LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, FEL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2003
KW
Nevermind a weakness, his skating is looking like a legit strength now. Seems like it'll be a real dogfight for the 2nd forward picked, as Puljujarvi, Laine and Tkachuk all look really strong, I can see them going in any order.

The dogfight is for 2nd overall. Don't think Chychrun has it locked down at all. Laine would sure look good flanking Nylander or Marner. A guy can dream. We prolly won't be drafting high enough to get Laine.

jarnov

Sep 24, 2012
Due to injuries of Haapala and Kuusela Laine is going to play in Tappara's 1st line tonight against HPK. The game is on in 10 minutes. Laine will play with #24 Jani Lajunen and #19 Veli-Matti Savinainen.

#11 Jonatan Tanus will play his first FEL game. As a junior Tanus played with Sasha Barkov and was considered a good prospect.

Last edited:

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
i love laine, hes puljujarvi minus that explosive speed, though he still skates very well for his size

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
i love laine, hes puljujarvi minus that explosive speed, though he still skates very well for his size

He's more creative and has a more accurate shot than Puljujärvi though which is why it's disputable who's better than other. Puljujärvi is the safer option but Laine's ceiling is crazy

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The more I watch Laine the more I love him. I think he is definitely in the conversation for 2nd overall right now. Really looking forward to the WJC's.

Teukka

Jul 17, 2007
Will he and Pulju play on the same line together? Or the same PP? Ugh, I'm giddy
They have played on the same line before, but thankfully that seems to be in the past. While the line did produce in the U18s, Laine basically ate away Pulju's strengths. They're too similar of a player type to be exactly complementary. I'm also fairly certain that they'll be on separate PP units, because they play that part of the game very similarly and probably benefit the team more this way (two very formidable PP units is better than one unnecessarily stacked one and "the rest").

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Just scored his first non-wrister goal in Liiga. Hard onetimer slapshot to the top shelf from Ovechkin zone.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
That's the Selanne zone. But keeping your stick in the air is ovechkin-school style to operate there, Teemu kept his stick on the ice and used snapshot + wanted the puck to hit the back pad of the goalie and bump into the zone.

Couldn't resist bringing Selänne in the message. Great goal.

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Watched yesterday's game and was really disappointed at Tappara's management. They didn't play him NEARLY enough. Not sure what Laine's TOI was but it could and should have been better. Can't say he was invisible due to not even being on the ice too much. He should be playing 17+ mins a game at this moment instead of getting unregular shifts here and there.

Laine was a treat to watch on the powerplay. Just a dominant force. The way he can hold on to the puck and dictate the tempo while looking for the openings is delighting (he wasn't just randomly shooting on every opportunity). Doesn't seem to rush in on every chance anymore if he is off the place just to create a turnover. Could have had more points. He seems to have a very good hockey IQ and capable of very good and fast passing game. When he gets even stronger on the ice and adds a couple of steps he will be insanely good goal scorer and the very least a average to good two-way player.

Raymo

Jul 24, 2004
Tampere
Watched yesterday's game and was really disappointed at Tappara's management. They didn't play him NEARLY enough. Not sure what Laine's TOI was but it could and should have been better.
15:43 TOI, 2nd line wing with pp time. Thats not enough?

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
15:43 TOI, 2nd line wing with pp time. Thats not enough?

Tbh I thought it was even less but as I said I didn't check the TOI. Still it's not a lot either. Sure I'd guess it's close to average considered Laine is playing 2nd line. He didn't really appear much on the 3rd period when the minutes were closing in. Bother to check and compare to Puljujärvi's minutes (whole season included)?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Bother to check and compare to Puljujärvi's minutes (whole season included)?
To add to Raymo's numbers, Pulju got 13:42 last night.

And for what it's worth, there are about 100 forwards in Liiga who consistently get more than 15 minutes per game. (Roughly 70 who get 16 or more.) When you split that between 15 teams, you see that only six or seven players are enjoying minutes like that. Which gets us to a conclusion that while they're not workhorses, they get well enough what you'd expect a top-six forward to get.

(And I have to say that TOI is something you can check in less than two minutes from the Liiga site, so not bothering to do it yourself is not an excuse.)

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
To add to Raymo's numbers, Pulju got 13:42 last night.

And for what it's worth, there are about 100 forwards in Liiga who consistently get more than 15 minutes per game. (Roughly 70 who get 16 or more.) When you split that between 15 teams, you see that only six or seven players are enjoying minutes like that. Which gets us to a conclusion that while they're not workhorses, they get well enough what you'd expect a top-six forward to get.

(And I have to say that TOI is something you can check in less than two minutes from the Liiga site, so not bothering to do it yourself is not an excuse.)

Ha, perhaps not. Still, rather prefer watching hockey than stat hunt on players, especially on prospects. Most 'non-professionals' who comment and judge these guys base their opinions on hearsay or checking point totals from official league sites. A bit suprised seeing Laine eating more minutes than Puljujärvi.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Ha, perhaps not. Still, rather prefer watching hockey than stat hunt on players, especially on prospects. Most 'non-professionals' who comment and judge these guys base their opinions on hearsay or checking point totals from official league sites.
Watching nothing but stats is of course a fool's errand. But they can be a powerful complementary tool to see if the numbers support those gut feelings you get while watching the games. Especially since checking them up is not time-consuming at all.

A bit suprised seeing Laine eating more minutes than Puljujärvi.
Different teams, different game plans. Perhaps it's nothing but an indicator of Kärpät having better depth.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Absolutely dominating vs SaiPa but he seems to have trouble hitting the net, 11 shots but only 4 on goal.

He needs better linemates, Dixon is awful and Laine needs to do everything by himself. Hopefully Ilomäki and Haapala are back soon.

SpinninRodIntoArmpit

Apr 8, 2015
Absolutely dominating vs SaiPa but he seems to have trouble hitting the net, 11 shots but only 4 on goal.

He needs better linemates, Dixon is awful and Laine needs to do everything by himself. Hopefully Ilomäki and Haapala are back soon.

But Dixon has played rather well recently. On top of that Laine gets fed by Kuusela on PP, so it's not all about his ES-center. Dixon could've had like 0+2 tonight with mediocre finishing from whoever he was playing with (the lines were a mess after Peltola's injury, and Laine had fourth-liners playing on his right wing every second shift).

But can confirm that it's fun to watch Laine carrying the puck. He's winning like 90 % of 1 on 1s by just deking through opponents. The problem with hitting the net is that he's always going for corners, so every shot of his that is on goal is a high quality shot in this league. I've also liked that recently he's shown development in defense and intensivity. In some ways his game looks like Malkin's when Geno was dominating the preseason Tampere cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad