LW/RW Anatoliy Golyshev - Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg, KHL (2016, 95th, NYI)

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
He should not be a UFA. He is draft eligible unless I am missing something.

Viktor Arvidsson was drafted by Nashville at the same age (21) in the 2014 draft.

snizzbone*

He should not be a UFA. He is draft eligible unless I am missing something.

Viktor Arvidsson was drafted by Nashville at the same age (21) in the 2014 draft.

You can still be drafted, but you are also a UFA if not signed by age 20 if you have not been drafted.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
He's a UFA.

TLN did an article on him today - http://theleafsnation.com/2016/2/28...o-might-be-the-world-s-best-unsigned-prospect

Hope the Leafs grab him.

As I understand it, he's draft eligible for one more season. It wouldn't be the first time a fan run site got the rules incorrect (my keeper league got into an argument about Henrik Tommernes back in the day since once random blog claimed he was a free agent but he ended up being drafted in the 7th round in 2011).

European trained players have an extra year of draft eligibility as defined by the CBA.

Link for CBA: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

"8.4 Eligibility for Claim.
(a) All Players age 18 or older are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:

(i) a Player on the Reserve List of a Club, other than as a try-out;

(ii) a Player who has been claimed in two prior Entry Drafts;

(iii) a Player who previously played in the League and became a Free Agent
pursuant to this Agreement;

(iv) a Player age 21 or older who: (A) has not been selected in a previous
Entry Draft and (B) played hockey for at least one season in North
America when he was age 18, 19, or 20 and shall be eligible to enter the
League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d); and

(v) a Player age 22 or older who has not been selected in a previous Entry
Draft and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free
Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d). "

Golyshev is 21, so he would fall under clause v as I understand it. It essentially boils down to birth year. 1994 born (and earlier) Europeans would be eligible to sign. 1995 born Euros are eligible one more time in 2016.

Couple examples:

As previously mentioned, Viktor Arvidsson (April 1993) was drafted by Nashville in the 4th round of the 2014 Draft. That was his fourth and final year of draft eligibility. He would have first been eligible in 2011 (Arvidsson is 10 days older than Mika Zibanejad).

But on the other side of the fence, Jiri Sekac (June 1992) was able to sign with Montreal in 2014 because he was no longer draft eligible.

At last year's draft, Colorado took Andrei Mironov (July 1994) in the 4th round. That would lead me to believe that Golyshev (February 1995) would be eligible to be picked this year.

It's not unusual to see a couple 21 year old European players get selected.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I might be wrong, but I don't think Europeans can be signed while still draft eligible like NA players too.

Vlad Tkachev and Tomas Hyka being the most recent examples of this.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I might be wrong, but I don't think Europeans can be signed while still draft eligible like NA players too.

Vlad Tkachev and Tomas Hyka being the most recent examples of this.

They can sign as long as they played the entire previous season in North America. San Jose signed Latvian forward Nikita Jevpalovs (September 1994) last year. He had played the previous few years in the Q. Just a slight distinction between "NA" and "NA trained."

Tkachev wasn't allowed to be signed since he split the previous year between Russia/North America. Hyka wasn't allowed since he had spent the entire previous year in Europe. The Flyers misread the clause and thought he could sign him since Hyka was scheduled to play in the Q.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
They can sign as long as they played the entire previous season in North America. San Jose signed Latvian forward Nikita Jevpalovs (September 1994) last year. He had played the previous few years in the Q. Just a slight distinction between "NA" and "NA trained."

Tkachev wasn't allowed to be signed since he split the previous year between Russia/North America. Hyka wasn't allowed since he had spent the entire previous year in Europe. The Flyers misread the clause and thought he could sign him since Hyka was scheduled to play in the Q.

Yeah. Sorry. I should have said players playing in Europe instead of Europeans.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
All of that to say....
Will he get drafted? If so, what round?

Entirely depends on whether NHL teams can figure out when they can get him to come.

If they both a) like him and b) think he will rip up his KHL contract, he might go early.

I would not underrate the Panarin effect. Teams will look for another Panarin in this draft. They'd be dumb not to.

But if Golyshev is stuck in Russia another few years, most will pass until the mid-to-late rounds. I think.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
#47 on Corey Pronman's list: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/top-100-prospects-2016-nhl-draft/story?id=39091742

Golyshev had a breakout season as a 20-year-old, as he scored the fourth-most goals in the KHL and carried his team to a postseason appearance. He's a gifted all-around offensive player who displays plus hands, good in-tight coordination and overall creativity. His best tool is arguably his shot, as he can wire chances home from the circles with consistency. He isn't as dynamic a skater as you'd like for a 5-foot-8 player, but he is certainly above-average and has an aggressive element to how he plays, and that lets him play up past his size. Although it seems like he's one of the more NHL-ready players on the list, one reason I'm not ranking Golyshev too highly is that his KHL deal runs through 2019, and there is no Russian transfer agreement.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Friedman thinks he'll be drafted

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-remembering-greatness/

29. Another interesting overseas story to watch at the draft: that of Anatoli Golyshev. He had 44 points in 56 games for KHL Yekaterinburg. He would be a free agent if he was 22. But he’s 21 and hasn’t spent at least one season in North America. There’s some buzz. He’s not going in the first-round, but he’ll be a second-day guy and teams are playing coy

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Any chance this guy can come over this season? He is 21 so not like he needs seasoning...

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Surprised that the Leafs didn't grab him but glad.

Kid has some great company with his accomplishments, high hopes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad