LW/RW Jesper Bratt - London Knights, OHL (2016, 162nd, NJD)

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
2016 pick but doesn't turn 20 until late next summer *July 30th... basically August...

Meaning...

Bratt and Hischier are both going to be 19 together for a full 7 months. Ughhh.... wow!

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Including preseason this is the sixth game I've seen him play this year and every time he was at least one of the three best players on the ice if not the best, it's the craziest thing I have seen considering he came out of nowhere. Now while I don't think he will keep this up, I mean this is two points a game, I haven't seen anything that would suggest this won't hold up, I think he'll be a factor all season.

Yea, obviously he's not going to sustain 2 ppg...but I saw a lot of sustainable habits that show he's a damn good hockey player/prospect. He has wheels, not afraid to use them...the puck was on his stick like a string tonight and I remember one instance where he held the line like a seasoned pro. I think he was dangerous at various times due to his play- and not because he was the beneficiary of some super poor play/puck luck- because you can't rely on that long-term(for lack of a better reference, Miles Wood is someone who I thought just had some puck luck tonight).

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Impressive player. Still not sure how he slipped to the 6th round.

Bratt always had all the flair of a player going in the higher rounds. Incredible fun player to watch all along. What scared scouts away was that he was small and had a bit of problem playing threw physical plays (who doesn´t at age 17 against men...). And many where worried that he created a lot with his speeds, dekes and plays - but was generating few points out of it. So some tought his decision making and instincts wasn´t there to go with his obvious skills. But at some times you could see a play with total awarness of the ice. So it was Jekyll and Hyde. Devils fans wont have to look longer than Tedenby to understand why some scouts where "afraid" of Bratt.

So him going late is all about a low risk high reward going better faster than anyone could think. Because over summer he´s gone from being cut from the WJC and ending up the 7th best scoring forward on an Second Tier Team in Sweden to looking like a great NHL player that put it all together and figured it out.

In rare circumstances it can actually be that some have a hockey mind greater than his level. And that playing with NHL:ers actually has him playing with players that think like him. And his playing style actually fits better for the speedy NHL of today than the Allsvenskan of today...

Also - all articles about going back to before the draft talks about teammates seeing him being the first to the training facility and the last to leave. He was at age 16-17 the first to arrive in the locker room, when he reached the senior team of AIK, practicing dekes while watching NHL highlights on the TV when the 2nd player arrived in the morning... That´s good signs. The ability to want to train all the time to reach your goals is the reason his here earlier than anyone could think. And to get a mental coach to learn how to perform every night and also to seek up an own physical coach at his age is impressive mature decisions. Seems to get got advice from home.

So, short answer: Really great pick by the Devils. He had the raw talents to be a 2nd round pick, but didn´t seem to get his offense together enough to warrant it considering his size. Devils win.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He fits the mold for what Shero and Castron have been looking for their first few drafts in NJ. Lots of speed and skill and they will take chances on guys in who maybe smaller or have other question marks but clearly have lots of skill and speed.

Reactions: ForeverJerseyGirl

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
His defensive awareness and ability to process the game for a 19 year old is unworldly.

The Tedenby references as a reason for his 6th round selection, I've seen them more than a few times, are extremely off base. They are literally at opposite ends of the spectrum. Tedenby might have been the dumbest player to come into New Jersey and Bratt maybe the smartest. Bratt at 19 also looks a lot stockier than Tedenby ever did.

There is no way that this just happened over night. Scouts had to just miss it or perhaps misinterpret his skill set. His decision making couldn't have possible just developed.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Tedenby didn't have the nose for the puck like this kid Bratt does, in fact very few players I have seen do, he's like a shark out there, he keeps circling and circling and comes from behind you when you think you are safe with the puck. It's uncanny.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Though he will likely slow down his PPG pace, I think the takeaway for me on why I think Bratt is the real deal are 3 things.

1. Hockey sense
2. Speed & Skill
3. Shiftiness

Kind of sounds like Gaudreau a bit doesn't it?

It is early, there will be ups and downs. But as long as Bratt possesses these 3 attributes. I don't see any reason to think he is not going to be a steal for the Devils.

Reactions: JMcLeaf

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Def one of my favourite players atm. Love the fact that he casually jumped from the Allsvenskan straight to the NHL haha

Reactions: Sthlmyote

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
The Tedenby references as a reason for his 6th round selection, I've seen them more than a few times, are extremely off base. They are literally at opposite ends of the spectrum. Tedenby might have been the dumbest player to come into New Jersey and Bratt maybe the smartest. Bratt at 19 also looks a lot stockier than Tedenby ever did.

There is no way that this just happened over night. Scouts had to just miss it or perhaps misinterpret his skill set. His decision making couldn't have possible just developed.

That he was picked in the 6th round hasn´t got anything to do with just Tedenby. That´s not what people (me at least...) are saying. 30/31 teams in the leauge have most probably already forgotten Tedenby. But Bratt was a low risk high reward kind of player about after the 4th round. Before that he at the time of the draft showed signs off not putting his abilitys together on the ice. Much as Tedenby. And as it´s a Devils prospect, Tedenby seems appriate to mention - as both are undersized, speedy wingers with nice hands. Tedenby was picked to high and many teams have learned to not chance on thoose kind of prospects to high. Therefore Bratt in the 6th round when he could have went 2nd round. And for every Bratt there are endless players that in their draft year looks like him that don´t put it all together.

