LW Michael Dal Colle (2014, 5th, NYI)

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I really like this response - actually puts things into perspective with the player.
I like Tkachuk, but it is safe to say he will have big drop in production (I doubt similar to MDC's in Oshawa, but still significant) if/when Dvorak and Marner leave. By no means am I slagging the player, or saying he is a product.

It doesn't mean that type of player is not useful, or not NHL calibre. They are, what they are. A compliment to a big time center and can easily be the straw that stirs the drink. They need to find a niche. Someone like Kunitz has pride himself on being a niche player (credit to him). If you are expecting these types to drive a line, step up when going gets tough and do anything more than complimentary - you will likely be disappointed.

I'd be more than happy if MDC is a complimentary player as long as he produces. As stated numerous times in this thread, he's basically destined to be JT's left wing. JT has been know to produce with players not as talented as MDC, so if he becomes anything like JVR, I'll be thrilled since that's the exact type of player we need. I'd hope he ends up better than Chris Kunitz.

JT's projected long term right wing will either be Strome or Ho-Sang, and they are guys that can produce their own offense. If JT and Strome/Ho-Sang create the offense that MDC can finish, we have ourselves a dangerous forward group.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'd be more than happy if MDC is a complimentary player as long as he produces. As stated numerous times in this thread, he's basically destined to be JT's left wing. JT has been know to produce with players not as talented as MDC, so if he becomes anything like JVR, I'll be thrilled since that's the exact type of player we need. I'd hope he ends up better than Chris Kunitz.

JT's projected long term right wing will either be Strome or Ho-Sang, and they are guys that can produce their own offense. If JT and Strome/Ho-Sang create the offense that MDC can finish, we have ourselves a dangerous forward group.

I was hesitant in mentioning Kunitz in the same breath as JvR, Tkachuk, Dal Colle. My main reason was to use the 'niche' reference. A player that has qualities that allows him to succeed with good players - is still a vital, useful thing. For MDC, it is all about finding that niche, whether it's with Tavares or Barzal etc. To me it's hard to say, I can picture him on JT's wing one second and down in the AHL the next. His ability to make an impression is clear by his WJ cuts - so it isn't clear that he looks good with good guys, all the time.

I've heard that he doesn't prepare as well as most, and relies on his natural ability before putting in the extra work to get better. It can be tough to teach work ethic, but maybe the jump to pro will spark some better habits.

As I said, I am really looking forward to his progression. If you go back on my mocks from 2014 - I was really high on him, so there is no hate, just a bit skeptic on his development post draft.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I said this in the beginning of the year and still stand by it. His play style reminds me A LOT of Alex Killorn, but I think MDC has better offensive tools and IQ (which will mesh well with Tavares, hopefully).

I think he'll probably end up being a 25 G, 30 A guy with some 30 goal seasons sprinkled in as well as some years with higher assist totals.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
I see it the same way. I also see Tkachuk as the 2016 draft equivalent. Basically a perfect complimentary player, but doesn't have the hockey IQ to really drive his own offence. More of a right place at the right time type of guy. A JVR-type for example. Lucky for him, however, he is going to be in NYI with many talented players to drive his line.

I disagree with this. Dal Colle is a terrific playmaker and an intelligent player. If there is an attribute of his that will limit his ability to drive an NHL offense it will be his lack of strength on his skates and ability to play along the boards, not his hockey IQ.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I disagree with this. Dal Colle is a terrific playmaker and an intelligent player. If there is an attribute of his that will limit his ability to drive an NHL offense it will be his lack of strength on his skates and ability to play along the boards, not his hockey IQ.

Well there is different hockey IQ. I said he doesn't have the IQ to drive plays, but he does have the IQ to be in the right place at the right time. I am by no means calling him a dumb player, or criticizing his usefulness. I am, however, comparing him to a guy like JVR, a potential 60 point player that is limited when he isn't carried by a more creative player, who is most effective as a complimentary piece. I see Tkachuk the same way, and next year when Dvorak and Marner are gone, Tkachuk will have the same issues as Dal Colle until dealt to a better team.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Well there is different hockey IQ. I said he doesn't have the IQ to drive plays, but he does have the IQ to be in the right place at the right time. I am by no means calling him a dumb player, or criticizing his usefulness. I am, however, comparing him to a guy like JVR, a potential 60 point player that is limited when he isn't carried by a more creative player, who is most effective as a complimentary piece. I see Tkachuk the same way, and next year when Dvorak and Marner are gone, Tkachuk will have the same issues as Dal Colle until dealt to a better team.

I understand what you are saying and I would love to have a JVR type player so I don't think that is an insult to him. I do believe, however, that Dal Colle gets inappropriately cast as a simpler player than he is because highlights of him always just show him sniping from the slot or putting in rebounds around the net. But in reality he is a superb playmaker and passer. People forget that he was voted by the OHL coaches as the 2nd best playmaker behind Sam Bennett his draft year.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I understand what you are saying and I would love to have a JVR type player so I don't think that is an insult to him. I do believe, however, that Dal Colle gets inappropriately cast as a simpler player than he is because highlights of him always just show him sniping from the slot or putting in rebounds around the net. But in reality he is a superb playmaker and passer. People forget that he was voted by the OHL coaches as the 2nd best playmaker behind Sam Bennett his draft year.

Playmaker's can still be passengers, just as goal scorers can still drive the play.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I said this in the beginning of the year and still stand by it. His play style reminds me A LOT of Alex Killorn, but I think MDC has better offensive tools and IQ (which will mesh well with Tavares, hopefully).

I think he'll probably end up being a 25 G, 30 A guy with some 30 goal seasons sprinkled in as well as some years with higher assist totals.

You won't find a bigger Alex Killorn fan than me, but Killorn is at best a 2nd line LW. I'm hoping for 35-35 type seasons from MDC regularly at around his third season.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
You won't find a bigger Alex Killorn fan than me, but Killorn is at best a 2nd line LW. I'm hoping for 35-35 type seasons from MDC regularly at around his third season.

Those are pretty lofty expectations, considering the only Islander to eclipse 70 points in the past 5 years has been John Tavares.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Playmaker's can still be passengers, just as goal scorers can still drive the play.

two main things could lead to dal colle becoming a passenger: poor skating and an unwillingness to engage physically.

him becoming a "passenger" will have nothing to do with anything else.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

You should probably temper your expectations then. Guys who Dal Colle projects to produce similar to (Paciaretty, Ryan, Neal, etc.) aren't even 35-35 guys regularly. Heck, the best of the bunch (Corey Perry) doesn't regularly produce 35-35.

In this day and age of low scoring, you're essentially hoping for Tarasenko-like numbers out of Dal Colle. I'd be surprised if he reaches that level.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
two main things could lead to dal colle becoming a passenger: poor skating and an unwillingness to engage physically.

him becoming a "passenger" will have nothing to do with anything else.

IMO he is a passenger, independent of any of his physical skill sets. Again it is not a criticism, he just isn't the type of player to drive an offence. He is the perfect complementary piece and a lot of years there are top prospects just like him. Like I said, I think Tkachuk is that exact type of player this season. They are JVR types that are crucially important to a team, but take away a creative forward and their effectiveness is essentially neutralized. I expect MDC to be a 50-60 point player on JT's wing, but closer to 40-45 if he is relied upon as 'the guy' on his line.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
IMO he is a passenger, independent of any of his physical skill sets. Again it is not a criticism, he just isn't the type of player to drive an offence. He is the perfect complementary piece and a lot of years there are top prospects just like him. Like I said, I think Tkachuk is that exact type of player this season. They are JVR types that are crucially important to a team, but take away a creative forward and their effectiveness is essentially neutralized. I expect MDC to be a 50-60 point player on JT's wing, but closer to 40-45 if he is relied upon as 'the guy' on his line.

again, this is the part that is wrong. dal colle is the creative forward that any line would require. what will neutralize him is poor skating and a lack of physicality.

Strickland

Mar 1, 2007
You should probably temper your expectations then. Guys who Dal Colle projects to produce similar to (Paciaretty, Ryan, Neal, etc.) aren't even 35-35 guys regularly. Heck, the best of the bunch (Corey Perry) doesn't regularly produce 35-35.

In this day and age of low scoring, you're essentially hoping for Tarasenko-like numbers out of Dal Colle. I'd be surprised if he reaches that level.

Yeah. He may hit that in his best year, but he's a 30-25 guy most years. Which is fine.

I continue to think he's exactly what the Isles need. He's not gonna be able to drive possession on his own in the NHL but he's not gonna have to with the Isles. Not with Tavares and Strome and Nielsen and Barzal. But what he will bring is a willingness to shoot, and shoot often, that's lacking from the Isles. He's been averaging 4 shots a game with the Frontenacs.

So while parts of his game might not translate well to the NHL, his intelligence and shot will make him a quality player. And the things he needs work on, his skating and board work, are the easiest to improve.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Next season for him is going to be the telling one. If he has a 45+ point season in the AHL. I could see him being a 30 goal guy. If he scores like 20 points over the course of the season then probably not.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Dal Colle's playoff reputation continues to grow. Producing when games are most important. 14 points in 5 games now in the OHL playoffs.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Has he really been much better in the POs in his career than the regular season?

70 pts in 46 games. Hasn't been below 1.5 PPG since his debut season in the OHL with 5 pts in 9 games.

Last edited:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
70 pts in 46 games. Hasn't been below 1.5 PPG since his debut season in the
OHL with 5 pts in 9 games.

Yeah, I'm not saying he isn't good in the POs, I'm just not seeing that he's upping his game anymore than anyone else during them...

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Yeah, I'm not saying he isn't good in the POs, I'm just not seeing that he's upping his game anymore than anyone else during them...

Wasn't intending to make it seem as if you meant that. I'm just showing that his game certainly doesn't slow down in the playoffs, which is a damn good thing. Most players slow down simply due to playing tougher competition, higher intensity, etc.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Yeah Dal Colle's game going into the playoffs doesnt take a dip , but he doesnt go into a higher gear. Oshawa was very much a team. Even the year they won the mem cup Dal Colle wasnt as good as his stats indicated. Hes been good after being traded though. Seems to be finishing off his junior career strong.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Wasn't intending to make it seem as if you meant that. I'm just showing that his game certainly doesn't slow down in the playoffs, which is a damn good thing. Most players slow down simply due to playing tougher competition, higher intensity, etc.

Dal Colle's game doesn't dip, he maintains it at min and often elevates his game in the playoffs. There are a few players capable of doing this. It simply means to me, some players that play hard during the regular season have no more upside in the playoffs since they are at their max. Dal Colle on the otherhand has an extra gear he goes to. For me as a Isles fan, this is something that would have me optimistic for the future. Maybe he can turn into a lesser Glenn Anderson who was one of the more notorious players of his era of tuning it up when games were most important.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Dal Colle isn't flashy like a Ho-Sang or a Barzal. He picks and chooses his spots and plays a cerebral game. If he goes to the right spots and his shot stays really good he won't having a problem scoring at the next level. Tavares best asset is putting his line mates in great position to score. The isles just don't have a guy who can finish. Moulson benefited greatly from this. He couldn't skate for his life but he went to the right spots and had a good shot. Dal Colle has a lot more skill than Moulson and is a lot Bigger. Barzal does the same thing as for as playmaking so he will have 2 highly skilled centers to play with. He just has to continue to develop. He's in the perfect organization as far as the type of game he has and the type of players he will have to play with.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Dal Colle's playoff reputation continues to grow. Producing when games are most important. 14 points in 5 games now in the OHL playoffs.

I don't want to downplay having 14 points in 5 games but when you are the top team in your conference you generally play a weak team first round. That being said it's still rather impressive but it just needs to be put in proper perspective

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't want to downplay having 14 points in 5 games but when you are the top team in your conference you generally play a weak team first round. That being said it's still rather impressive but it just needs to be put in proper perspective

True, first round stats are typically taken with a grain of salt. For instance, Dal Colle's linemate Spencer Watson currently leads the league in playoff scoring, ahead of guys like Mitch Marner and Dylan Strome, and Warren Foegele leads the OHL with 8 goals in 5 games.

What is encouraging, both from a fan of the prospect perspective and as a fan of the Frontenacs, is that that line (Watson, MDC, Foegele) continues to produce in the playoffs. Even if they can't keep up such a ridiculous pace, it's showing they're not disappearing when it matters (which was more a concern of mine about Watson than Dal Colle).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad