone.

He's signed for one 2 more KHL seasons.

Brilliant update - has he said anything about coming over to the NHL or if he intends to see out his contract? I hope he stays around in KHL at least a year or two so he can develop with plenty of minutes rather than play in AHL.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I think he'll honor his contract, because he said specifically that he's fine in playing in Russia and would only think of moving to the NA when he feels ready.
I also expect Kirill to be traded to a contending team if not next year, then the one after, because he stated that he wants to get a sniff of the playoffs, and Metallurg isn't likely to assemble a competitive roster due to their financial difficulties.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Coming off a draft +1 year comparable to Kucherov with what he did in the KHL and MHL, is there anything holding this guy back from potentially being as dominant as kucherov? He's an inch shorter at 5'10 but he is already close to 200 lbs which is very promising.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Coming off a draft +1 year comparable to Kucherov with what he did in the KHL and MHL, is there anything holding this guy back from potentially being as dominant as kucherov? He's an inch shorter at 5'10 but he is already close to 200 lbs which is very promising.

Unlike Kucherov, he's playmaker rather than goalscorer.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Kucherov was hands down the best prospect in his age group, worldwide(for sensible people)He was dominating everything on junior level, breaking records etc.

Kaprizov isn't quite that. He might develop and come close to Kucherov's level, but for now I would not plan the parade.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
nope, for me kuch ainec.

I agree with this. Kucherov and Gusev were ridiculous the year he was drafted. I think NHL scouts didn't know what to make of the level of play of the MHL at that point, since it was relatively new.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
This kid is really underrated. He's 19 only, and he's got better IQ, than most veterans. His hands and skating are alright as well, he just needs to improve his shot. But no doubts he's going to be a very good NHLer.

And please edit his team, he now plays for Salavat Yulaev Ufa.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Saw that he's got 2 assists in 2 games. When can we say he's a better prospect than Ovechkin was? :sarcasm:

Well, I think he's going to be next Kaprizov. He's pretty different from any previous Russian "next bigs". I don't think his figures will be pretty spectacular this season, but his "junior line" is already very important for Salavat, and I think Kaprizov is the best player on this line.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
has salavat only played 2 games or is there a delay updating info? its great kaprizov is picking up A's on the 3rd or 4th line. im hoping he will play so well the coach will move him to the 1st or 2nd line. i know thats unlikely. 2A in 2 games ! let her rip tater chip! (gas monkey garage richard rawlings saying)

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
In a vacuum what do you think it would take to acquire Kaprizov now? A mid 1st? Am I way off base?

which team are you hoping trades for him? hes our minnesota lotto ticket so it would take an overpayment to get him. unless im off my rocker i think he has the upside of being a consistent 30G sniper which the wild so desperately need. maybe even kane 2.0!

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
which team are you hoping trades for him? hes our minnesota lotto ticket so it would take an overpayment to get him. unless im off my rocker i think he has the upside of being a consistent 30G sniper which the wild so desperately need. maybe even kane 2.0!
I'm just wondering for fantasy hockey reasons ;)

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I think, in the end he'll be in top10 of that super-duper stacked 2015 draft.

I always like seeing his name on the first page of the prospect thread because last year I picked him with the last overall pick in my mock draft :laugh:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
thats too funny you picked him last. if memory serves he was picked #1 in the khl draft. how he fell to the 5th round is a mystery of the universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->