LW Patrik Laine (2016, 2nd, WPG) XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Back pedaling in full effect.

Are people really saying the hype was not that high? LOL

We are almost on thread what 14? 15? He has more threads than McDaivd. He's been compared to Lemeiux, Ovi, Selanne, he's been said to be easily better than Matthews, who is only going first in the draft due to playing C.

Some have him as a 50 goal scorer in the NHL.

It was only at part 2 before the WJC's. Laine vs Matthews debate has been going on for about 20000 posts after that.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Finland and Russia are friends.

In what world?

Btw, there probably wouldn't been 14 Laine threads if certain Leafs accounts wouldn't have been here. One Leafs fan posting can easily make a 50-100 post argument. Imagine a Leafs fan posting every fourth post. That's what it is. The hype was certainly high, there are homers on both sides, clearly as we've seen.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

We are almost on thread what 14? 15? He has more threads than McDaivd. He's been compared to Lemeiux, Ovi, Selanne, he's been said to be easily better than Matthews, who is only going first in the draft due to playing C.

Every 2nd post is from a Leafs fan so yes we have nice amount of threads.

His style has been compared to those guys, shouldn't be that crazy.

Yes there are few who will take the hyping over the top but overall outside of them it's pretty good. You can't take 3-4 fans and make it sound like everyone are saying that or expecting.
There just happen to be always a x fan who takes style comparison and turns it into ceiling projection like they hadn't read the post. That always creates a mess here.

Saying he's AINEC to Matthew is crazy, I think skill wise they are tied and have the potential to be among the best forwards in the game, they are just so damm different that they are difficult to compare.
But we've heard same level comments with Matthews and his fans.

Last edited:

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014

Why do Leafs fan come here, do downplay Laine? Cant they just let people enjoy their prospect ?

MODS! plz to your job also here, as you removed posts from Matthews topic

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
In what world?

Btw, there probably wouldn't been 14 Laine threads if certain Leafs accounts wouldn't have been here. One Leafs fan posting can easily make a 50-100 post argument. Imagine a Leafs fan posting every fourth post. That's what it is. The hype was certainly high, there are homers on both sides, clearly as we've seen.
I agree. This hate on Laine by Leafers gets me even more pumped for Laine. It's as if those people are insecure about their pick.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
The bolded simply isn't true. Go back in the thread to before the tournament started. People were talking about him breaking tournament scoring records.

Laine is a FANTASTIC prospect and he's going to be a top NHL player but his fans (both Finnish and Jets) have been his worst enemy on HFboards with the unrealistic exceptions that have been put on the poor kid.
Most people who criticize in this thread aren't actually criticizing Laine, they're criticizing the ridiculous stuff said on his behalf.

Am unsure who it is that appointed a few Toronto fans as the arbiters of what can or cannot be said about a Finnish player that is a Winnipeg Jets prospect? His career will not be defined by what some people say about him on a message-board, FYI, but rather will be decided by his actions on the ice over time. How those play out relative to the expectations of a few dozen hockey fans on a message-board is pretty much meaningless - just so you know.

Why does it apparently offend you that some Finnish fans have high expectations of a kid that is a national celebrity in his country? BTW, Winnipeg fans will be patient with Laine, as we've waited patiently for Scheifele to become one of the better players in the league, so any high expectations displayed here by a few people are pretty much moot.

You should probably come up with a new angle, because the one you keep repeating is really tired.

Leaf19

Dec 25, 2013
I agree. This hate hate on Laine by Leafers gets me more pumped for Laine. It's as if other people are insecure about their pick.

Insecure about picking Matthews? I don't think so :naughty: I think most of the Leafs posts you see are just letting out steam after 2 months of Laine hyperbole following the WJC. At one point, probably 2-3 weeks before the draft, there were many "Laine > Matthews AINEC" posts, not just the 3-4 like it's been asserted here. Granted, most of those guys have cooled it down a notch since then but it's hard to forget.

Although, I agree that the Matthews vs Laine debate in these threads has gone on far too long. Leafs got an amazing prospect, so did Winnipeg. We should leave it at that and use other prospects/points to discuss each respective prospect without comparing them directly.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

People like you are part of the reason it's at 14 threads.

The people who have said he is easily better than Matthews number the same that think Matthews is as good as Kopitar right now, but with better offense. So a few.

Projecting a #2 OA who's known as a goal scorer as a potential 50 goal scorer is over hyping?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Why do Leafs fan come here, do downplay Laine? Cant they just let people enjoy their prospect ?

MODS! plz to your job also here, as you removed posts from Matthews topic

The irony of the leaf fan calling out how many posts are here because he is overhyped is unbelievable. The reason there are so many posts is because everyone has to defend the player to the droves of leaf fans putting down every single prospect or player that isnt a leaf.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Insecure about picking Matthews? I don't think so :naughty: I think most of the Leafs posts you see are just letting out steam after 2 months of Laine hyperbole following the WJC. At one point, probably 2-3 weeks before the draft, there were many "Laine > Matthews AINEC" posts, not just the 3-4 like it's been asserted here. Granted, most of those guys have cooled it down a notch since then but it's hard to forget.

Although, I agree that the Matthews vs Laine debate in these threads has gone on far too long. Leafs got an amazing prospect, so did Winnipeg. We should leave it at that and use other prospects/points to discuss each respective prospect without comparing them directly.

Anyone that says they know who will be the better player when this is all said and done is delusional. Both are incredible prospects and players that have 12 to 15 years to prove how good they are going to be. I dont see why every thread has to be a matthews pissing match. Why not just enjoy the incredible player rather than put down everyone else?

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
I agree. This hate on Laine by Leafers gets me even more pumped for Laine. It's as if those people are insecure about their pick.

Same here. And while Matthews is great, it's hard to like him after seeing one Leaf fan after another bashing Laine and saying nonsense for pages. I know when I'm reading objective stuff or posts where criticism is due. But I also know when it's not and I don't even know what these people have in their lives. To post here negative comments day after day, when it's not due must mean problems behind the keyboard.

For example the Lemieux stylistic comparisons. It's so funny that a lot of NA posters think it means a projection or something, or are these all time greats untouchable for stylistic comparisons? It's a question of whether to laugh or cry, when I see someone laughing at the comparison. I don't really care about the comparison itself, but that people refuse to accept is pretty funny. I could think of somewhere around 10 users here who have been terrorizing Laine thread every now and then. If someone didn't know about the player and came here to see the Leafs posters, they would think a very different player than Laine is. No wonder they have such a group of haters if they post this garbage elsewhere too. Leafs have been a HMV (Finns know this) team for me for a few years, and know it's almost annoying. That's how fans can change the game, I guess. I will enjoy every moment when the Flyers sweep them in the regular season. Not that I'm a hater, but some of you guys are pretty lost.

Laine has not been to his best yet in the World Cup, that shows up when you look at the stats. He has shown flashes, and could have a goal already if things were different with this team. Not concerned at all.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The irony of the leaf fan calling out how many posts are here because he is overhyped is unbelievable. The reason there are so many posts is because everyone has to defend the player to the droves of leaf fans putting down every single prospect or player that isnt a leaf.

Ridiculous narrative. I would be one of the most active posters in this debacle and in 10 years I have posted less total. Including this thread. Then some have posted in like 6 months total.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Good argument.

Originally my point was to make a weak post because some of the posters goal here is boring(not you).

But honestly I expect Laine to be better player, I think he is better today already and is 2 years younger and him to be pretty damm good player when he hits 20y.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ridiculous narrative. I would be one of the most active posters in this debacle and in 10 years I have posted less total. Including this thread. Then some have posted in like 6 months total.

Did you read the thread or not? How is it a ridiculous narrative when the proof is staring you in the face. Look at the post by leafsrockforbabcock.....

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014

and as he were complaining about the same thing in Mathewss topic

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I found this and it's one of these things that really annoyed me even when watching live:

https://streamable.com/ykqk

Aho did well to receive the pass and generate the 3 on 2, but here a pass to Barkov enables a perfect one-timer green shot opportunity to Laine(scores around 30% of the time on average if it's on goal, likely significantly higher for someone with a shot like Laine's). Instead Aho does whatever and loses the puck. Several other times a similar opportunity existed and he made a terrible shot. Really annoyed by his play last few games.

Laine actually has been in position for similar stuff several times but there's rarely been a good pass. Of course, he did miss a few opportunities in 6v5 but plays like these really should happen and almost none did in 5v5 all tournament long. Barkov I have faith does have the ability to pass to Laine if Aho passes to Barkov here.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I found this and it's one of these things that really annoyed me even when watching live:

https://streamable.com/ykqk

Aho did well to receive the pass and generate the 3 on 2, but here a pass to Barkov enables a perfect one-timer green shot opportunity to Laine(scores around 30% of the time on average if it's on goal, likely significantly higher for someone with a shot like Laine's). Instead Aho does whatever and loses the puck. Several other times a similar opportunity existed and he made a terrible shot. Really annoyed by his play last few games.

Laine actually has been in position for similar stuff several times but there's rarely been a good pass. Of course, he did miss a few opportunities in 6v5 but plays like these really should happen and almost none did in 5v5 all tournament long. Barkov I have faith does have the ability to pass to Laine if Aho passes to Barkov here.

Bud, one timers on the fly 5v5 on North American ice are not as easy as you're making it out to be.

If he dropped it back to Barkov, players like Ekholm and Karlsson can close gaps like that.

Laine missed a Brutal one timer himself in a much better position last game, things like this happen.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Craig Custance. Heard he is a reliable reporter. Too bad this is for subscribers. Would love to read why NHL veterans are comparing Laine to NHL greats.

It is my legal understanding that it falls under fair use to citate a short excerp or two, if one has access.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Holy crap this guy is overrated. I'd bet anyone he will never score 50 goals in a season or be anywhere close to Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->