LW Nikolaj Ehlers - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2014 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Im wondering if Ehlers keeps growing a little bit more. The skillset he had to develop to be successful as a smaller guy would be monstrously intriguing after a bit of height growth--would make for a pretty unique player. Kind of the NHL equivalent of Anthony Davis in the NBA, who played point guard his whole life until he suddenly grew like 10 inches in under 2 years and now plays PF/C with the mind of a PG.

He definitely grew about an inch during the year, might have a little room to grow but I wouldn't bank on anything more than another inch. Once he starts putting on more weight, he'll become even more effective in his playstyle and his skating ability.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
They do claim to be combine measurements, but all the ones I know by heart haven't changed at all in weight or height...I don't think those are new numbers.

Yup. That seems to be the old numbers realesed before the combine and not the numbers actually measured at the combine.

Northman77

Jun 12, 2013
Yup. That seems to be the old numbers realesed before the combine and not the numbers actually measured at the combine.

Yeah, thought so too - if it wasn't specifically stated in the article that they were from the combine I wouldn't have posted it. Think you are right though, someone took the booklet they gave out at the combine that had the previous measurements and mistook it for new information.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
If you're going by those combine media guide numbers for his height/weight they're not actually from the combine measurements. Anyhow, there's nothing wrong with a player not putting on weight over the course of a season. Most athletes lose weight over the season, but maybe it's a bit different for guys this age due to growth.

Now, many prospects put on weight between the end of their season and the combine as they train for it, but each player's dealing with different circumstances in terms of time frame, injury rehab, etc -- not to mention body type. Ehler's season went deeper than most. But again, as far as I know his combine measurements aren't known to the public. I'd be curious to see what his actual current height is. Too bad the NHL has the only combine that doesn't release all its information.

I wouldn't be surprised if he slipped out of the top 10 but I think it's more likely he goes in there. The thing is there are a few guys comparable to Ehlers like Nylander, Kapanen, and Fiala who all bring gamebreaking skating and puck skills with average/below-average frames. It's not hard to imagine several different teams keen on adding such a player would order their preferences among those guys quite differently. It's also not hard to imagine any one of those guys ending up the superior player.

Cheers mate, have been a little pre-occupied, so thought they had released new info.
Very dry with info...

I know it is normal for NHL players to loose weight during a season, but I don't think it is for a small 18 year old like Ehlers. But anywho, we have no idea what he weighs so no matter :)

I have said this all the time, and it's not that im not positive, I just have a hunch Ehlers will slip...

Bagge: I don't see why it's not positive? :) it's pure speculation.

Back on topic:

I just found it curious that no teams have posted any interviews with Ehlers, he seems like the only top 10 guy totally missing.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Cheers mate, have been a little pre-occupied, so thought they had released new info.
Very dry with info...

I know it is normal for NHL players to loose weight during a season, but I don't think it is for a small 18 year old like Ehlers. But anywho, we have no idea what he weighs so no matter :)

I have said this all the time, and it's not that im not positive, I just have a hunch Ehlers will slip...

Bagge: I don't see why it's not positive? :) it's pure speculation.

Back on topic:

I just found it curious that no teams have posted any interviews with Ehlers, he seems like the only top 10 guy totally missing.

I'd bet on him staying in the top 10, and I have a hunch he sneaks into top 5.

Ace88*

That's what i think, too. My gut says NYI takes him at 5 and we watch Drouin-Stamkos and Ehlers-Tavares rip apart the East rather soon

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Ehlers going top 5? I'd be extremely surprised by that. I love the guy but I think he's a safe bet to go around 6-10

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Cheers...

Weird, he must have had a sub-par combine, and by the looks of it, not one single gram of weight put on over the season.

I have a feeling I am right when I say he will slip out of the top 10.

As long as he's there at # 9 I will trust Chevy to do the right thing and select him.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
If Florida drops down a few spots (ie to 3rd or 4th) that really increases Ehlers chances of going top 5 imho.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
First thing I noticed is that they have him listed at 5'11/176, which is a great sign! I've seen him listed some places at 6'0, so perhaps the whole "size" issue might start fading away.

FWIW, the article is from April. So who knows what his current numbers are.

Rick M

Jun 8, 2014
First thing I noticed is that they have him listed at 5'11/176, which is a great sign! I've seen him listed some places at 6'0, so perhaps the whole "size" issue might start fading away.

The size thing is overblown. Have you seen him play. I go to a fair number of games in Charlottetown
and Ehlers is the most exciting prospect I've recently seen (and that includes Drouhin). He is blazingly fast and has hands to match his skating. He's the gamebreaker in this year's draft and he had the best +/- in the CHL. He also really sees the passing lanes and is unselfish. In other words I'd much prefer him over Nylander as he has none of the question marks (e.g. no concerns over willingness to play defence, selfishness, perimeter player, etc.)

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Size can be a concern in that he doesn't shy away from the physical aspects of the game. He has no issue going to the corners or in front of the net and he loves to cut to the middle on the rush. If he bulks up, and I expect he will, he'll be fine. If he doesn't, he could be in trouble

Rick M

Jun 8, 2014
Size can be a concern in that he doesn't shy away from the physical aspects of the game. He has no issue going to the corners or in front of the net and he loves to cut to the middle on the rush. If he bulks up, and I expect he will, he'll be fine. If he doesn't, he could be in trouble

I agree but expect that he'll play around 190 lbs. like Drouhin. He's pretty good at avoiding hits and knows what is going on around him. I also saw him avoiding headhunters in the Q.

Rick M

Jun 8, 2014
How does he compare to Drouin

They share a lot of similarities in their ability to stickhandle and spot open teammates. I think Ehlers will be a better finisher and I think he's an even faster skater (comparisons to Bure, Kane, etc. are not far fetched as he's truly electrifying). He never takes a shift off and if he loses the puck he simply goes and gets it back. His +65 stat for the season looks like it should be a typo but it isn't. Though listed as a left winger, he lines up on the right side pretty often too and can play point on the PP. Quite a versatile player.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
They share a lot of similarities in their ability to stickhandle and spot open teammates. I think Ehlers will be a better finisher and I think he's an even faster skater (comparisons to Bure, Kane, etc. are not far fetched as he's truly electrifying). He never takes a shift off and if he loses the puck he simply goes and gets it back. His +65 stat for the season looks like it should be a typo but it isn't. Though listed as a left winger, he lines up on the right side pretty often too and can play point on the PP. Quite a versatile player.

Any chance they try him at center down the line like they did with Drouin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad