LW Patrik Laine (2016, 2nd, WPG) XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I am not speaking about the expectations for him in this tournament. I am talking about the hype in general. He is the most overhyped Finnish prospect ever. By a large margin. For reference Barkov and Granlund were hyped, but their hype did not take measures to the point it became irritating.

If it's so irritating, don't read the thread.

It's fairly easy to ignore the posters who over-hype Laine if you actually make an effort to.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
lol wut

22 games 13 pts as a 19 y/o isnt too shabby

He's 20 today? and he has 13 points in his NHL career.
He's going to be most likely a beauty but why would Laine develop into worse player, has Laine already hit his ceiling?
Laine is better prospect than Nylander is today and he's 2 years youngers.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I rarely do anymore, unfortunately. Which proves my point.

It proves your point that you get irritated, yes.

I don't like the ridiculous over hype posts on Laine either, because it's just going to end up as fodder for bitter posters, but again, it's usually the same few guys and it's fairly easy to ignore.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
William was sensational that one u18 wjc vs finland.

You know it was u-18 :help:

Teemu pulkkinen, Toni Rajala and Mikael Granlund has been also fantastic in U-18 ( All 3 of them having more than 2 PPG )
William has 1,58...

ROFL... Even Lauri Korpikoski has higher PPG, than Nylander

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I am not speaking about the expectations for him in this tournament. I am talking about the hype in general. He is the most overhyped Finnish prospect ever. By a large margin. For reference Barkov and Granlund were hyped, but their hype did not take measures to the point it became irritating.

Granlund was a real prospect messiah in his time too.

So was Saku Koivu actually. He had like 50 elite NHL games to start his career, and his legend was pretty outsized to his real contributions ever since.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland

So was Saku Koivu actually. He had like 50 elite NHL games to start his career, and his legend was pretty outsized to his real contributions ever since.
I think their size stood in the way.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki

Blasphemy for you to belittle a warrior like Saku Koivu! ;)

In his defense his NHL career was seriously hampered by the achilles (?) injury he suffered in the sophomore year. At least that we are led to believe.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Blasphemy for you to belittle a warrior like Saku Koivu! ;)

In his defense his NHL career was seriously hampered by the achilles (?) injury he suffered in the sophomore year. At least that we are led to believe.

No, that's true. Koivu had a very hard time with his health issues.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
At least Laine didn't get his face printed into stamp just because he scored one beautiful goal.

Neither of those players scored as important goals for their teams as Laine did. At least for a Tappara fan last year seemed unbelievable. Not that we got one of the most talented kids in our lineup, we also got to witness him finally breaking the 3 year's pain of losing in finals in a row, scoring the clutch goal every god damn time it seemed not possible.

I don't know how it looked to those guys whose team Laine scored against but for a fan like me, it was all surreal. And to me, Laine definately earned most of his hype for his actions on the ice, not because he is cute or because he scored a lacrosse goal. People who shine up when the stakes are highest usually gets the biggest headlines.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
At least Laine didn't get his face printed into stamp just because he scored one beautiful goal.

Neither of those players scored as important goals for their teams as Laine did. At least for a Tappara fan last year seemed unbelievable. Not that we got one of the most talented kids in our lineup, we also got to witness him finally breaking the 3 year's pain of losing in finals in a row, scoring the clutch goal every god damn time it seemed not possible.

I don't know how it looked to those guys whose team Laine scored against but for a fan like me, it was all surreal. And to me, Laine definately earned most of his hype for his actions on the ice, not because he is cute or because he scored a lacrosse goal. People who shine up when the stakes are highest usually gets the biggest headlines.

He had an incredible season and I am sure it felt great by Tappara fans. Hype from fans is a natural reaction even when it progresses to excessive levels, but when it evolves to a point where any discussion is fled with nothing but bickering and controversy, it becomes a distraction for those who want to actually discuss the player. I am a fan myself, I have no reason to hate the guy, but I am labeled as a hater around the boards because I constantly take exception to the overhype. Probably shouldn't and just ignore it instead, but I do for whatever reason.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
He's 20 today? and he has 13 points in his NHL career.
He's going to be most likely a beauty but why would Laine develop into worse player, has Laine already hit his ceiling?
Laine is better prospect than Nylander is today and he's 2 years youngers.

He was 19 when he got the points and he'll be 20 until May 2017 so he'll get a bunch more as a 20 y/o. I'm not trying to prove anything but at least if you're going to make an argument use a good argument and get your facts straight.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He was 19 when he got the points and he'll be 20 until May 2017 so he'll get a bunch more as a 20 y/o. I'm not trying to prove anything but at least if you're going to make an argument use a good argument and get your facts straight.

And again he's 20y today and has 13 points in the NHL.
Laine will have 2 seasons in the NHL as well before he turns 20y.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Back pedaling in full effect.

Are people really saying the hype was not that high? LOL

We are almost on thread what 14? 15? He has more threads than McDaivd. He's been compared to Lemeiux, Ovi, Selanne, he's been said to be easily better than Matthews, who is only going first in the draft due to playing C.

Some have him as a 50 goal scorer in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->