He´s producing/looking better in the NHL than in Allsvenskan only 4 months apart. Bratt seemed to creat a ton of offense in Allsvenskan as well, both his seasons. But he didn´t get goals/assists out of it. Therefore, as with Tedenby, his deceision making has been questioned by scouts. Not something the scouts missed. It wasn´t on this level before. His work with the mental coach is the only thing that really seems to be the difference. And you are right. Bratt seems to hit the gym a lot more than Tedenby...

Tedenby didn't have the nose for the puck like this kid Bratt does, in fact very few players I have seen do, he's like a shark out there, he keeps circling and circling and comes from behind you when you think you are safe with the puck. It's uncanny.

Agreed. He in this short sample size seems perfect for the NHL of today.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Only 3 games in, but Bratt has been the best skater for the Devils this season and the 2nd best player behind Schneider. Whether it's the PK or trying to get the puck in the zone on the PP or 5 on 5, I already find myself feeling better when Bratt is on the ice. He's playing with a lot of confidence and makes so many smart decisions with the puck. Just amazing what he's been able to do so far.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I also think this "under sized" thing is being over played. You look at Bratt compared to his peers and he is not small especially for a 19 year old that is going to fill out.

I mean he certainly isn't Johnny Hockey, Tedenby or even Zuccarello small.

Not that it even matters

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Who needs a 1st OA when you've got Bratt? This is probably more a testament to how good Bratt has been but he's been much more impressive than Hischier so far.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I also think this "under sized" thing is being over played. You look at Bratt compared to his peers and he is not small especially for a 19 year old that is going to fill out.

Not that it even matters
I don't think it's being overplayed, he's definitely stronger than his draft year.

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN

Not that it even matters

And it's not like he shies away from physical contact, either. I remember at least a couple times last night where he laid his body into a Leafs player to finish his check. He has been phenomenal in almost every aspect of the game thus far.

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
Who needs a 1st OA when you've got Bratt? This is probably more a testament to how good Bratt has been but he's been much more impressive than Hischier so far.
I disagree.

Bratt has stolen some of the limelight from Hischier but he has in no way been "much more impressive". Hischier has also looked fantastic so far this season, just doesn't have the points to show for his hard work.

Watching these two dynamic young players is a real treat but you can see that Hischier has more potential than Bratt.

Bratt looks like he will be a good player while Hischier looks like he could be a superstar in the league one day.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That he was picked in the 6th round hasn´t got anything to do with just Tedenby. That´s not what people (me at least...) are saying. 30/31 teams in the leauge have most probably already forgotten Tedenby. But Bratt was a low risk high reward kind of player about after the 4th round. Before that he at the time of the draft showed signs off not putting his abilitys together on the ice. Much as Tedenby. And as it´s a Devils prospect, Tedenby seems appriate to mention - as both are undersized, speedy wingers with nice hands. Tedenby was picked to high and many teams have learned to not chance on thoose kind of prospects to high. Therefore Bratt in the 6th round when he could have went 2nd round. And for every Bratt there are endless players that in their draft year looks like him that don´t put it all together.

He´s producing/looking better in the NHL than in Allsvenskan only 4 months apart. Bratt seemed to creat a ton of offense in Allsvenskan as well, both his seasons. But he didn´t get goals/assists out of it. Therefore, as with Tedenby, his deceision making has been questioned by scouts. Not something the scouts missed. It wasn´t on this level before. His work with the mental coach is the only thing that really seems to be the difference. And you are right. Bratt seems to hit the gym a lot more than Tedenby...

Agreed. He in this short sample size seems perfect for the NHL of today.

Agreed with all of this. The talent level thing is real - you see this with most really high IQ guys who can skate. But another factor that might be in play is the smaller ice surface. On big ice his anticipation and quick processing isn't rewarded all that much. A faster game on smaller ice amplifies the importance of those attributes.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
This guy is going to be a special player... blows my mind that he's playing like an elite NHLer after putting up less than 0.5 PPG in Allsvenskan last year. Has any player ever come out of relative oblivion and made such an immediate mark? Unfathomable

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö

Not that it even matters

I don't think it's being overplayed, he's definitely stronger than his draft year.

It ain´t so much a thing now at 19, but as Blender says it was when he was drafted. To explain why he was picked so low. And I think it matters. It´s a great thing. That he already has bulked up speaks of dedication. It won´t be an issue, because Bratt solved one of his weaknesses at the draft. Would be funny to know if he was on any other teams radar, or at least was interviewed by any.

Agreed with all of this. The talent level thing is real - you see this with most really high IQ guys who can skate. But another factor that might be in play is the smaller ice surface. On big ice his anticipation and quick processing isn't rewarded all that much. A faster game on smaller ice amplifies the importance of those attributes.

Agree that the ice surface is to his advantage. Thoose who processes the game fast, as u say, actually can have a harder time on big ice. Speed gets u time there, and it can be the enemy for some. When u no longer do your things on instinct, but u think of what u should do. A few off Bratts missed opportunities in Allsvenskan he by speed and dekes got himself a second or two on a break away or a 2-1. And that it didn´t result in a goal can be because it happened to slow, so instead of reacting he was thinking.

This guy is going to be a special player... blows my mind that he's playing like an elite NHLer after putting up less than 0.5 PPG in Allsvenskan last year. Has any player ever come out of relative oblivion and made such an immediate mark? Unfathomable

We really are watching something special here. Even if it is a ridicilous small sample, but it´s not only that he got lucky a few times. He´s actully among the best players on the ice every game.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I can't think of anyone and I haven't seen anyone else find a comparable either.

I read last night there hasn't been a teenager drafted this late to even play in the NHL since 1995.

monsieurthibz

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal
When your primary quality is being defensively safe and sound, adding a few (!) points in your first couple of games in the NHL makes him look like a.. perfect player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad