LW Patrik Laine (2016, 2nd, WPG) XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaiski

Dec 27, 2015
It was a bad desicion to not play Laine in the end, however you spin it. Maybe Marjamäki wanted to see more from the guys he put out on the ice. Maybe he didn't want to put too much pressure on Laine. You still want to win a game and he is this team's best chance at that situation. Team Finland rides or dies with Laine.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Let's try properly on topic here:

So Patrik Laine can score against an NHL goaltender. Who knew?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Patrik Laine's release and accuracy is something special. That was a Conn Smythe winning Goalie he beat there.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
It was a bad desicion to not play Laine in the end, however you spin it. Maybe Marjamäki wanted to see more from the guys he put out on the ice. Maybe he didn't want to put too much pressure on Laine. You still want to win a game and he is this team's best chance at that situation. Team Finland rides or dies with Laine.

They really needed a right handed shot on the left half board for one timers. Only other right handers I saw was Donskoi, who was in front of the net, and Risto, who was at the point. Laine would've been perfect there.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Patrik Laine's release and accuracy is something special. That was a Conn Smythe winning Goalie he beat there.

I thought he'd never be able to score from there on NHL goalies.

I also thought his "sluggish" skating would get exposed against NHL defensemen. He seemed fast enough zooming past the USA D to me.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Let's go back to "He's going to become a Selke candidate" instead, that'd be a more fun conversation.

It's not impossible. Not even really improbable. It really depends on how well develops his defensive game along with his offensive game because he isn't horrible defensively. There were 52 players who received Selke votes last year, 18 of which were wingers. He may or may not be a Selke Candidate some time.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It's not impossible. Not even really improbable. It really depends on how well develops his defensive game along with his offensive game because he isn't horrible defensively. There were 52 players who received Selke votes last year, 18 of which were wingers. He may or may not be a Selke Candidate some time.

Couldn't you say this about any player coming into the league who isn't horrible defensively? I guess its not even really improbable that about half the league could be a Selke candidate someday. Just seems like a silly thing to say. If you said this about Barkov when he was coming into the league then at least it might have made some sense.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Couldn't you say this about any player coming into the league who isn't horrible defensively? I guess its not even really improbable that about half the league could be a Selke candidate someday. Just seems like a silly thing to say. If you said this about Barkov when he was coming into the league then at least it might have made some sense.

Well in the last game at least, Laine vastly outperformed Barkov defensively and Barkov already is a Selke candidate.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

That's the point I'm trying to make. Someone else said he could be a Selke candidate and another person said don't get carried away. Carried away about what? There a 40+ Selke Candidates every season. I'd be more surprised if he isn't a Selke candidate at some point. I don't even think you'd have to say it about Barkov. Anyone who had any clue as to who he was knew he would be a Selke Candidate on numerous occasions, he'll probably even win one or two.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
That sort of a definition of a Selke candidate is a bit of a slippery slope, I mean, even Ovechkin technically is a Selke candidate since he was voted in the top 50 multiple times in his career.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That sort of a definition of a selke candidate is a bit of a slippery slope, I mean, even Ovechkin technically is a Selke candidate since he was voted in the top 50 multiple times in his career.

Well that's a Selke Candidate. There is a difference between a Selke Candidate, Finalist and Winner. Laine will very likely be a Selke Candidate at least once in his career. You people act like he has to be Bergeron to get there.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That's the point I'm trying to make. Someone else said he could be a Selke candidate and another person said don't get carried away. Carried away about what? There a 40+ Selke Candidates every season. I'd be more surprised if he isn't a Selke candidate at some point. I don't even think you'd have to say it about Barkov. Anyone who had any clue as to who he was knew he would be a Selke Candidate on numerous occasions, he'll probably even win one or two.

The point I was making is that is such a basic statement with nothing to even suggest it as being likely. As for there being 40 candidates, I don't think thats even close to the case. There's more like 5-10 candidates and a bunch of homer throw away picks from the sports writers. Not that it really matters, the Selke (along with a lot of awards) are based almost entirely on reputations around the league and so much bias goes into award voting.

I guess what I found strange about the claim was that it suggests that Laine could likely be one of the best defensive forwards in the game, based on essentially nothing. I could say I think McDavid is going to be one of the best defensive forwards in the game because he's fast and he's good at stealing pucks and reading the play. Doesn't make it true.

Maybe there's a disconnect between how I interpret a statement like that and what the poster actually meant, but I'm not entirely sure thats the case.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Is there any way to watch them calling out Marjamaki or them talk about Laine?

I'd have no idea how to find it afterwards, but that was exactly what they talked about. Hull said it's ridiculous Laine wasn't on the ice in the last minute(s) when he's got (quoting Hull) "the best shot in the World Cup".

Then the topic moved on from there to them praising Laine and Chelios said he looked like Lemieux out there with Hull agreeing.

I hope Ijuka gets a hold of a clip of them talking about it so he can put it as background sound to Laine's highlight video ;)

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Well that's a Selke Candidate. There is a difference between a Selke Candidate, Finalist and Winner. Laine will very likely be a Selke Candidate at least once in his career. You people act like he has to be Bergeron to get there.

Since there are new entries into these lists in every season, you're definition of a potential Selke contender pretty much becomes all-encompassing (including Laine, as you said). It's just diluting the traditional connotation of a Selke candidate or a contender, which would also extend for the Hart, Norris, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to now realize that the Leafs currently have 4 recent Selke candidates on the roster. :laugh:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Btw is this a proper hooking penalty call? How is that hooking? Or are the rules different in NHL? I've seen Laine do that kind of a defense numerous times in Liiga.

https://streamable.com/y8aj

Kind of a weak call, but they do sometimes call hooks in the NHL as soon as you get the stick into a guys hands, which Laine did at the very start when he engaged the player, but it was very brief. Its hard to say, NHL cracked down on obstruction for a few years following the 2005 lockout, but reverted back to letting a lot of it go. Now it seems like officiating in the NHL is so incredibly inconsistent that its hard to say what is and isn't a penalty anymore.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The point I was making is that is such a basic statement with nothing to even suggest it as being likely. As for there being 40 candidates, I don't think thats even close to the case. There's more like 5-10 candidates and a bunch of homer throw away picks from the sports writers. Not that it really matters, the Selke (along with a lot of awards) are based almost entirely on reputations around the league and so much bias goes into award voting.

I guess what I found strange about the claim was that it suggests that Laine could likely be one of the best defensive forwards in the game, based on essentially nothing. I could say I think McDavid is going to be one of the best defensive forwards in the game because he's fast and he's good at stealing pucks and reading the play. Doesn't make it true.

Maybe there's a disconnect between how I interpret a statement like that and what the poster actually meant, but I'm not entirely sure thats the case.

Well you might not think it's the case but it very much is. There are many Selke Candidates every season for a very long time now. Just because you think only the top 5-10 are actual Selke Candidates and the rest are not, again doesn't make it true. McDavid will likely be in the Selke voting most seasons as well. Still not sure why you are taking so much offence to it. If he said Selke finalist you could have a case. But he didn't so... oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->